Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Ford Mustang 2018 JD Power Initial Quality Study Award.png

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2018-Initial-Quality-Study/4170ENG/Midsize-Sporty-Car/1077

FORD MOTOR COMPANY EARNS ITS BEST-EVER SCORE IN 2018 J.D. POWER INITIAL QUALITY STUDY; FIVE NAMEPLATES RECEIVE HIGHEST HONORS
  • Ford Motor Company ranks No. 2 among all automakers in 2018 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study for the second straight year, earning its best overall score in the report’s 32-year history
  • Ford quality improves for the fifth straight year with competitive boost from easy-to-use SYNC® 3 technology available for almost every Ford and Lincoln vehicle
  • Ford and Lincoln vehicles earn five quality segment awards combined in the 2018 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study – more than any other automaker
DEARBORN, Mich., June 20, 2018 – Ford Motor Company has earned its best-ever scores in the 2018 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study, thanks to overall quality improvements that are outpacing the industry, especially in advanced audio, connectivity, entertainment and navigation technology. Now in its 32nd year, the J.D. Power study, which measures vehicle quality by analyzing the first 90 days of ownership, ranks Ford Motor Company No. 2 among all automakers.

Ford’s scores are helped by substantial improvements in technology quality. Almost every Ford and Lincoln vehicle equipped with SYNC® 3 connectivity technology, leads its quality segments with significantly better than average quality scores.

“Customers want a vehicle that keeps them connected whether they’re going places or just out enjoying a drive,” said Jim VanSlambrouck, Ford's Director of Quality for The Americas. “Our improving quality scores show we are delivering smart vehicles for a smart world that are also easy to use.”

Ford also showed improvements in exterior, seating, the drive experience, feature control displays, the interior and air conditioning categories. As a result Ford Motor Company earned more vehicle segment awards than any other automaker. Overall, the company has nine vehicles in the top three of their respective segments – including top honors for Ford Expedition, Ford Mustang, Ford F-Series Super Duty, Lincoln Continental and Lincoln MKC.

The Ford brand improves for the fifth year in a row and at a rate faster than the industry, showing 81 problems per 100 vehicles, down from 86 in 2017. Lincoln improves to a third-place ranking among premium brands, with 83 problems per 100 vehicles, down from 92 in 2017.

“While we’re pleased with our results, we know quality is a race that never ends – and we’ll keep pushing to deliver even higher-quality vehicles for our customers,” said VanSlambrouck.

With continuous improvements by both brands, Ford Motor Company retains its second-place ranking among all automakers in this year’s study.
Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
They didn't give it enough time for all the A/C system failures to start.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Nice. Kia is killing it. Who would have thought? The old "It's still a Kia" doesn't have much relevance anymore. I like the fact that Subaru is absolute last. I can smear this in all of my Subaru buddies faces just to troll them. Hell. Maybe I will print it out and take it to their meeting this evening LOL. I'm going to assume since Subaru has grown by like %300 every year that their production increase has in return degrade their quality.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
They didn't give it enough time for all the A/C system failures to start.
Do you have figures for the amount of failed ones VS the production numbers? Like every manufacturing failure it bet it's not even over 5% of sold Mustangs or it would have been a bigger deal.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
How can you get 5 stars for overall quality with only 2 stars for mechanical, drivetrain, interior and body quality? What witchcraft is this?

I love my Mustang, but there is no sense or order to these rankings.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
How can you get 5 stars for overall quality with only 2 stars for mechanical, drivetrain, interior and body quality? What witchcraft is this?

I love my Mustang, but there is no sense or order to these rankings.
Because it averages more than the other cars it compared against?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Overall quality is 5 while 4 categories have 2 dots? Um, sounds like J.D. Power alright.

This is all I think of now when I hear J.D. Power and Chevy:

[ame]

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Bollocks! Failing oil coolers on RHD mustangs mixing oil and coolants, failing air con if you use it for more than a year, 2018 gearboxes and engines going bang, not to mention panel gaps by Stevie Wonder.
What’s next JD power name Rolls Royce cheapest car to service?

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
What exactly is bad about the powertrain quality/design of the Mustang and Camaro? JD surveys don't make any sense.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Because it averages more than the other cars it compared against?
If you do a straight average of stars, Mustang and Camaro both get 3.5 and Challenger at 3.125 by my quick calculation averaging all except the first column (overall). Those weightings are definitely somewhat arbitrary and qualitative.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
It's initial quality ranking, which has never impressed me. I'd rather see a comparison a couple of years down the road, to factor in reliability. 90 days is still in the honeymoon phase, lol.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Yeah, you know this award is a joke when the Camaro gets 5 stars for Overall Quality - Mechanical. Send this BS award back.

[ame]

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Bollocks! Failing oil coolers on RHD mustangs mixing oil and coolants, failing air con if you use it for more than a year, 2018 gearboxes and engines going bang, not to mention panel gaps by Stevie Wonder.
What’s next JD power name Rolls Royce cheapest car to service?
It's a Ford. If you want better quality, spend a lot more money, or have less content and performance.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Looks like a race of the incompetent. If I were an engineer that worked on the design of the Mustang, I'd be really pissed at the careless way they throw them together.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
What the heck is Powertrain Quality - Design?

Yeah dude that's a beautifully designed powertrain you got there.
Sponsored