Sponsored

Ford Performance track shocks (M-18000-F) with Steeda min drops?

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Would this work out to be a good combo? I was waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting) for the Bils to come out for the rear but I've been sitting on suspension money for two months and I can't stand the way this car rides any more with the roads worse than ever from winter.

I ended up with this Ford shock kit brand new for a cheap price from a buddy that decided to go with coilovers instead, so I'm looking for springs to combine. I'm thinking the Steeda minimum drop is spot on for looks, I'd be OK with my original non-PP GT springs to be honest but I think the performance is probably lacking if I'm changing shocks already. The BMR min drop setup is just a wee bit more aggressive and more than I'm looking for.

Will this have any negative ride characteristics? I'm looking for a little more firmness, the stock bouncy castle ride makes me fell like I'm in an old caddy.

This will be combined with the Steeda rear shock mounts and the BMR CB005 kit (anything else I should absolutely do while I'm working on it?).
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they'd feel great. I'd prefer if those min drop springs were 800 rear like the ultralite linears. 200/800 is a very good stiffness balance. No worries though, great pairing. I'm super impressed with the performance of the Ford Racing track dampers.

OP
OP
ForYourOwnGood

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Yes they'd feel great. I'd prefer if those min drop springs were 800 rear like the ultralite linears. 200/800 is a very good stiffness balance. No worries though, great pairing. I'm super impressed with the performance of the Ford Racing track dampers.
Cool. I really wanted the bilstiens (maybe in 2-3 more years? lol) but I've had it with the waiting. I don't like Koni or Koni derivatives that much, never enjoyed the way those ride. I got this full set for $400 still in the box so I think I'll just use them, can't wait for a week of vacation in a few weeks so I can get them on the car.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Get the GT350R front and rear spring to go with them, that's what I'm planning on. The spring should be $200-225.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Get the GT350R front and rear spring to go with them, that's what I'm planning on. The spring should be $200-225.
Those or the revised BMR SP083 handling springs (very similar rates, better ride height balance, IMO) are a superb pairing with the Ford Racing dampers.

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
What about the Ford Performance track springs with those shocks? They're engineered to work together. The FP track springs, while progressive, have max rates that are on par with the GT350R springs. GT350R is 240/914, FP track 250/913 max.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What about the Ford Performance track springs with those shocks? They're engineered to work together. The FP track springs, while progressive, have max rates that are on par with the GT350R springs. GT350R is 240/914, FP track 250/913 max.
They work well certainly. Those that have tried both seem to prefer the consistency and feel of a linear rear spring. [MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] has switched most recently. The R rears even, are a slight dual rate rather than a progressive spring, and almost all of the lighter rate is taken up at ride height, so for most cornering and ride situations, it's a linear spring. The FP rear springs are also a dual rate, but much more of the spring is the lighter rate coils.

OP
OP
ForYourOwnGood

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
So I drove the car today finally, and it is leagues better than stock. It feels very tight and composed now. I still need to get an alignment but it tracks perfectly straight and the ride quality is superb while still keeping almost all of the ground clearance. Very very happy with this setup.

I don't want 1.5" drop. I'd rather leave it stock if that's my only option. As it is, I think these springs dropped a little more than 0.5" on the front anyways.

From the general section a quick side shot I posted of how it sits now:

4l68vs.jpg

J.P.B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The photo is the car with the Steeda minimum drop, correct?

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The photo is the car with the Steeda minimum drop, correct?
Yes they are. Let us know if we can help assist with any questions?

Best Regards,

TJ

Sponsored

Blackhawk25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe S
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Hey ForYourOwnGood, Joe from S florida here, how is your experience with the Steeda minimum drop and the Track Dampers after a few months of driving?

OP
OP
ForYourOwnGood

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Hey ForYourOwnGood, Joe from S florida here, how is your experience with the Steeda minimum drop and the Track Dampers after a few months of driving?

Excellent. Feels great, I haven't really been able to push the limits of what it can do (especially with warmed up MPSS) but I plan to take it to the local road course if I can get time this summer.

For daily driving, its is definitely leagues better than the stock overly soft and compliant but still somehow harsh setup and I don't scrape the front splitter on the bad driveways I have to go in. My only real complaint is that with the wide tires this setup is a little worse for tramlining than stock was, it follows grooves in the road like its super glued onto it. :cheers:

Blackhawk25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe S
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Thanks for the review, I have a 2017 GT PP and I just installed the Minimum drop Steeda springs last weekend and kept the factory dampers, I do run 285 x 10 front and 305 x 11 rears, I can say I have a similar experience as you and I can only imagine by adding the track dampers the feel will improve even more.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Last edited: