Sponsored

3M or Other Double-Sided Tape for Front License Plate?

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Here in TX, a front license plate is required, so I’m thinking about mounting mine with a strong double-sided tape. I’m also planning on forming the plate to match the curve of the bumper so that there’s no more gap than the thickness of the tape. At least that’s the plan... anyone else using some form of adhesive for their front plate mount?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Here in TX, a front license plate is required, so I’m thinking about mounting mine with a strong double-sided tape. I’m also planning on forming the plate to match the curve of the bumper so that there’s no more gap than the thickness of the tape. At least that’s the plan... anyone else using some form of adhesive for their front plate mount?

Thanks!
If the plate is required why not just screw on a plate holder like every other car that needs a front licence plate?

If you want to remove the plate good luck. Double sided tape strong enough for this purpose won't come off easily or at all. This would be just as permanent as screws.

If you were thinking of removing it for shows or whatever get a show and go holder. It screws below the bumper and folds under when you don't want it there.
20180615_012058.jpg
20180615_012043.jpg

17again

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Grabber Blue
I have sto-n-go on mine and love it, comes right off if I want and there were no new holes drilled, used existing holes for mount with longer screws included in the kit.
june stang2.jpg

scott6809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTCS
I went with Craig's Custom Bracket for a year without issues. In MA you are required to have a front plate as well, however if you have a green plate, you only need one. I had a green plate on my truck so I went to the registry and transferred my truck plate to the car and now I don't need one ;) . Green plates were from the early 90's and not available anymore. I had that plate since high school so I was lucky I never canceled my registration..

tukn20s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
I went with Craig's Custom Bracket for a year without issues. In MA you are required to have a front plate as well, however if you have a green plate, you only need one. I had a green plate on my truck so I went to the registry and transferred my truck plate to the car and now I don't need one ;) . Green plates were from the early 90's and not available anymore. I had that plate since high school so I was lucky I never canceled my registration..
same here, go with craigs bracket.

Sponsored

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
I had the Craig's on my 2016 and now I have the Sto-n-Go on my 2018.

I feel the Sto-n-Go is a better design and more stout.

But, I like the idea of the 3M tape. At least that method will not put holes in your bumper and it is reversible.

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel
I did something similar as a temporary solution. I made an aluminum 90 bracket that fit the back side of the plate and then had a few inches to go under the bottom edge of the center bumper. I bolted the plate to the bracket, and then used double sided foam tape to hold it to the bottom of the bumper. The plate ended up pretty much in the stock location, and the point in the center of the bumper meant that there was room for the plate bolts not to touch the paint. I was later able to remove it with no damage to the paint and no holes drilled. It was on there for 9 months though, so it held up fine in day to day use, and even survived going through car washes.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Not to derail topic but have you run into a LEO in Texas that said something about the front plate? All the neighboring states don't have front plates and I haven't ran one on my Mustang for years. Fudge, I am so getting a ticket for this tonight!!

STEVO 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
I would not stick a permanent 3M tape on there.

Use 3M's command line. You can stick it on and it will have a very strong bond. When you want to take it off, you just pull on the tab and it will come right off in one clean pc. Just make sure to set it up so the tab is not visible, yet accessible for when you want to remove it.

I use this stuff all the time.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Just go with the Sto N Sho bracket for ~$60 and call it a day. Tape is pushing it.

Sponsored

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
Not to derail topic but have you run into a LEO in Texas that said something about the front plate? All the neighboring states don't have front plates and I haven't ran one on my Mustang for years. Fudge, I am so getting a ticket for this tonight!!
I did. Just a warning, but I got the Stow N Sho bracket anyways just to avoid them having a reason.

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
This is an easy solution...you just need to move to the closest state that doesn't require a front plate. (Mic drop):lol:

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
I haven't run a front plate since 1978 in Texas. Got my first and only warning in 2016 by DPS.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Another vote for the Stow-n-Go.

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
same here, go with craigs bracket.
Craigs is way behind, they make no 2018 option and when I ping them they didn't seem to have any priority behind it. I have STO N SHO option, but unfortunately it is just low enough on my PP2 to scrape so I took it back off. I keep it in the car and plan to show how it scraped my bracket (pretend like it ripped off earlier that day) and how I'm on my way to get it repaired, lol.....
Sponsored