Sponsored

Steering ratio kinda slow ('18 GT)

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Only been driving it a few days, but I notice the steering ratio on my new GT seems slower than I expected (and feels slower than my '11 GT). To make a sharp curve or 90 degree corner takes more steering input than I expected for this type of car. A Motor Trend comparison showed a 16.0:1 steering ratio for the '18 Mustang, which is practically family car territory. Anyone else feel like Ford should tweak this to bring it more in line with other sporty cars? (Typically a 13 or 14 ratio.)

I don't know if PP1 or PP2 makes any difference here, as I think they all get the same rack. My car is "base" suspension & tires.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Doesn't seem to be the case on my '17, but I've also done a few suspension mods and wheels/tires and I'm on the PP shocks. I'm usually driving around in normal mode and sometimes switch to sport. Comfort is too light.

OP
OP
Zathras

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah, I have the Sport and Track modes, and they make the steering effort higher, but I don't think that affects the actual ratio, just the effort level. I could be wrong.

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Never really thought about it but now that you mention it, yea it does seem a little disconnected. My 06 seemed more direct.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Compare to my WRX which feels like a nervous rat, my GT is more of a boat.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
While I would really like a quicker ratio driving around parking lots and such (or even autocrossing), when handling the car at the limit with some speed, like on a track, I really appreciate it being a tad slower. It makes it easier to correct without overdoing it. Seems like a good thing for non-expert folk.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
While I would really like a quicker ratio driving around parking lots and such (or even autocrossing), when handling the car at the limit with some speed, like on a track, I really appreciate it being a tad slower. It makes it easier to correct without overdoing it. Seems like a good thing for non-expert folk.
Agreed.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I personally think having a slower rack allow more precise grip control. A fast rack makes the under steer come much sooner.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
What the steering ratio for the GT350..?
16.5:1 vs 16:1 on the GT
My WRX is 14.4:1 and I love how fast it changes direction.

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
The ratio on the PP2 is perfect. Still not sure what it is though.
I totally agree. I took it out for its first autocross the day after i bought it and the steering was perfect, even for a very tight and low speed course.
Sponsored