Sponsored

Anyone using Girodisc's rotors on their GT350?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hi all -

Planning for some big trips this summer and working through my list of consumables. I'm exploring brake options before I commit and am wondering if anyone has tried the Girodisc rotors? Wanted to see if anyone has some real feedback/data points to share?

I'm currently testing out Raybestos ST43s on the OEM rotors. When I used G-Loc R16s last year, the OEM rotors last 15 track days before they were toast. But that was before R compound tires, which are looking like they might cut the life by 1/3rd or so.

I have 8 track days scheduled within a 2ish week time period that will be hell on the brakes and am looking for something maybe more durable. Thoughts? Anyone have real feedback?
Sponsored

Last edited:

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Are you looking for suggestions on pads or rotors?

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The girodiscs are rotors.

OP I don't have anything for you on that one. I know they are pricey, if it was me I would be ordering a second set and keeping them in the car until you get the the track.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Rotors. Just wondering if anyone is running them for hard track use on the GT350 and what their feedback is.

The girodiscs are rotors.

OP I don't have anything for you on that one. I know they are pricey, if it was me I would be ordering a second set and keeping them in the car until you get the the track.
If I go with OEM, I plan to start on a new set and carry a back up with me in the trailer. Too much travel and cost in track fees to miss out from a few $$ on rotors :)

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I had them on my EVO X. They were very good.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
What about the girodisc rotors would make them last longer than OEM?

Do they have a significantly better venting arrangement that would keep temps down? Or are they a different material that won't wear as much?

They mention having optimized cooling, using curved vanes, but the OEM rotors use curved vanes as well (but not sure how the density compares). Looking at photos, the girodisc vanes look to be more tightly spaced, which would be better for cooling.

One nice thing about the OEM rotors is their relatively low cost. They run ~$550 for a set of front rotors. I don't see prices for the GT350 rotors on the girodisc website. On amazon, the regular Mustang GT girodisc rotors are $800 for the cast iron rings only.

I imagine the GT350 ones would be similar in price, so they would defnitely need to have an improvement in life for the cost to balance out.

Anyway, I'm sure you've thought about all those aspects already, but (having just replaced my own OEM rotors due to pad deposits) it help me to think it through a bit. I'll be interested to see which way you end up going, and hearing your results.

If you really want to go nuts, you could get the AP Racing setup, but you're talking quite a bit more at that point.

-T

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Do they have a significantly better venting arrangement that would keep temps down? Or are they a different material that won't wear as much?

They mention having optimized cooling, using curved vanes, but the OEM rotors use curved vanes as well (but not sure how the density compares). Looking at photos, the girodisc vanes look to be more tightly spaced, which would be better for cooling.

One nice thing about the OEM rotors is their relatively low cost. They run ~$550 for a set of front rotors. I don't see prices for the GT350 rotors on the girodisc website. On amazon, the regular Mustang GT girodisc rotors are $800 for the cast iron rings only.

I imagine the GT350 ones would be similar in price, so they would defnitely need to have an improvement in life for the cost to balance out.

Anyway, I'm sure you've thought about all those aspects already, but (having just replaced my own OEM rotors due to pad deposits) it help me to think it through a bit. I'll be interested to see which way you end up going, and hearing your results.

If you really want to go nuts, you could get the AP Racing setup, but you're talking quite a bit more at that point.

-T
You've hit the nail on the head of what I'm trying to figure out. So far i can't find conclusive evidence either way. I am tempted to try them just for the data point. But you've also brought up my real hesitation - the AP racing setup.

I foresee heavy, heavy track use for the next 2-3 years and I am seriously tempted by the AP kit for my big upgrade this winter - for both weight and the ability to run 18s. Upgrading to the Girodisc rotors if I go that path seems like a waste.

7litergt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (H4200), 1966 Fastback 427W
Interested in these rotors as well. Question to you guys with lots more track time than me; are you seeing any signs of cracking around the drilled holes in the OEMs?

I figured the biggest plus would be going to a non-drilled rotor if the OEMs were cracking at all in those areas with all the extreme heat cycles.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I think my rotors where about 400 for a pair (199 each)

-T

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Interested in these rotors as well. Question to you guys with lots more track time than me; are you seeing any signs of cracking around the drilled holes in the OEMs?

I figured the biggest plus would be going to a non-drilled rotor if the OEMs were cracking at all in those areas with all the extreme heat cycles.
My cracks showed up after about (4) days. Here are what mine looked like at around (12) days. These are with street tires, so the stress was quite a bit less. I'm expecting 1/3-1/2 less life with R compound tires.

20180119_163905.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I think my rotors where about 400 for a pair (199 each)
It's about $463 shipped to my door per set of fronts for me. I'm estimating going through 2-3 a year

7litergt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (H4200), 1966 Fastback 427W
Yeah, those cracks are no joke. Ive only got one full day on mine at the moment, things to look forward to I guess...

Either way, solid rotors could probably relieve that pain, but they certainly aren't cheap.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
My cracks showed up after about (4) days. Here are what mine looked like at around (12) days. These are with street tires, so the stress was quite a bit less. I'm expecting 1/3-1/2 less life with R compound tires.

20180119_163905.jpg
Mine looked worse than that. I have been told till the cracks meet you are ok to keep using them. I replaced mine though,

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Mine looked worse than that. I have been told till the cracks meet you are ok to keep using them. I replaced mine though,
I've heard that too. I just replaced mine because the pads were toast as well. But scary pushing brake life to the limit on a 3800lbs car in heavy breaking zones from 150-40mph :eyebulge:

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I've heard that too. I just replaced mine because the pads were toast as well. But scary pushing brake life to the limit on a 3800lbs car in heavy breaking zones from 150-40mph :eyebulge:
Mine were still in spec thickness wise, but I didnt want to them to start falling apart in the middle of the day. Im pleased they are so cheap TBH.
Sponsored