Sponsored

Purchasing new GT350 out of state and registering in CA

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
Has anyone purchased new 350 out of state and registered it in CA? What sort of fees and hoops did you have to jump through? Are all gt350s CARB legal?

Thanks
Sponsored

5.2 L V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
its no problem. Yes, all Mustangs including GT350 are 50 state legal.

Im in San Diego. I purchased in AZ. you buy the car, AZ will charge you CA taxes and you drive it back to CA.

Once back in CA, you need to get it smogged within a week I think. Its fast and they just plug it in. takes 10 min. Then the DMV must inspect the car (at the DMV) again within about a week. Takes 10 min once they get to it (they just look for the white sticker under the hood). Pay the reg fee (I think) and you're done. easy....and you don't have to screw with CA ADM's.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
its no problem. Yes, all Mustangs including GT350 are 50 state legal.

Im in San Diego. I purchased in AZ. you buy the car, AZ will charge you CA taxes and you drive it back to CA.

Once back in CA, you need to get it smogged within a week I think. Its fast and they just plug it in. takes 10 min. Then the DMV must inspect the car (at the DMV) again within about a week. Takes 10 min once they get to it (they just look for the white sticker under the hood). Pay the reg fee (I think) and you're done. easy....and you don't have to screw with CA ADM's.

Hope that helps.
Thanks! Yes, it helps. Do you remember what you paid in total extra for not purchasing in CA? If any? i cant find on the DMVs site how they come up with the registering price on an out of state.

The dealer is located in Utah and its a great deal for a 2018.

5.2 L V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Nothing to speak of. Just paid AZ dealer sticker, then a fee at DMV...30 bucks maybe, Smog fee, and done. There was no "penalty" so to speak for buying out of state. Thats how I remember it anyway. And I bought it Jan 3 2018....so the rules would not have changed.

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
Thank you. The dealer in Utah made it sound like it was a big deal. I registered my used car from out of state when I moved to CA and it was a breeze. actually got it registered at the place that smogged it for a small fee, completely worth it to avoid the DMV. Sounds like a new car is about the same, Thanks again and Ill be posting pictures of my new girl next week if all goes to plan!

Sponsored

5.2 L V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Wow. Very exciting. I remember how excited I was....still am frankly after 4 months. I hope it works out. These are fantastic cars with a great community.
Pics for sure!

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
One thing to keep in mind not all states will charge the CA state TX and some may be optional. Weather you pay it at the dealer or DMV you'll have to account for it.

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
how does the out of state dealer charging CA taxes work? They send money to California on my behalf somehow? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I do not see how it would work the way "5.2 L V8" claims.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
When I have purchased cars from out of State, the dealer will charge me their local tax and then when I hit the DMV (Illinois, not CA) they will collect the difference in additional tax that is required to title the car in my State. I wondered how a foreign state can pay tax back to California as well. Congrats on the purchase btw!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-350 | 1966 A-Code fastback
I just did this, Dealer just figured out correct sales tax and I paid for it in my financing like normal. They are also handling the registration for me (I did pay for it).

All in all, pretty straight forward. I say drive it home. I did and it was a freaking blast!!! Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Sponsored

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Bought a few from out of state.

1. Some state will charge you a sales tax. Some won’t. Don’t really matters as you still pay the same amount in the end. DMV will credit you for sales tax paid out of state.

2. New car must be registered at DMV. Cannot be done at AAA.

3. If it is used car, it must have over 7,500 miles. Or your life will suck.

4. Even new car must be smogged.

5. Make sure the car is 50 states car. Have a CARB sticker on it.

6. You must register the car within 30 (I think) days of “entering” CA. Make sure you got that right on the form.

1stGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I bought my car in Texas, paid my local tax rate there they sent it to DMV. Had the car smogge d, filled out the form for inspection and had DMV inspect made an appointment for registration simple if you follow the process.

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
Thanks for the help all! as a side question the dealer is offering me a 18 model race red with black stripes for MSRP. how is this deal? only thing is the expected delivery date to dealer is middle of July!

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Mmmmm, Race Red. Me likey. Waiting 2 months, not good.

G3NGO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The 7500 miles applies to cars that don’t meet California emissions. This wouldn’t apply to the GT350 since it’s a 50 state car.

Bought a few from out of state.

1. Some state will charge you a sales tax. Some won’t. Don’t really matters as you still pay the same amount in the end. DMV will credit you for sales tax paid out of state.

2. New car must be registered at DMV. Cannot be done at AAA.

3. If it is used car, it must have over 7,500 miles. Or your life will suck.

4. Even new car must be smogged.

5. Make sure the car is 50 states car. Have a CARB sticker on it.

6. You must register the car within 30 (I think) days of “entering” CA. Make sure you got that right on the form.
Sponsored