Sponsored

Stay With Present Car or buy GT?

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
This. The quickest way to get sick of a fun car is to drive it daily. If I drove my GT everyday and commuted in it, I'd be tired of it in no time. It would lose its appeal and sucky gas mileage would be accentuated.

Get a fun car for the weekends/little traffic and it will always be fun. That's my setup right now.
Agree with this. V6 + Vette for fun

My set up will be Mustang DD + Lotus for fun
Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I'm gonna be captain obvious here, but it's because the 1st three (plus EB) are of the same lineage and are Mustangs sharing large portions of their design, with parts that are interchangeable in many cases; While a Camaro and Corvette are, well, different cars entirely. :lol:
I fully understand it since many of the chassis and suspension mods are interchangeable (as matter of fact, I'm running 350R sway bars).

My theory is this is the reason why certain "retiree types with money", buy Corvettes and drive them on the right lane 10 MPH below the speed limit, rather than GT350s. I see many newer Corvettes around my neighborhood and work, but rarely any GT350s.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
You mean like this:

Corvette_Z06_2018.jpg

If I was diagnosed with cancer this was mine and 14,000 dollars off! I didn’t have cancer so back to V6 Mustang and base Vette. Such is life...
As a guy who went thru prostate cancer and has been cancer free for a year+, if I'm wasn't happy with my vert GT, I would still buy the vette (and whatever I could afford). I understand the 'Last kick at the Cat", with cancer and wanting to enjoy whatever time there is. But having more time to enjoy life, I realized time is to short to waste. Buy whatever makes you happy. If that's a base Vette...go for it. If a GS, do that. Only you know what you want, so do whatever makes you happy.:thumbsup:

BTW..... I am glad for you that your diagnosis was in your favor:cheers:

Maybe that's a sign to upgrade and enjoy your vette for a long time.....:D

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
As a guy who went thru prostate cancer and has been cancer free for a year+, if I'm wasn't happy with my vert GT, I would still buy the vette (and whatever I could afford). I understand the 'Last kick at the Cat", with cancer and wanting to enjoy whatever time there is. But having more time to enjoy life, I realized time is to short to waste. Buy whatever makes you happy. If that's a base Vette...go for it. If a GS, do that. Only you know what you want, so do whatever makes you happy.:thumbsup:

BTW..... I am glad for you that your diagnosis was in your favor:cheers:

Maybe that's a sign to upgrade and enjoy your vette for a long time.....:D

The cash goes to my advocasy which some say I’m very good at. That first and cars fifth. I do cars on the cheap. But if I had cancer I wanted my Vette and wanted it quick as I could have a go at it before surgery and chemo made things difficult. You know all about that. I didn’t want to be put in the car like a baby or find I could not take the harsh ride anymore. Just get the car quick and drive it hard then I can look at it and rub it with a diaper... But with the all clear and thirty years left it seems I have to be frugal and so it is back to base cars and doing things on the cheap. It’s all about the kids and their future. Fast cars are a dime a dozen.

And thanks for the well wishes and continued good health to you too.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I'm frugal too to a degree and I was going to get a Vette instead of the Mustang as my weekend fun car. I have a '14 Jetta 1.8 for grocery getting, dog hauling and my parent borrow it when they stay in CA for a few months.

Could have gotten a base '17 6spd Vette w/NPP exhaust as only option for $50K otd (tags, tags, everything). After test driving it I passed on it. Wanted to love it and I did like it. But shifter was pretty crappy and stock tall gearing on the base was not to my liking at all.

When I found my barely used supercharged GT, one test drive was all at took. I liked it more the Vette overall and saved $16K. Just the comfort, ease of getting in/out, less road noise....all that the Mustang GT has. Maybe I'm just getting old. ;) Also the base Vettes just don't look that great to me. The C6 looked sexier IMO.

But since you already have a Mustang V6, another Mustang for a fun car wouldn't be right. A Vette would be a good choice. Just make sure your roof doesn't squeak.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I'm frugal too to a degree and I was going to get a Vette instead of the Mustang as my weekend fun car. I have a '14 Jetta 1.8 for grocery getting, dog hauling and my parent borrow it when they stay in CA for a few months.

Could have gotten a base '17 6spd Vette w/NPP exhaust as only option for $50K otd (tags, tags, everything). After test driving it I passed on it. Wanted to love it and I did like it. But shifter was pretty crappy and stock tall gearing on the base was not to my liking at all.

When I found my barely used supercharged GT, one test drive was all at took. I liked it more the Vette overall and saved $16K. Just the comfort, ease of getting in/out, less road noise....all that the Mustang GT has. Maybe I'm just getting old. ;) Also the base Vettes just don't look that great to me. The C6 looked sexier IMO.

But since you already have a Mustang V6, another Mustang for a fun car wouldn't be right. A Vette would be a good choice. Just make sure your roof doesn't squeak.

They all squeak! :lol: I checked but some say there are kits that fix this. This does not bug me as much as the elcheapo brakes but even that has been upgraded. Then there are the plugged rear fender scoops. I am used to the base car mentality which is sort of like the V6 Mustang thing. Though I have noticed the Ecoboost has inherited the “whipping boy” designation now...

Last edited:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
They all squeak! :lol: I checked but some say there are kits that fix this.
Test drove an '09 Vette with 12K mi on it years ago. The roof squeaked over any road imperfection. It was ridiculous and totally annoying. Corvette forum had various homemade fixes but none appeared to be reliable. Needless to say I passed on the car as I wasn't plopping my $ down to be irritated.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP

When I found my barely used supercharged GT, one test drive was all at took. I liked it more the Vette overall and saved $16K. Just the comfort, ease of getting in/out, less road noise....all that the Mustang GT has. Maybe I'm just getting old. ;)
I think this is what that separates true automobile enthusiasts from folks who just buy certain cars for the name or looks. I bet that you don't drive your Stang on the right lane going 10 under.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think this is what that separates true automobile enthusiasts from folks who just buy certain cars for the name or looks. I bet that you don't drive your Stang on the right lane going 10 under.
Usually in the left lane going 40 over, silently praying for no cops and a lenient judge.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Well, I would trade the V6 in on, a brand new 2019 PP2/etc..! (& stay with ONE car.)

The reasoning is simple, it give you nearly 99% of what you are looking for and is 80% cheaper (ergo: best logical decision). Knowing that the base Mustang has more horsepower than the base Corvette, turns this into a handling/driveability argument.

I agree a Mustang is no Corvette. But I have not yet gripped the new 2018 PP2 yet, and tried to corner/rotate it, for comparison to the base corvette. I suspect the handling is similar given magneride & nearly squared up, I bet they hold similar Gs, too.

You'll then have oddles of cash left over to have winter wheels w/blizzaks & 3M film for winterized driving & getting to know your daily... as a track car, all-in-one.

I've owned/ordered a Corvette (Z06), I was glad to sell it, because the car was emotional dead. I went strait to BMW-M. Many of my friends own Corvette's and they are effortless cars than can be pushed to no end.

But the Coyote goes to eleven...

I understand your love for a v6, but what is so bad with trading her in on a v8..?

Sponsored

Pablotheartist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
I was in the same position as you with my v6 and a good deal came up lol. After 2 months of owning the stingray I can definitely say it was worth every penny. I also considered a GT as well and couldn't justify purchasing one unless it was an 18 and even then the pricing on 18s weren't what I was comfortable with paying for one.
IMG_1496.JPG
IMG_1497.JPG
IMG_1843.JPG

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
:ninja:
Well, I would trade the V6 in on, a brand new 2019 PP2/etc..! (& stay with ONE car.)

The reasoning is simple, it give you nearly 99% of what you are looking for and is 80% cheaper (ergo: best logical decision). Knowing that the base Mustang has more horsepower than the base Corvette, turns this into a handling/driveability argument.

I agree a Mustang is no Corvette. But I have not yet gripped the new 2018 PP2 yet, and tried to corner/rotate it, for comparison to the base corvette. I suspect the handling is similar given magneride & nearly squared up, I bet they hold similar Gs, too.

You'll then have oddles of cash left over to have winter wheels w/blizzaks & 3M film for winterized driving & getting to know your daily... as a track car, all-in-one.

I've owned/ordered a Corvette (Z06), I was glad to sell it, because the car was emotional dead. I went strait to BMW-M. Many of my friends own Corvette's and they are effortless cars than can be pushed to no end.

But the Coyote goes to eleven...

I understand your love for a v6, but what is so bad with trading her in on a v8..?

I tried that on the weekend to get a left over 2017 but that ship has sailed... Plus I’m kind of grooving to the idea of finally getting a weekend car. The V6 is a perfect DD, utterly reliable with low maintenance. Drove it all winter in snow no problem. The problem is that all my new car purchases in my life were Mustangs (two 5.0s and the present V6) and I need something different. The V6 stays. Fact is I love her and this weekend proved it. And I’ll say it - they are fast! Time for something non-Ford...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I see, you are looking for something new.
Well, everyone is going to tell you, that the Corvette is a hella of a car (obvious is obvious) & nobody calls them junk, etc. Most of it's complaints are more about the nuances and nths of degrees.

I did enjoy the low center of gravity and tight turns.

To each their own. I keep an SUV around for Michigan winters and/or hauling and a "sports car" in the garage for daily & track. I am upgrading to Mustang & Bronco (mini bronco?) over the next year.

amfm144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2012 Mustang V6
Please stay away from 2018 GT if you can, I am totally regretting it.

Not a Mustang vs. thread or inter-model thread.

Anyway I was at a dealer lot and noticed the V6s are holding their value where I live. Like as used 2016 is asking more than I paid new for my 2017 V6. The dealers here are also for 2018, bringing in base GTs with upgraded radios or PP1. I actually, seriously, considered moving into a V8 if they would give me my money back on the V6 and not screw me somewhere else. I bought it from fleet sales so this could actually happen. I could get a second chance here!

The rub is that if I go 5.0 again I will give up getting a Corvette. The V6 was a DD and the Vette would be a weekend. But the GT would do both.

So what do you guys think? And don’t screw around as I can actually do this. The only concern is the motor trouble on the new GTs. My V6 is absolutely trouble free and I kind of feel bad to give up a car that is a perfect DD. So should I keep this and get a Vette or go cheap and trade in?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I was in the same position as you with my v6 and a good deal came up lol. After 2 months of owning the stingray I can definitely say it was worth every penny. I also considered a GT as well and couldn't justify purchasing one unless it was an 18 and even then the pricing on 18s weren't what I was comfortable with paying for one.
If the GTs were outside of what you were comfortable paying, do you mind sharing what you ended up getting the vette for?

[MENTION=22097]amfm144[/MENTION] you're one of the first people I've seen say that, any reason why?
Sponsored