Sponsored

Sell a GT350R for an air-cooled 911??

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I like the idea of owning a classic or older sports car more than the reality of it. Every time I drive one I leave feeling pretty much how you did. If I got a classic car I'd most likely need tens of thousands to replace the motor, suspension and interior to modern standards (not to mention restoring other things, body, electrical etc etc). Then obviously what is the point.

I would like to do this to a 68 or 69 Camaro as that is probably my favorite body style of all time. I know sacrilegious to say that on a Mustang forum. ;)
That's my retirement project - except recreating a better version of my first car - a '67 Chevelle. This time around no SS, since I don't want to hack up a SS car.

It's easy to do now if you have the time / space etc. Good friend of mine had a 1st gen Camaro Z/28 ( a real one - had it since the 80's, it was in the family since it was a couple of years old). He did a full blown resto. Hated how it drove...it was fun no and again...but it wasn't a good driver.

He sold it....made a profit (he did all the work himself). Bought a cheap, rust free '69 from the West Coast. Updated suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, a drop out LS1 and T56 from a donor car, complete with AC etc. Updated the interior etc. He and his wife put like 40K miles on that car in a few years going to shows, vacations and just road trips. Sold it last year - offer was too good to pass up, and now he's itching to do the same to a '67-68 Mustang Fastback with Coyote / 6 speed drivetrain.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I like the idea of owning a classic or older sports car more than the reality of it. Every time I drive one I leave feeling pretty much how you did. If I got a classic car I'd most likely need tens of thousands to replace the motor, suspension and interior to modern standards (not to mention restoring other things, body, electrical etc etc). Then obviously what is the point.

I would like to do this to a 68 or 69 Camaro as that is probably my favorite body style of all time. I know sacrilegious to say that on a Mustang forum. ;)
I agree on the beauty of the early Camaros, but my understanding is they handled poorly - even compared to other cars of the era. Early Mustang front suspension really sucks as well, though.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I agree on the beauty of the early Camaros, but my understanding is they handled poorly - even compared to other cars of the era. Early Mustang front suspension really sucks as well, though.
Easily corrected now. Just takes time to do the work. Personally I enjoy wrenching.

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Here is what I would do. The RS4 is an awesome dd but I'd dump it. Get the air cooled 911 and keep the R. Get a cheap used SUV for days when it rains or you need a back seat or cargo space. This is what I did. I have all impractical cars in my garage so I picked up a used SUV. Interestingly I Dumped my practical Audi B8 S4 to essentially do what you are considering which is why I purchased the used SUV. I don't love the SUV but I don't drive it often.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Certainly, it's impossible to compare the performance to a modern car. It seems crazy but I'm in love with how they look and the huge aftermarket. None of them look exactly alike.
Not crazy (not that you need me to validate you ;)), but that is the cool thing about our car hobby there so many ways you can go with it. Like the old car salesman say, there is an ass for every seat.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Not crazy (not that you need me to validate you ;)), but that is the cool thing about our car hobby there so many ways you can go with it. Like the old car salesman say, there is an ass for every seat.
My wife would tell me that I have too many seats and not enough asses.

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
And you will miss air conditioning that actually works too.

billapex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I sold my '01 911 Turbo for the GT350. I loved the car, but it sprung a leak, which would require removing the engine...and it then would need a clutch, etc. I'm glad I sold it in pieces to an enthusiast, so I could move into the GT350 with a warranty.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
And you will miss air conditioning that actually works too.
Not a good argument - Mustang evaporators, that is all.

Sponsored

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Not a good argument - Mustang evaporators, that is all.
Yes good argument, because when Mustang evaporators fail its covered by the Ford extended warranty that I (and most here) have. And when the Mustang evaporators do work normally (as most here do), the interior actually is comfortably cool.

Trj3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
For an investment yes. For driving, no. Ive had both.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Yes good argument, because when Mustang evaporators fail its covered by the Ford extended warranty that I (and most here) have. And when the Mustang evaporators do work normally (as most here do), the interior actually is comfortably cool.
Need to be right much? I was making a joke about the crappy condensers...that is all. Wow.

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Need to be right much? I was making a joke about the crappy condensers...that is all. Wow.
Look at your own post #55 above, and we can also ask "need to be right much?", and then look who resembles that remark, lol.

Thanks for clarifying that you only intended to make a joke. Point made.

:thumbsup:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I wouldn’t mind having both... but the R is hands down too much of a great car with much more character to lose over an AC911.
Sponsored