OP
OP
TooSoonJunior

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
No, it cannot. The tool from whipple downloads a protected tune file from their server and installs it to the vehicle. You cannot load anything but a whipple (technically a ford racing) calibration with the Whipple tool. In fact their handheld doesn't actually hold any tunes, it just connects your laptop to the vehicle and the laptop loads the tune (using their software)
Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Lund tuned my car,never had the Whipple calibration. The drive ability is stock. Idle might me a hair rough if I want to be picky.

The tune is conservative. I am only running 17.5 max timing at WOT while seeing -3 to 4 Knock. Boost is a max of 13.4 at 7700 with the 3.625 pulley(stock headers/cats). I literally only have 20 miles since loading the last tune, not sure if the ECM will adapt as I drive more.

I also have a 100 octane tune that I haven't loaded up yet so I am curious to see the timing there.

If your looking for every last pony you may want to discuss your goals with your perspective tuner in advance. I am largely OK with the conservative tune as I have stock OPG for now. However I will say I do get a little timing envy looking at your post.

Welcome back btw! :cheers:

Well for starters, Whipple tune commands a richer than needed AFR.

The fuel cut logic (redline) straight up sucks. It works in sequence to first close the throttle body, then cut spark, then cut fuel. I don't know about you but having my throttle body closing 2-300rpms before my rev limit every gear at peak power is worth SOMETHING. A lot of people don't realize this unless you log the car with SCT or HP Tuners. With my rev limiter set to 7800, at 7400-7500 my throttle body would close down 15-20% by 7800. Whipple said this is just how both Ford and Whipple calibrate the car. Creates a soft rev limit.

And my cold start, cold driving experience was not great, had surging and throttle hang. Maybe they fixed it since last year, but I fixed it with about 3 minutes of tuning.

And then you have the entire race fuel / non gasoline tuning. No way is a Whipple calibration going to get you max power when you start adding octane boosters, race fuel, etc. I would guess less than half of people who actually get to the track don't actually try to induce some sort of octane boost to their vehicle. Would be nice to command some more timing and give the knock logic more room to go than allowed by Whipple (capped at 4* max advance IIRC).

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
I'm on the Whipple tune and will be going custom only to smooth out the low RPM driving experience. Every other aspect of the calibration is perfect. Idle, cold start, WOT pulls all just like stock. Car even made 681whp on 94 with 3.75 pulley. I don't need more power but the hesitation at low RPM when going heavy on the throttle is annoying so my custom tune is to just smooth that out.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I'm on the Whipple tune and will be going custom only to smooth out the low RPM driving experience. Every other aspect of the calibration is perfect. Idle, cold start, WOT pulls all just like stock. Car even made 681whp on 94 with 3.75 pulley. I don't need more power but the hesitation at low RPM when going heavy on the throttle is annoying so my custom tune is to just smooth that out.
This is exactly the main reason I am considering a custom tune. I figured while smoothing out the low RPM hesitation you described , they can help optimize the car for the headers as well.

If you get a custom tune, please report back on how you make out.

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
This is exactly the main reason I am considering a custom tune. I figured while smoothing out the low RPM hesitation you described , they can help optimize the car for the headers as well.

If you get a custom tune, please report back on how you make out.
I definitely will. I litterly want nothing changed just that hesitation down low and after talking with alot of people it seems like a very simple adjustment within the power enrichment to correct:)

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely will. I litterly want nothing changed just that hesitation down low and after talking with alot of people it seems like a very simple adjustment within the power enrichment to correct:)
They are going to start fresh with your tune.

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I do not think this question was ever answered by any one.
Whipple Stage 2 kit with whipple tune.
Whipple Stage2 kit with aftermarket tune.
Was there any advantage in going to a aftermarket tune($1000 cost plus)?

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
The whipple tune I had for gen 2 stage 2 was a good running tune that made great numbers on the dyno when guardian features were turned off and per cylinder knock control activated.

When I went with my built motor I went with larger injectors and a BAP requiring a custom tune. The PBD tune I have doesn't necessarily make any more peak hp, but the partial throttle driveability and start up is night and day difference. I've driven about 1500 miles on the new tune and have noticed my avg mpg increase by 2.5 mpg.

Yeah it sucks having to buy an nGuage and paying for another tune, but I can't say I regret it. PBD tune has exceeded my expectations so far.

Sponsored

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Congrats and happy your new tune was worth the extra funds.
Can I data log to check total timing and air fuel on my Whipple Tune using the Cantaloup Box from Whipple

ramirj2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium, 2003 350z, 1978 280z
I have an Auto and the biggest difference I noticed was on the transmission tuning and torque management.
0.4 sec improvement on the 1/4 mile on the same pulley and gas.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I have an Auto and the biggest difference I noticed was on the transmission tuning and torque management.
0.4 sec improvement on the 1/4 mile on the same pulley and gas.
Who tunes your mustang and what was your 1/4 mile times before the after market tune?

ramirj2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium, 2003 350z, 1978 280z
Who tunes your mustang and what was your 1/4 mile times before the after market tune?
Palm Beach Dyno
Whipple Tune 3.5 pulley on 104 did 11.0@129
PBD Tune 3.5 pulley on 104 did 10.6@133
and the 3.25 10.1@137

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Palm Beach Dyno
Whipple Tune 3.5 pulley on 104 did 11.0@129
PBD Tune 3.5 pulley on 104 did 10.6@133
and the 3.25 10.1@137
WOW,that 10.10 on a 3.25 pulley is really getting it done and I assume that was on race gas.Congrats
I sure wish Whipple would sale a off road race tune with ID1050X injectors.
Sponsored