Joined the broken mt82 club today! yay!

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well guys, opening day at the track didn't go as i planned lol. The car ran extremely well. My final race though i went to grab 3rd and kaboom, broke that gear. I was able to get it home (20 minutes) because that was seemingly the only broken gear. Overall the transmission wasn't horrible to me, i've put it through 2 full seasons of track time w/ more passes than i'd wanna count, but it finally gave up. Mods are paxton 3.6, gt350im, LTH and 93 octane. Exedy Hyper clutch..it's a lil hard on the mt82 i think lol. Time to start crunching the numbers on a swap!
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Well guys, opening day at the track didn't go as i planned lol. The car ran extremely well. My final race though i went to grab 3rd and kaboom, broke that gear. I was able to get it home (20 minutes) because that was seemingly the only broken gear. Overall the transmission wasn't horrible to me, i've put it through 2 full seasons of track time w/ more passes than i'd wanna count, but it finally gave up. Mods are paxton 3.6, gt350im, LTH and 93 octane. Exedy Hyper clutch..it's a lil hard on the mt82 i think lol. Time to start crunching the numbers on a swap!
Welcome to the club fellow Iowan. I went through two before doing a TR6060 swap. Love it!
What did it run?

OP
OP

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Welcome to the club fellow Iowan. I went through two before doing a TR6060 swap. Love it!
What did it run?
Lol thanks for the warm welcome. There were no times. I was at a crazy little track where its just a patch of concrete in the middle of corn. Never prepped, no times. Just grudge racing. Anyway I'm kinda tempted to piece together a 6r80 swap.. but I'm going to call Ben calimer Monday to check options.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Just curious.. I am going to be running a similar setup soon. How much are you pushing? O/R LTH?

Sponsored

OP
OP

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just curious.. I am going to be running a similar setup soon. How much are you pushing? O/R LTH?

yea, catless LTH. I made 661/530 but we let off at like 6800/6900'ish. Was gun shy after getting it all put together I guess. The wheels are in motion for a 6r80 swap for me, I'm going to take that route I think.

RB281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP
I just broke mine tonight. Merging onto the highway, I broke 4th. I’ve got the Paxton stage 2 kit from beefcake. I wish I was doing something like drag racing, but I was barely getting on it and went to shift at 6,000 RPM. A couple horrible noises later, 4th gear is nonexistent. What are my options now?

OP
OP

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What clutch are you using? Your options are doing a Ben calimer rebuild, tr6060 swap or magnum xl swap if you want to stay manual. I chose 6r80 myself, going to the auto side!

RB281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP
I’m using the Exedy Hyper Twin Disc. I personally don’t like it, but it could be that I just need more time getting used to a twin disc clutch.

OP
OP

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ah yes. I talked to Ben calimer and he wasn't too keen on me using one of his stg2 builds with thr hyper twin either. He tried to steer me straight to the magnum.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Yep...if you stay with that clutch or something similar (like the RXT which I am running) you need to get away from the MT82.
Sponsored