Sponsored

I'm about to enhance my MT82, any concerns?

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
Hi Guys,

I'm not very happy with the MT82 on my 2017 GT base model. It feels clunky and not really smooth. Also my clutch smells burnt quite often. Yes I know how to drive stick, driving stick since 1999.

So I wanna replace the Clutch, Flywheel, Throwout bearing and the hydraulic clutch line. I also would like to install the Barton Hybrid 3 shifter and replace the transmission oil with BG Synchro Shift 2.

I want to order the following parts:

McLeod Street Pro Clutch
McLeod Racing Lightened Steel Flywheel
McLeod Stock Style Hydraulic Throwout Bearing
Steeda Heavy Duty Braided Hydraulic Clutch Line
Barton Hybrid 3 Shifter - MT-82

Is anybody using such a combination? Anything else that I would need to make that work? I hope I can get a less noisy, better daily drivable with these components.
Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
I did the Barton shifter and the oil you mentioned. Solves most of the issues. Do that first and see if you like it then. I Will change out clutch when stock goes out. 62k miles so far and still good. Pedal only feels spongy after 4 back to back wot runs.

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mentioned I replaced the clutch pedal spring with one from Steeda. Best $15 spent! Try that too!

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
MGW, Steeda spring, braided clutch line, and Amsoil fluid in my MT82. Love it!

OP
OP

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
Forgot to mentioned I replaced the clutch pedal spring with one from Steeda. Best $15 spent! Try that too!
I already replaced the clutch spring. Actually feels worse. Pedal feels pretty spongy. Is it normal to have some play in the clutch pedal?

My Mustang makes all sorts of noises which I can track back to the transmission, if I disengange the clutch quickly I get a weird noise, sounds like fluid being pumped quickly into the throwout bearing.

I love the Mustang GT, but the transmission felt weird from the first day on. Dealer says that everything is OK. Clutch started to smell burned very quickly and some gears sound grindy, like there is a noise coming from behind the dashboard in 3rd gear for example, other gears don't have it.

Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at doing a similar upgrade. That looks like a winning combination!

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Do these too....

Steeda shifter base bushing bracket and transmission mount bushing insert.

I would expect from all your mods.. There will be an increase in NVH.
A Roush or Corsa extreme Cat back and H Pipe will fix those issues..!!

OP
OP

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
I'm looking at doing a similar upgrade. That looks like a winning combination!
Posted the same in allfordmustangs.com and somebody said that the McLoed products are not very good in quality? Is that true? Any alternatives for a Street car?

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
If that is the case then it might be your trans having issues. I Pedal should not feel spongy with the steed spring. Play? Maybe a little, I have about 1/2" of play but pedal is firm all the way down. Have you done a fluid flush? Maybe you have some air in the line.

I already replaced the clutch spring. Actually feels worse. Pedal feels pretty spongy. Is it normal to have some play in the clutch pedal?

My Mustang makes all sorts of noises which I can track back to the transmission, if I disengange the clutch quickly I get a weird noise, sounds like fluid being pumped quickly into the throwout bearing.

I love the Mustang GT, but the transmission felt weird from the first day on. Dealer says that everything is OK. Clutch started to smell burned very quickly and some gears sound grindy, like there is a noise coming from behind the dashboard in 3rd gear for example, other gears don't have it.

Sponsored

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

MGW shifter and removing the drastically improved everything for me. I didn't get the steeda spring. Try removing it and going without for awhile. Makes the pedal heavier but I don't have any issues, although extended stop and go traffic can get tiring. It makes the clutch significantly more predictable.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I also have the burnt clutch smell quite often and I swear once in a while it slips for a second even on normal shifts. I made sure to follow the break in procedure and it seemed to make no difference.

I've only ever had manual sports cars, over a dozen of them now some making nearly 3x the HP this mustang is and never had a clutch that feels like this. Even my manual 2006 dodge ram lasted 290k miles with at least half of that towing a 5500lb trailer with Harleys in it (and I sold it still in good working order).

This clutch just makes me feel like it will go at any time, mainly because of how it engages differently on each and every shift. I wonder if the 18+ clutches can be retrofitted.

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
im sure the 18 clutch is same shitty material...

JETZGT

JETZ GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 GT PP SC
Following as my car has 4100 miles on it. 2016 GT supercharged. I also have some slipping and that wonderful clutch smell occasionally.
Looking at the Exedy Stage 3 w/ lightweight flywheel. Seems equivalant to the one your looking at.
Whos doing your install Jeff?
Sponsored