2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Uhm.. yeah, but the original plans for the CD6 were a SMALLER Mustang so they decided to keep the proportions.

That was the plan so far, but something changed. Can’t say more about it.

Everything about the new S650 mustang is a mess and difficult to get enough information especially when we are still a couple of years away. I’m going to say something though, the original plans of the S650 were for a 2021MY car... don’t you think that something *significant* changed so they had to move it one year as a 2022MY? Just think about it, it’s not written in stone yet.

Time will tell.
I'am just going to lay this on here because at the end of the day I'am going by what people within the company have posted or said in regards to the CD6 mustang.

This was posted two months ago at the blue oval forum from someone within the company: "This has been out there for a while. Yes. Next gen Mustang will be on mod CD6... with a host of other products."

And this from an employee that worked at Ford:

Financial Analyst - Product Development
Ford Motor Company
March 2016 – Present (2 years 2 months)Greater Detroit Area

•Perform cost analyses and consolidate financials on electrical parts for CD6 platform vehicles, specifically the 2021 model year global Mustang
•Interface cross-functionally with engineers, program planners, price estimators, and purchasers to set cost targets and identify measures to achieve them
•Analyze investment opportunities in design innovation and product improvement for recommendation to senior management
Sponsored

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
I'am just going to lay this on here because at the end of the day I'am going by what people within the company have posted or said in regards to the CD6 mustang.

This was posted two months ago at the blue oval forum from someone within the company: "This has been out there for a while. Yes. Next gen Mustang will be on mod CD6... with a host of other products."

And this from an employee that worked at Ford:

Financial Analyst - Product Development
Ford Motor Company
March 2016 – Present (2 years 2 months)Greater Detroit Area

•Perform cost analyses and consolidate financials on electrical parts for CD6 platform vehicles, specifically the 2021 model year global Mustang
•Interface cross-functionally with engineers, program planners, price estimators, and purchasers to set cost targets and identify measures to achieve them
•Analyze investment opportunities in design innovation and product improvement for recommendation to senior management
Well, it says “2021 model year global mustang” so, that’s certainly not updated.

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Well, it says “2021 model year global mustang” so, that’s certainly not updated.
What do you mean by "not updated"? The current mustang is a global vehicle and the next gen model will be no different. Also thus far Ford themselves have said that they want to sell a hybrid mustang by CY 2020 which would make it MY '21....

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Everything about the new S650 mustang is a mess and difficult to get enough information especially when we are still a couple of years away. I’m going to say something though, the original plans of the S650 were for a 2021MY car... don’t you think that something *significant* changed so they had to move it one year as a 2022MY? Just think about it, it’s not written in stone yet.

Time will tell.

Absolutely. My assumption was that pushing it back to the '22MY was to ensure it utilised CD6 (with Aviator and Explorer development taking the initial lead on the platform). Who knows, may that was the plan?

I never expected CD6 to give us a smaller Mustang, so that's interesting news. Personally, whilst S550 isn't exactly small (and the reference (not yours) to preferring it to be M4 sized......well, there can't be much difference in overall size, although back seat space is much better in the M4)....packaging improvements would have been welcomed, but NOT at the expense of the great proportions S550 already has. That long nose/short trunk is a Mustang signature that needs to remain.

So, S650 will be an improved S550? I'm more than happy with that :)

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
That long nose/short trunk is a Mustang signature that needs to remain.
Agreed, but I wouldn't mind maybe seeing like 3 inches of overhang taken off the front and pushing the engine further back into the firewall (a la M4)... If they could keep the wheelbase and track similar while reducing overhangs (maybe sacrifice a bit of the INSANE amount of trunk space for a bit more back seat space as to not make the back seats unusable), then it would do a good job of keeping the perceived proportions similar (maybe more similar to Camaro proportions) while making the car smaller, more balanced, and more agile

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Caution: what you're about to see is the result of a bored office worker

So, I drew up the kind of proportions I'm picturing. the top car is the template I used and is a real picture of a 2018 Mustang. The bottom is a sketch with revised dimensions that I would like to see on the S650, but using the 2018 design, making it easier to compare. Vertical lines are drawn at the center of each wheelwell and at the frontmost and most rearward points of the car

If my measurements and calculations are correct, these revisions would increase the wheelbase by about 3.6 inches (moving the rear wheelwell more rearward in an attempt to balance out the nose-heavy car), decrease the front overhang by 2.7 inches, and decrease rear overhang by 9.1 inches (sounds extreme, but it can partially be contributed to the extended wheelbase). I feel like this would retain the great, signature Mustang look while helping the car perform better
draw2.PNG

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
From CD6 we know there are the following;
Ford sedan,
Plus the same from Lincoln (not confirmed),
Maybe Mach1 is on this platform,
Maybe Lincoln version of Mach1,
Explorer,
Aviator,
And, if Mustang was ever going to stand a fighting chance to remain profitable, and to make CD6 even more profitable, one would expect it to borrow from this platform. Like Alpha Camaro does.

Logic says its CD6. I'm trying to think of reasons why they'd keep it on the same platform besides what Twin Turbo mentioned re proportions and there simply aren't any. I don't believe CD6 is an evolution of S550's platform otherwise Farruko's brother wouldn't be so upset.

That's potentially 7 or 8 vehicles from the one platform, or, split those vehicles into 2 groups where the sedans and SUVs are on CD6 and anything coupe-like goes on the Mustang platform.

Platform-sharing is important, with much more emphasis being placed on it from Ford, so if it stays on the existing platform I would expect the followiing:
Mustang,
Ford 4-door coupe,
Lincoln coupe,
And Lincoln 4-door coupe,
Mach1

Problem with that is they never mentioned any 4-door coupe in the recent press release. Perhaps they didn't need to.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I personally have high hopes but low expectations for a Lincoln Coupe to sell alongside the Mustang

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
Whatever Ford does, I hope they made careful note of the Camaro window opening height and square inches of glass. People care about seeing out of the car and being able to rest their arm on an open sill.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I personally have high hopes but low expectations for a Lincoln Coupe to sell alongside the Mustang
I miss my Mark VIII, it would be awesome if they came out with a new one. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
I think you guys didn’t get what I meant by “smaller Mustang”. I didn’t mean “M4-like”, The plan was to have a “Toyota Supra Fighter” (yes, that small).

What do you mean by "not updated"? The current mustang is a global vehicle and the next gen model will be no different. Also thus far Ford themselves have said that they want to sell a hybrid mustang by CY 2020 which would make it MY '21....
Yes, that was the original plan (that’s why I said that the information is not up to date); it won’t be by CY 2020, it will be a 22MY by CY 2021.

Whatever Ford does, I hope they made careful note of the Camaro window opening height and square inches of glass. People care about seeing out of the car and being able to rest their arm on an open sill.
LoL

Don’t worry about that. They had the plan to decrease the car’s greenhouse but not anymore.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think you guys didn’t get what I meant by “smaller Mustang”. I didn’t mean “M4-like”, The plan was to have a “Toyota Supra Fighter” (yes, that small).
The supra isn't necessarily that small... it's also a grand tourer style car like the Mustang is. Even the upcoming one, being based on a Z4 platform, isn't really significantly smaller than an M4. Being that American cars are always bigger (as it's sort of the appeal of american cars), I'd guess that their target of a "Supra Fighter" means advanced weight balancing and suspension geometry, but more M4-esque size.

You know a lot more than I do, though. Don't mean to try and discredit you at all, just sharing my interpretation :cheers:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The yet to be launched, Supra? Based off a 2 seat BMW roadster? :tsk:

One of the key requirements for me is the Mustang is a genuine, usable 2+2 with a decent trunk.

14 years ago, I was the driver of a 300zx (hence my Twin Turbo name).....and I was very tempted with the (then) new 350z.....however, the birth of my daughter meant I needed back seats. I nearly went for a Monaro (your Pontiac GTO) but I saw the light and bought an S197.

Now, with a my daughter 13 years old and my son 9 years old, I can still look forward to weekend trips away with the family in the Mustang.

So, in my opinion, if they're sticking with a modified S550, we've just averted a (small) disaster :thumbsup:

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Agreed, but I wouldn't mind maybe seeing like 3 inches of overhang taken off the front and pushing the engine further back into the firewall (a la M4)... If they could keep the wheelbase and track similar while reducing overhangs (maybe sacrifice a bit of the INSANE amount of trunk space for a bit more back seat space as to not make the back seats unusable), then it would do a good job of keeping the perceived proportions similar (maybe more similar to Camaro proportions) while making the car smaller, more balanced, and more agile
That's exactly what i was thinking. 3 inches of overhang shaved off the length and perhaps tone down on the wheel wells a bit (i feel they are a bit too damn large) for a tighter body, and basically keep everything else the same. Honestly the current mustang has a lot of wasted space in both the front and rear for the namesake of form over function, something that hopefully will be eliminated in the next stang!

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
From CD6 we know there are the following;
Ford sedan,
Plus the same from Lincoln (not confirmed),
Maybe Mach1 is on this platform,
Maybe Lincoln version of Mach1,
Explorer,
Aviator,
And, if Mustang was ever going to stand a fighting chance to remain profitable, and to make CD6 even more profitable, one would expect it to borrow from this platform. Like Alpha Camaro does.

Logic says its CD6. I'm trying to think of reasons why they'd keep it on the same platform besides what Twin Turbo mentioned re proportions and there simply aren't any. I don't believe CD6 is an evolution of S550's platform otherwise Farruko's brother wouldn't be so upset.

That's potentially 7 or 8 vehicles from the one platform, or, split those vehicles into 2 groups where the sedans and SUVs are on CD6 and anything coupe-like goes on the Mustang platform.

Platform-sharing is important, with much more emphasis being placed on it from Ford, so if it stays on the existing platform I would expect the followiing:
Mustang,
Ford 4-door coupe,
Lincoln coupe,
And Lincoln 4-door coupe,
Mach1

Problem with that is they never mentioned any 4-door coupe in the recent press release. Perhaps they didn't need to.
Yes common sense does exist--thank you Falc'man lol!! Like i said earlier Ford wants to consolidate platforms to reduce cost, complexity, and increase quality of their vehicle line up. Imagine mustang still being built on its sole S550 platform at Flat Rock while the other vehicles being built off the new CD6 architecture along side it....exactly doesn't make sense whatsoever. Everything and everyone within Ford is simply pointing towards the mustang being CD6.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.