2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Arguing as to whether the platform has completely changed or if it’s simply “heavily modified” is semantics. Just say “new generation” and stop arguing minute things. :p
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not really... a new platform would allow for things like wheelbase/overhang changes, double-wishbone suspension, repositioned engine, etc. A clean slate redesign could make for a HUGE improvement (I.E. alpha platform)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Uhhh. Nothing is a clean slate design.
Good point. The engineers always start from current knowledge and try to make improvements. Every single dimension might be changed, but it's still based on previous designs.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Every wheel is based off the first stone that was carved into a circle by the 1st caveman. :D

aclosedmind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
That completely depends on the project and how much of it is under his control vs from suppliers.

Energy storage, SpaceX and other non-Tesla related projects are typically on time or early. Most Tesla delays end up being supplier related.
*checks on Powerwall Gen 2 pre order placed 18 months ago after it was announced*

Sponsored

OCDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150, 2013 Fiat 500T
So with the Bullitt Mustang arriving soon and the GT500 due in 2020, can we still expect an updated, heavily revised or all new Mustang for 2021? Noticed this thread hasn’t been active for a while with new info. Eagerly waiting to purchase the next version as it will be my first Mustang.

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
So with the Bullitt Mustang arriving soon and the GT500 due in 2020, can we still expect an updated, heavily revised or all new Mustang for 2021? Noticed this thread hasn’t been active for a while with new info. Eagerly waiting to purchase the next version as it will be my first Mustang.

“All new” Mustang by 2022MY. Same platform but different TopHat (since the “Completely New/New CD6 Platform Mustang” was cancelled). It will be a S550 based S650 under the D5 platform.

My brother is super disappointed because of this but I don’t know why, since the new plans of a heavily revised Mustang (instead of a clean sheet) are much better in my opinion.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Why do you think it's better?

A new platform would allow for heavy improvement. The current platform we're riding on will be 17 years old by the time S650 comes.

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
“All new” Mustang by 2022MY. Same platform but different TopHat (since the “Completely New/New CD6 Platform Mustang” was cancelled). It will be a S550 based S650 under the D5 platform.

My brother is super disappointed because of this but I don’t know why, since the new plans of a heavily revised Mustang (instead of a clean sheet) are much better in my opinion.
I don't if you've been keeping up but almost everything and everyone close to or within the company are all saying that the Mustang will in fact be CD6 based. Heck even the woman's linkedin profile confirmed as much. The days of vehicles having their unique platforms are almost at an end and any rwd based car will utilize the CD6 architecture.

Curious who are the sources that keep claiming that a CD6 based mustang cancellation been confirmed?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

I know you're reliable source, so I read everything you type with great interest :)

I will say though.....CD6 is the basis of the new Lincoln Aviator and next-gen Explorer. Whilst I appreciate it's a concept (albeit very close to production) it was mentioned that the rear suspension of the Aviator is pretty much the same as the current S550.

So, could CD6 simply be an update of the S550 chassis?

Lets face it, even if you start with a clean sheet, surely you'd use utilise stuff that's worked well before?

Good sources on Blue Oval Forums are still saying the next Mustang will be seen for the '22MY, and it'll be CD6.

Time will tell for sure, I guess :)

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I am still hearing S550 based.

But the program is moving along. By fall they should be marching forward on what S650 is aesthetically.

I would say the Aviator is more than just a concept, it is very indicative.

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
Why do you think it's better?

A new platform would allow for heavy improvement. The current platform we're riding on will be 17 years old by the time S650 comes.
Uhm.. yeah, but the original plans for the CD6 were a SMALLER Mustang so they decided to keep the proportions.

I don't if you've been keeping up but almost everything and everyone close to or within the company are all saying that the Mustang will in fact be CD6 based. Heck even the woman's linkedin profile confirmed as much. The days of vehicles having their unique platforms are almost at an end and any rwd based car will utilize the CD6 architecture.

Curious who are the sources that keep claiming that a CD6 based mustang cancellation been confirmed?
That was the plan so far, but something changed. Can’t say more about it.

I know you're reliable source, so I read everything you type with great interest :)

I will say though.....CD6 is the basis of the new Lincoln Aviator and next-gen Explorer. Whilst I appreciate it's a concept (albeit very close to production) it was mentioned that the rear suspension of the Aviator is pretty much the same as the current S550.

So, could CD6 simply be an update of the S550 chassis?

Lets face it, even if you start with a clean sheet, surely you'd use utilise stuff that's worked well before?

Good sources on Blue Oval Forums are still saying the next Mustang will be seen for the '22MY, and it'll be CD6.

Time will tell for sure, I guess :)
Everything about the new S650 mustang is a mess and difficult to get enough information especially when we are still a couple of years away. I’m going to say something though, the original plans of the S650 were for a 2021MY car... don’t you think that something *significant* changed so they had to move it one year as a 2022MY? Just think about it, it’s not written in stone yet.

Time will tell.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
IMHO, a smaller and lighter Mustang would have been a move in the right direction.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Uhm.. yeah, but the original plans for the CD6 were a SMALLER Mustang so they decided to keep the proportions..
IMHO, a smaller and lighter Mustang would have been a move in the right direction.
A smaller mustang would have been a great direction. M4-like size and proportions would be perfect for the car, especially if we could cut the overhangs and center the weight more
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.