Sponsored

Sell a GT350R for an air-cooled 911??

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
How about a project 911 (or 912) that you can "outlaw" into something fun?

That'd give you a great chance to tinker, while keeping both your DD Audi and the GT350.

Just comes down to space, time, and cash - three things that sometimes seem to be mutually exclusive.:shrug:
Sponsored

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
How about a project 911 (or 912) that you can "outlaw" into something fun?

That'd give you a great chance to tinker, while keeping both your DD Audi and the GT350.

Just comes down to space, time, and cash - three things that sometimes seem to be mutually exclusive.:shrug:
Lol - the 911 that I would buy WOULD be a project, haha. Air cooled is no joke right now. $40k will get you a car that needs a lot of work.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Thanks for the interesting post - looking forward to reading the responses.

If I may make a suggestion: read the comment section at bringatrailer.com on the model you like - there is some great information there from time to time, which could prove useful.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I love the looks of the later 964’s and 993’s. I wouldn’t make the swap from an R to a garden variety Carrera 2. It would have to be something special, like the RS America you posted a pic of or a 964 Turbo 3.6. I realize prices on nice examples that I mentioned are high, but I wouldn’t make the jump to a plebian version 911.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I love the looks of the later 964’s and 993’s. I wouldn’t make the swap from an R to a garden variety Carrera 2. It would have to be something special, like the RS America you posted a pic of or a 964 Turbo 3.6. I realize prices on nice examples that I mentioned are high, but I wouldn’t make the jump to a plebian version 911.

I hear ya. Even the C2 is pretty out of control, price-wise. An RS America or Turbo...negative. However, strangely - it seems that the modification of these cars is pretty well accepted...outlaw, I guess?

This is to the extreme but check out this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/836908-964-rsr-inspired-replica-10.html

This car pretty much got me going on these
amazing964.jpg

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Lol - the 911 that I would buy WOULD be a project, haha. Air cooled is no joke right now. $40k will get you a car that needs a lot of work.
True especially if a 993.... and for a 964 at that pricepoint, sometimes you can get lucky and find a good one sorted out for the most part but they'll all need TLC and moolah, etc. I have been thinking of a 964 C2 manual coupe and restomod it a bit for street & track use (love the look- classic 911 front fenders) maybe next year but my issue is also garage space. That's good... it keeps me out of more trouble. :D

The R is special and would be hard to part away from but then again almost any aircooled that will be personally restored/individualized by you would also be special. GL!

I love Porsche talk on the GT350 forum... here's one I'd love to have. Dreaming away...
RS America-964.jpg
RS America-964-2.jpg
RS America-964-3.jpg
RS America-964-4.jpg
RS America-964-5.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
F that! Don't do it Jeff! :D

TheDonEffect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tbd
It's really a rich man hobby. The cars are great, but the mystique is from enthusiastic knowledgeable but well heeled enthusiasts who sing its praises. The cars are great, but honestly a car like an s2000 is superior in every way (not comparing turbo) except it doesn't have a Crest. Don't get me wrong, a 993 turbo is one of my bucket list cars, but it's really a rich mans game. Just like those who autocross e46 or newer bombers, there's objectively better choices.
But as a conversation/achievement/show/investment piece, they're hard to beat.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd love to have a Porsche and at the moment they certainly aren't depreciating like the GT350s and Rs will for the next 10-20 years. Too much money for me, though. While a 911 could be thought of as an investment, I will stick with my traditional investments that won't get eaten by mice, etc.

Momentum cars are very different from GT350s. Still fun, but IMO too hooked up. I prefer a car where you have to be careful with the loud pedal. Could be enjoyable to run at an autocross or very small track though.

Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I had a white with white Fuchs ‘1987 Carrera with the whale tail back in the day. Glad I was able to experience that era, but the 911 was slow and the noise was not particularly pleasant to my ear. I tried to improve the exhaust, but could never find the right sound. What I did like was the cabin. I’m 6’-3” and there is good head and leg room in these. I have no desire to deal with owning another vintage Porsche.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Killing me. I just need to get a ride in one. I hate that everyone says hey are slow lol.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Killing me. I just need to get a ride in one. I hate that everyone says hey are slow lol.
The half-life of automotive technology is short. Cars that are 10 years old or more are very different than those built today.

The new 911s aren't slow, especially the higher models.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Slow by contemporary standards sure but when new were as fast as anything in their class and can still easily go 160 mph. Time moves on and modern electronics allow engines to produce more power smoothly and in many cases even return better efficiency. I really appreciate both the old and new. I do very much love and enjoy the power and modern refinement of my Shelby but do sometimes miss the more raw mechanical nature of an air cooled 911 especially the 964.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
The only one I drive from time to time is my friend's 2000 996 Carrera (non S, the 3.4 l motor) and it isn't slow by any standards. Handling is crazy sharp, sticks to the road like glue. Exhaust is nothing to write home about, but when you approach 8000 rpms, it howls in a way only a porsche does. I love it. ... but then again it's a beetle.

And they are like rich man toys around my area, everybody has one next to a Q5 for winter; I wouldn't be caught dead in one.
Sponsored