Sell a GT350R for an air-cooled 911??

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The 350, for sure - so very capable and probably the best drivers car I've ever owned....still, I'm itching to tinker with something and there's really only room for 1 mistress.

I haven't driven one (I know that will be the first suggestion, I'm working on it) but I understand the 964s and 993s are fantastic drivers cars. I'm wondering if I'll miss the extra HP on the 350 vs the less-than 300HP on an old air cooled. Damn sexy looking, these old Porsches... This is an RS America - but I'd be looking at a C2.
rsa911.jpg
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
The 350, for sure - so very capable and probably the best drivers car I've ever owned....still, I'm itching to tinker with something and there's really only room for 1 mistress.

I haven't driven one (I know that will be the first suggestion, I'm working on it) but I understand the 964s and 993s are fantastic drivers cars. I'm wondering if I'll miss the extra HP on the 350 vs the less-than 300HP on an old air cooled. Damn sexy looking, these old Porsches... This is an RS America - but I'd be looking at a C2.
Dan that's pretty! I want one!!!!

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Love all 911's (except for 996) and for a street car I definitely understand the swap. 993 and earlier have a beautifully simple and purposeful interior, excellent visibility and the unique handling characteristics of having the lump in the back. The only thing that takes away from the driving enjoyment with air cooled 911's is the rear tail bob on rough/bumpy pavement (experience with a 993 C4S). A 911 should hold value better than an R.

If you're going to the track then I wouldn't swap as the 350 is more capable yet still has a raw edge to it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I almost bought an old 911. I test drove it and really didn't like it. It was an 80's era car, IMHO it was nothing like what I (we) have now. Jeff, if you want some advice about anything Porsche, I can put you in contact with a friend who can give you some sound advice.

picture.jpg

^^^^^ This guy, you probably remember the photo. He will tell you the pros/cons and give you all the scoop on whatever you are thinking (only relating to the Porsche).

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'd love to pick his brain, Tom.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you ever trade a GT350 for a beetle, I don't really understand.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Because I want to work on something again and not feel guilty about it. Also, the market for these things is just crazy lately. I'd feel like I could mod away (tastefully) and still not take a beating on price. I can't really (and don't want/need to) touch the R...

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Because I want to work on something again and not feel guilty about it. Also, the market for these things is just crazy lately. I'd feel like I could mod away (tastefully) and still not take a beating on price. I can't really (and don't want/need to) touch the R...
I wouldn't work on a air cooled Porsche is barely drive it. That's not A car you tinker with

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Claims to not understand the concept and fires off a derogatory fixation. Situation normal... :tsk:

Why would anyone in their right mind be a CAR guy because he loves CARS? How dare they bat an eye from their heavenly father and the holy spirit Mustang?!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I wouldn't work on a air cooled Porsche is barely drive it. That's not A car you tinker with
I've heard kinda the same thing. Apparently there are shops around the country that pull silly good dollars working on just air cooled Porsches. I mean laughing straight to bank type of good money because they're just that...temperamental?

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
They sure would be complimentary to each other - any way to have your cake and eat it, too?

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I had both a 964 C2 and a 993 which I sold to get a Shelby. Have not looked back. To be fair I did get the air cooled bug out of my system but the Shelby is a superior car in every respect. That said the air cooled cars are truly special and are part of automotive history that will never come along again. They are fantastic drivers cars and are fairly receptive to tinkering and have a great aftermarket and tons of knowledgeable people out there. They are very old now and keeping an old car going can be expensive especially when a Porsche crest is attached to it. It's entirely up to you of course but The Shelby is all those things in its own way and a crap ton faster and more refined and capable.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I've heard kinda the same thing. Apparently there are shops around the country that pull silly good dollars working on just air cooled Porsches. I mean laughing straight to bank type of good money because they're just that...temperamental?
Here's the crazy thing....It's BS. ;) Of course, I don't have anything to base that on other than my experience with other shops and cars. Example - I was told (by a couple shops who wanted me to pay them to build the engines) that I shouldn't build my own mod-motor years ago..that they would blow up...that there were some tricks to it. Built a few of them, no problems. I wanted to be the first to Coyote swap a foxbody (I wasn't but I think I was second)...not many had been delivered at the time, so they weren't easy to come by and very expensive. I decided I wanted the Boss version for my car - so I bought the block and every single nut and bolt/part to build it from scratch...was told it would never run...still running - 425rwhp.

Point is, I'm not too worried about it. Those shops deal with people who have a ton of money, it's a great business model...to only deal in a product that only people with a lot of expendable cash like to buy. They are accustomed to making a ton of money on everything and they are certainly not going to suggest it can be done cheaper or in a home garage. I'm sure there are some tricks of the trade but I suspect I can pick most of that up on the internets from the community. I'm highly doubtful that there's any real "voodoo" (ha) that makes an air-cooled engine impossible for enthusiasts to work on.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
They sure would be complimentary to each other - any way to have your cake and eat it, too?
Maybe - but here's the catch. I DD an 08 Audi RS4 right now...it's an amazing DD - comfortable, sounds good, 4-doors...I'd have to sell that and DD the 911 for a while...and eat PB&J for a year or two.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No.

If you were talking trading a last gen GT500, sure. The R is special in many of the same ways the Porsche is, and is much faster and IMO, better looking.
Sponsored

Last edited: