Sponsored

Why did you buy (or why do you want) a base R?

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
6.5 inch speakers weigh about 2lbs each. How many speakers does the package have 7 or 9? Is there a sub? That's at least 20 lbs if not more not to include the wiring.
7 speakers, no sub. Funny how it has the shaker badge on the radio but no shaker sub :shrug:
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
7 speakers, no sub. Funny how it has the shaker badge on the radio but no shaker sub :shrug:
That's weird! Guess the pro adds the subwoofer? I read somewhere that the 16's had 7 and the 17's had 9 speakers. Obviously not true since you have 2017.

Edit: found it over on the shordshelbygt350 forum. Maybe yours was an early build 2017? "two rear deck speakers, 2 front tweeters, two front mids, and two front woofers.", "3 1/2 inch center channel in dash above the oil gauges, for surround sound. Different amp than the seven speaker system, too. 8+1"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/f...ang-shelby-gt350s-standard-optional-equipment

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Ah that might actually make more sense since I was looking at the specs in the supplemental and it was probably for the 2016. I’m not by the car now to check, but definitely no shaker sub in the trunk. My mistake.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Ah that might actually make more sense since I was looking at the specs in the supplemental and it was probably for the 2016. I’m not by the car now to check, but definitely no shaker sub in the trunk. My mistake.
Here's the guide posted on 6g, 9 speaker.

I'll make a guess as to 3670-3675 for the base and 3710-3715 w/electronics.

It's pretty easy to yank out the trunk crap as well, that brings the margin down again.
2017 GT350_GT350R-3.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I weight 157 so it's like a driverless non R ;)
when I get on it, it feels like the car has boost. hits that torque spot and she scoots
I emptied my windshield fluid too. 5 lbs
I considered that. A Lithium ion battery saves a huge amount of weight as well. I was looking at stuff like that to offset the 60# roll cage.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Here's the guide posted on 6g, 9 speaker.

I'll make a guess as to 3670-3675 for the base and 3710-3715 w/electronics.

It's pretty easy to yank out the trunk crap as well, that brings the margin down again.
Just because some of us just don't want various creature comforts in our R's does that make it wrong as it is not all about just a ~50 pound weight savings as you seem to indicate?

Most of my buddies that have R's have the Electronics Package cars and I am quite happy for them and they respect my decision for purchasing a base R.

Not sure what your point is here?

:cheers:

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Just because some of us just don't want various creature comforts in our R's does that make it wrong as it is not all about just a ~50 pound weight savings as you seem to indicate?

Most of my buddies that have R's have the Electronics Package cars and I am quite happy for them and they respect my decision for purchasing a base R.

When I got my allocation a base R was no longer an option. I wouldn’t have ordered one anyway so not an issue. I like my A/C and Tunes, although rarely turned either on in my current 350. That being said, there is something awesome about a stripper car. I actually agree that they should be even further stripped.

Definitely nothing wrong with wanting a bare bones car or just liking the thought of a car like that!

Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
When I got my allocation a base R was no longer an option. I wouldn’t have ordered one anyway so not an issue. I like my A/C and Tunes, although rarely turned either on in my current 350. That being said, there is something awesome about a stripper car. I actually agree that they should be even further stripped.

Definitely nothing wrong with wanting a bare bones car or just liking the thought of a car like that!
As we know the bulk of enthusiasts nowadays want AC and radios in their cars and certainly respect that and would suggest that us guys that want a base R are a little different breed of cat for sure.

I remember sitting down with the Chief Design Engineer for Chevrolet who was responsible for the 2014/2015 Z28 program and this would have been in ~January 2014 and right about the time that the first Z28's were just starting to come out.

This individual was a great guy who also happened to carrier a competition drivers license and was also a driver instructor for General Motors so a full gear head. He certainly knew that I was a Ford guy as I was wearing a 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca t-shirt but he was very cordial and respectful just the same knowing that I was a Blue Oval guy.

During our conversation I asked him how many 2014 Z28's would be built and he confirmed they would build about the same number of cars as in 1967 when they first came out so that would be ~602 cars.

Asked him how production was coming along and he explained to me that production was way behind based on the fact that him and his team did not expect many people to order these new Z28's with AC when in fact that was quite the opposite with most ordering with the AC option after which time they were caught off guard and ran out of AC units for their new track superstar car. His response really confirms and mirrors what has happened with the new GT350R models whereby most individuals want AC and a radio in their new HP cars thus most order with the Electronics Package.

I explained to him that I thought that the MSRP of $76,100 was quite steep for the new Z28 and he totally understood and went onto say that even at that price Chevrolet had so much R&D into the wheels, tires, suspension, brakes etc. that they would still lose at least $10,000 on each car sold. Sure makes me feel good even with a reasonable ADM how much car we certainly get with our R models!

I also asked him how many cars for the 2015MY and he suggested ~2600 cars and that the Z28 was only a two year run.

The other question that I asked him was why Chevrolet did not assign a chassis plate/number to these limited edition cars as such was the case with the 2 year run of the Boss 302 program after which time he replied that him and his team got so caught up with all of the development of the car that they should have come up with a chassis plate for each car and missed that issue completely.

Of course history has shown how successful or lack thereof the 2 year run of the Chevrolet Z28 Camaro program was and also confirms just how successful the GT350/GT350R program has been for the Ford Motor Company since 2015.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
If I wanted a stripped down track car I would have just bought my buddy's Ariel Atom a few months ago. :)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If I wanted a stripped down track car I would have just bought my buddy's Ariel Atom a few months ago. :)
And If I lived up north, I would have a base. Rarity, purist, etc. You cant do it down here in FL, Eric, and I totally agree with your sentiment.

This is the part of the day I hate worst. Time to step away from the computer and get back to painting the house. Oh the fun.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
And If I lived up north, I would have a base. Rarity, purist, etc. You cant do it down here in FL, Eric, and I totally agree with your sentiment.

This is the part of the day I hate worst. Time to step away from the computer and get back to painting the house. Oh the fun.
Agreed and lots of yard work for me.

:headbonk::headbonk:

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

I don't recall stating anywhere that it was wrong, Harry.

Weight was being discussed in pretty much the entire post and I added my .02. I would guess I'm pretty accurate on those weights.. as I've seen pictures of a scaled base package already. :)

My point and the issue I have with the base (car, not those who choose to buy one), is it does not offer a significant advantage to be without the air and radio. If it puts someone in touch with their youth that's great, it just doesn't make the juice (sweat) worth the squeeze for me. I view having options like air and radio a lot like having a firearm, it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. If it's a typical summer day here with high humidity and temps in the 90-100 range, driving around sweating my ass off doesn't sound very enjoyable and more like what I do at work.

As someone stated in the other post that got this post started, if Ford would have made the base more like a club sport GT3RS with more track oriented seat, fire extinguisher and harness/roll bar I suppose I could see the desire, the desire to those who actually intend to purchase the base model for a track vehicle. Perhaps offering a combined option to have it with a more sleek forged caliper and 18" wheel which opens up more affordable track tire options and maybe include an R compound tire. Obviously I don't follow every R owners day to day life, but from what I can see there are very few (I can think of 1 possibly 2) base models that are tracked exclusively. Which for all intensive purposes was what the base model would have been geared toward. In reality, owning a base may not be for car show bragging rights but it's tending to be more for exclusivity or rarity than for having the advantage of fewer items in the car. I would suggest that's why you desire to have the base 920a.

For myself and the majority of R owners, it's nice to be able to crank up a favorite tune while cruising on the highway when you can't hear the exhaust anyway and cool the cabin on a hot day (provided the a/c system actually works), it's also nice to afford comfort for your significant other while going out for a nice dinner etc. If I had an array of performance vehicles at my disposal, then perhaps things would be different. While I'm sure many thing's in the 60's were better than they are today, having a few amenities is quite nice in a performance car. If I don't want a/c I turn it off, if I don't want the radio on, I turn it off. To each his/her own.

Last edited:

N9TMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550, e36 m3 , s2000
Gt350 prices going down crazy

Do not pay more than 40k for used gt350 or 45k for gt350r

Shelby gt350 is not a special car. It’s just a ford.

It’s gonna go down even more when gt500s come out.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
No way I'd want to drive up to 3 hours to a track in 100 degree heat in the middle of summer without A/C. I want to be as well-rested as I can be. Life is too short to skimp on the luxuries. If turning the car into a dedicated track monster that is trailered, would be different story.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Gt350 prices going down crazy

Do not pay more than 40k for used gt350 or 45k for gt350r

Shelby gt350 is not a special car. It’s just a ford.

It’s gonna go down even more when gt500s come out.
Thank you for your unrelated contribution of the same thing we’ve heard every week for the past two years from the rando non-GT350 owner.

Is there not some way to put a fence up around the rest of the Mustang forum so these people don’t wander off from their pasture?
Sponsored