Sponsored

Worth installing long tubes without an aftermarket CAI?

AznInvazn57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Mustang GT
Hey guys, I currently have the borla atak catback. I was wondering if its worth getting catted long tubes (thinking texas speed) without upgrading the intake? I'm not really hunting for the biggest numbers or anything, but an increase in power along with the sound "upgrade" would be awesome.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Worth is a matter of prospective. You will gain more sound & power. But to me they wore worth it.

OP
OP

AznInvazn57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha. Well as long as not getting a CAI is detrimental or anything. I think I may just hold off on it for a while. Just stick with a full exhaust system for the time being

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Horsepower gain vs cost, catted LT's def not worth it. Then some will say go catless. Still not worth it. Do the same with factory headers. Never seen more then a 8-10hp gain vs $1000+ for LT's + install.

OP
OP

AznInvazn57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horsepower gain vs cost, catted LT's def not worth it. Then some will say go catless. Still not worth it. Do the same with factory headers. Never seen more then a 8-10hp gain vs $1000+ for LT's + install.

I also plan on getting a tune with the longtube install. I thought that with the tune as well its decent power vs "8-10hp"

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What's a tune gonna do for LT's? Other then turn off the rear O2's if you go that route.

OP
OP

AznInvazn57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's a tune gonna do for LT's? Other then turn off the rear O2's if you go that route.
Checking the dyno charts people uploaded in the forums it seems people are getting typically 425-435rwhp with full exhaust/cai/tune. I'll be going catted vs catless and I won't have a CAI intake yet so I don't expect to get quite those numbers but thats still a decent upgrade from stock (375-385whp from what I've seen).

08StangGT_CS

Fight The Urge to Boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Race Red No Options
I have still yet to see how much power LTs really give. Yeah everyone says it gives you xx much but haven't seen anyone do a before/after comparison. Like someone else said horsepower/$ wise is probably not a good investment.

With that being said, I've ran ARH LT in both of my last two cars. Just the sound makes it worth to me. I would have even gotten them for this car if it wasn't for those spinning things down there.

Last edited:

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
as mentioned worth is objective. sounds like stock airbox flows enough that it wouldnt harm you and you could prob get same/similar results without the cai but its def not gonna hurt you to do LT without a cai

OP
OP

AznInvazn57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have still yet to see how much power LTs really give. Yeah everyone says it gives you xx much but haven't seen anyone do a before/after comparison. Like someone else said horsepower/$ wise is probably not a good investment.

With that being said, I've ran ARH LT in both of my last two cars. Just the sound makes it worth to me. I would have even gotten them for this car if it wasn't for those spinning things down there.
Yea I mean I'm not really searching after big numbers. A lot of it is the sound tbh. Buddy of mine has long tubes with his exhaust and imo it sounds so good. So I guess that's what I'm after.

Sponsored
OP
OP

AznInvazn57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
as mentioned worth is objective. sounds like stock airbox flows enough that it wouldnt harm you and you could prob get same/similar results without the cai but its def not gonna hurt you to do LT without a cai
That's what I've heard as well. I heard the stock airbox is actually pretty darn good this gen so I'm not super worried about it. I mean if I don't need to drop another $300-400 I'm all for it.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I've got LT's, Mishimito Intake connecting to the factory airbox + K&N. The car felt stronger after the LT install. Soundwise it will make you smile.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
My buddy went catted LT.. His ET at the track said around 8hp gain.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yes. Just put a high flow filter on the stock box. Stock box flows enough for a supercharged car to make 600 hp with it. Or, if you want the stock-like design, wait for the new Steeda CAI (closed box) to be released.
Sponsored