Sponsored

The 17' sound tube sponge ?

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' , premium ,10 speed, Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Do the 15 and up Mustang GT's have a sponge inside the sound tube like the 14' and older Mustang GT's?

I took two sponges out of my 14' GT and it made a big difference.

Instead of ripping it apart in multiple places I would rather go right to the sponge and I was wondering if anybody had done this yet on the 15 and newer...

I want to make a little more noise inside the car.

No I'm not ripping it out.
No I'm not changing the exhaust.

Thanks !

Sponsored

Last edited:

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I don't know but I will cut mine apart tonight. I pulled it out and it is not going back in.

Rasn1320

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jer
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT premium 5.0 black accent pack, 3.55 gears
I don't know but I will cut mine apart tonight. I pulled it out and it is not going back in.
Hmmm sounds good,is this difficult? Will a check engine light come on?

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm sounds good,is this difficult? Will a check engine light come on?
No you do not get a check engine light.

I think there is a sponge directly behind the brake pedal, immediately at the firewall but I don't want to disconnect and move my pedals.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Like victory said, no check engine light if you plug the hole on the intake. I'm not sure what would happen if you did not plug the hole but certainly run the risk of something getting sucked directly into the throttle body since there is no filter between the hole and the TB. It could cause the MAF sensor to throw a code since the new air inlet hole will affect airflow, possibly? I capped the hole on the intake tube and used black duct tape on thec firewall.

The only difficult part is more of a pain than difficult. Getting the nut off at the firewall to release the sound tube from the firewall. It is in there at an awkward angle and hard to reach.

Sponsored

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I didn't find it that hard to remove the nut at the firewall. I just un-clipped and removed the tube from the air intake. Then I pulled out the oil dipstick, lifted the tube assembly and using a small wrench {I think it was 10mm} I slide my arm down under the tube toward the firewall and worked the nut off. I got a 30mm plug for the firewall from under the back seat floor cushion of, if I remember correctly, 2007-09 Ford Fusion in the junkyard. There's 2-30mm plugs in the floor board.

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=33159]victory-rc[/MENTION] I borrowed your pic and circled the induction sound tube trumpet. The sound is produced by air movement causing the diaphragm to vibrate.

A high flow air filter and / or ram air intakes will definitely give you more intake sound in the cabin.

Piping in a little engine music!!! If you want it quiet in the cabin you can put a valve in it.
So you're saying there is no sponge to remove to make it louder?
Well that sucks.

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary WW STICK
my car is so quiet I don't even hear this sound tube thing. it's like it has a different exhaust or something because I watch all the videos of fairly loud but stock cars and when I'm driving it's just too dang quiet I don't get it.

there's a guy making a sound tube "loudener" kit but that's for supercharged cars and I haven't seen pics or details to see if applies to NA cars.

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary WW STICK
@victory-rc I borrowed your pic and circled the induction sound tube trumpet. The sound is produced by air movement causing the diaphragm to vibrate.

A high flow air filter and / or ram air intakes will definitely give you more intake sound in the cabin.

Piping in a little engine music!!! If you want it quiet in the cabin you can put a valve in it.
very cool mod you have with the valve though I like it a lot!

So a drop in K&N should produced more sound? I put an aftermarket CAI with a closed box + cone filter on my truck and like the sound so much I don't even want a catback - just hear the engine like that and it doesn't even need a sound tube to be heard inside. glad it has a window too because I just looked at it today and it is filthy! completely covered with dirt dust and needs to be cleaned off.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I'm pretty sure there is indeed a sponge at the firewall as I've contemplated the exact same mod as the OP states. I just haven't done it as it's a pain to get at, although bjstang's tip of removing the inner fender liner might be worth a look see.
[MENTION=27640]bjstang[/MENTION] - Which side as the tube seems to connect around the middle of the firewall?

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
There is a sponge where it connects to the firewall for sure, I remember this when i removed mine.

FWIW the only sound tube threads should be "how do i remove this abortion"

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is a sponge where it connects to the firewall for sure, I remember this when i removed mine.

FWIW the only sound tube threads should be "how do i remove this abortion"

No.. I don't want to remove the sound tube, I want to use it..

So far it sounds like one sponge can come out.
Sponsored