Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
1LE and PP2 are not intended for the "general public". Why can't people get that in here?

The biggest buyers of Camaros and Mustangs are Avis and Hertz.
Rental car companies have bought 300.000 Mustangs and 130.000 camaros my God no wonder you only see them at airports :lol:
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
The biggest buyers of Camaros and Mustangs are Avis and Hertz.
Well, obviously. Most people are not going to buy more than one. A few might buy two. Nobody is going to buy a couple hundred. Ford total fleet sales (rental, government, commercial) is a little over 25%. Retail sales still outpace fleet sales by a large margin.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
My short list is: Camaro SS 1LE (1SS or 2SS), Mustang GT PP2, Corvette Grand Sport 2LT

My last 2 track cars were 2012 Mustang GT Brembo Brake Package + mods, and 2015 C7 Corvette Z51 - stock except for alignment pads and tires.

Buying a Grand Sport will feel like basically owning the same car I just sold (from the interior) with just a bit come grip. The 1LE has everything, except I don't like the interior/looks that much. The Mustang GT I like the looks/interior a lot, but it's disappointing that even on PP2 Ford left so much of the needed track HW out.

In the end, I'd say I'm leaning towards 1LE. When I see the discounts available from KOONS on it, it makes it very appealing.
Just be aware Koons does not include freight or dealer fees on their posted online prices. Depending on the store it can be up to $700 or so in dealer fees plus freight. I usually add about $1500 to their price to get a closer number.

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto Lightening Blue
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Evan Smith’s run?
Published Times:

2016 SS (Mk VI) Auto [email protected] Hot Rod Magazine pro driver

11.905@@117.69 (fastest stock time claimed on the fast list at camaro6.com for a 2016+ SS Auto from thousands of forum member passes, based on honor system re: mods, beating Hot Rod Magazine's professional driver by a whopping .3 seconds and 3 miles per hour.)

2018 Mustang GT Auto PP1 [email protected] Hot Rod Magazine

(Keep in mind that once thousands of owner passes go down on 2018 Mustang GT autos, if they beat the Hot Rod Magazine staff times by the same margin, that's an [email protected] mph pass!)

2018 ZL1 1LE Package (Mk VI)
11.7 s @ 123.0

ZL1 (Mk VI)
11.5 s @ 125.0 mph

C7 Corvette Grand Sport Mag Times
[email protected]

C7 Magazine Times
12.2@119
[email protected]
[email protected] (carsillustrated.com run)

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Published Times:

2016 SS (Mk VI) Auto [email protected] Hot Rod Magazine pro driver

11.905@@117.69 (fastest stock time claimed on the fast list at camaro6.com for a 2016+ SS Auto from thousands of forum member passes, based on honor system re: mods, beating Hot Rod Magazine's professional driver by a whopping .3 seconds and 3 miles per hour.)

2018 Mustang GT Auto PP1 [email protected] Hot Rod Magazine

(Keep in mind that once thousands of owner passes go down on 2018 Mustang GT autos, if they beat the Hot Rod Magazine staff times by the same margin, that's an [email protected] mph pass!)

2018 ZL1 1LE Package (Mk VI)
11.7 s @ 123.0

ZL1 (Mk VI)
11.5 s @ 125.0 mph
Yeah that was Evan Smith’s run. C6G proclaimed it was BS and that the run is fraudulent and does not count. That is supported by the Camaro owners on this fourm.

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that was Evan Smith’s run. C6G proclaimed it was BS and that the run is fraudulent and does not count. That is supported by the Camaro owners on this fourm.
Well fortunately we don't get to just claim BS when some other brand's car is faster than we want it to be. They go into great detail about their process and numerous times and speeds they ran that day. The time stands but it will be eclipsed by other runs in auto '18+ GTs once thousands of passes have been made by owners and car mags.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The magazines are not pushing it as much as you think. If you look at the Car and Driver Lightning Lap, it is a bunch of editors driving the cars in shorts and open face helmets - which is not even allowed in the track days that I instruct at. The times that they are posting are a middle of the pack intermediate-advanced track day pace.

Randy obviously is talented, but even he is posting times in an open face helmet in a car full of cameras, that he drives for a few minutes prior to the hot lap. He is not at a race pace. So his times can be matched by an owner who is an advanced HPDE driver with racing experience that is super familiar with the car.

So, personally, I think my times would be better than the Car and Driver times, and probably no more than a sec or two behind Randy's time in the tracks that I know in my car that I have dialed in to my tastes.

I may be wrong, but that is what I think.
You aren't wrong. My first ever track day at the drag strip with my wife's 2007 WRX, I pulled a time equivalent to C&D. I know different conditions and whatnot, but I was inexperienced and learning. This can also be seen with the magazine 1/4 miles times of 12.6 sec in the 6spd 2018 GT, while Evan Smith managed a 12.2.

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
You aren't wrong. My first ever track day at the drag strip with my wife's 2007 WRX, I pulled a time equivalent to C&D. I know different conditions and whatnot, but I was inexperienced and learning. This can also be seen with the magazine 1/4 miles times of 12.6 sec in the 6spd 2018 GT, while Evan Smith managed a 12.2.
Most mag 1/4 times are not on prepped tracks. Evan Smith run was on a very prepped track. But again mag test likely represents most average drivers.:cheers:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Most mag 1/4 times are not on prepped tracks. Evan Smith run was on a very prepped track. But again mag test likely represents most average drivers.:cheers:
Rented* prepped track. Forgot about that one myself :eek:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
1LE and PP2 are not intended for the "general public". Why can't people get that in here?

These packages are there for the people who intend to take those cars to track day events.
Is that why the buy rate on the MY15-17 PP1 was somewhere in the neighborhood of 30% of all GT’s sold? You really are clues aren’t you?

I’m curious, does that mean that because the 1SS has similar equipment as the PP1, that it too is not intended for the “general public”? I guess that explains their terrible sales.

I remember hearing that they thought the swaybar and seats were removed to accomplish those times…as it was totally unbelievable.

Most mag times represent what some owners would be able to run on the street. The track is a completely different environment.

As soon as you take an auto on the track with VHT, it is extremely easy with newer cars to get very good ÂĽ mile times. Once owners ÂĽ mile times start rolling out, you will see a lot of low 12, high 11 second ÂĽ mile runs in cool spring air.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Drivers and tracks are such major variables especially with a manual that anything within a half second reported by magazine is a dead heat as far as I'm concerned and probably couldn't be taken advantage of by your average driver. Someone with damn near my setup ran 11s. I went to an event and couldn't match the stock times the magazines put out, So I won't be reporting that lol. Mph was decent though when I actually didn't miss a shift.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
... How often do people push their car to the limits vs., say, looking out the window to see a traffic light? ...
That is no joke.

Here's a small compilation of what professional testers have said about the Camaro's ergonomics:

... you should probably pass on the $900 sunroof to seize precious millimeters of headroom
... the form-over-function exterior creates some ergonomic woes inside
... Hang an arm on the windowsill and your elbow rises to ear level
... The high trunklid and low roofline squeeze the view out the back into a sliver
... Wide B-pillars and the rising beltline render the rear quarter-windows useless
... When the feds make blind-spot monitoring mandatory in the coming years, you’ll have this car to thank
... There’s more natural light entering Guantanamo’s solitary cells than the Camaro’s cabin

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2016-chevrolet-camaro-ss-page-3

... Still can’t see out of the thing, hanging your arm out the window can cause hyperextension of your shoulder
... its narrow slits for side windows, fat C-pillar, and short rear glass—has, indeed, done nothing to improve the outward visibility in this new car. It is abysmal
... The tanklike construction also prevents much light from entering the cabin
... every drive in the Camaro feel like an adventure in spelunking
... Other ergonomic misfires include center HVAC vents mounted so low in the center stack that they dispense air directly onto your shifting hand
... the world’s most useless door pockets
... an infotainment screen canted curiously down toward the floor

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-chevrolet-camaro-ss-automatic-test-review

... the 2016 has about as much glass as does the Unabomber’s supermax cell
... GM design seems obsessed with exploring how small it can make windows
... Blinkered visibility (again)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-chevrolet-camaro-v-6-manual-test-review

... thick slab sides and the bunkerlike greenhouse
... Visibility remains compromised
... the parcel shelf that rises from the base of the rear window to meet the rear backrest—feel like jokes taken a step too far.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-chevrolet-camaro-ss-manual-first-drive-review

Well, I guess you can lurk a little longer :D
haha!

I don't hate Camaros I just call it like I see it. Performance, while important, is not the be all end all to me ...
The reason I've been buying V8 Mustangs from 1982 through today is due to their combination of great performance, upright seating position, and outward visibility.

And I don't "hate" Camaro's either, they just don't offer everything I'm looking for in a car. That's separate from the owners themselves, of which some are great people.
Sponsored