Sponsored

2018 Wards 10 Best Engines, thanks Voodoo!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
looky looky a winner! I really need to drive an 18 so I can compare to the 15 GT I had. GT350 passes along engine tech for a win with Wards!

2018 Winner: Ford Mustang GT 5.0L DOHC V-8

As much as we loved the deep-throated roar of the ’16 Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang that won a Wards 10 Best Engines award two years ago, we’re happy Ford chose to bring some of that engine’s technology and intangibles to this year’s Mustang GT 5.0L V-8.

The redesigned 5.0L earned a trip to the winner’s circle in 2011, as well as the following year, when the 444-hp variant in the Mustang Boss 302 arrived. But today’s engine is light years ahead when it comes to using technology to push performance and efficiency.

As in the GT350 engine, the GT’s 5.0L incorporates spray-in cylinder liners that not only save weight but allow for a slight increase in displacement. Ford engineers add direct fuel injection to the carryover port system to maintain efficiency while providing a more precise level of fueling needed under wide-open throttle and at high speeds.

Combined with a higher (7,500-rpm) redline, reinforced crankshaft and increased compression ratio (12.0:1), the new 5.0L gains 25 hp to 460 hp and a 20-lb.-ft. (27-Nm) bump in torque to 420 lb.-ft. (569 Nm), good for a 4.0-second 0-60 mph (97 km/h) run. More than one editor suggested the engine feels even stronger than advertised.

At the same time, despite running in efficiency-diminishing Track mode and spending considerable time with our right foot firmly planted, our real-world average fuel economy readings hovered around 24 mpg (9.8 L/100 km) and rarely dipped below 20 mpg (11.8 L/100 km). As much as we’d prefer the standard 6-speed manual, we must give credit to the all-new 10-speed automatic transmission on our test car for the surprising fuel efficiency.

Mustang makes its presence felt from startup to redline.
Numbers aside, there’s nothing quite like the visceral feel of a properly tuned V-8 at the limit. “Apparently, there is no replacement for displacement,” observes judge Tom Murphy. “It’s so much fun making this beast howl.”

Our test car came with the optional active-valve performance exhaust allowing muffler adjustments at the touch of a button; it’s doubtful we spent much time exercising the “Quiet” option.

“A symphony, particularly in sport mode,” adds editor Dave Zoia, complimenting the GT’s authentic and raucous exhaust wail.

We welcome the return of a V-8 to the Wards 10 Best Engines list after a one-year hiatus, but already we can see the V-6, turbo-4 and electrified-propulsion system writing on the wall.

Says judge and resident poet James Amend: “One final note, or quote, should emissions regulations take engines like this away from us: ‘Never was there a story of more woe, than this of WardsAuto and the five-oh.’”

http://wardsauto.com/2018-10-best-engines/2018-winner-ford-mustang-gt-50l-dohc-v-8
Sponsored

RyanR3KC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
from the article- "At the same time, despite running in efficiency-diminishing Track mode and spending considerable time with our right foot firmly planted, our real-world average fuel economy readings hovered around 24 mpg (9.8 L/100 km) and rarely dipped below 20 mpg (11.8 L/100 km). As much as we’d prefer the standard 6-speed manual, we must give credit to the all-new 10-speed automatic transmission on our test car for the surprising fuel efficiency."

This feels exaggerated to me. I've only been able to get 21mpg in the Gt350 and that was lazy and conservative highway cruising. If I go to track and ride her hard, I'm around 16-17.

OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
from the article- "At the same time, despite running in efficiency-diminishing Track mode and spending considerable time with our right foot firmly planted, our real-world average fuel economy readings hovered around 24 mpg (9.8 L/100 km) and rarely dipped below 20 mpg (11.8 L/100 km). As much as we’d prefer the standard 6-speed manual, we must give credit to the all-new 10-speed automatic transmission on our test car for the surprising fuel efficiency."

This feels exaggerated to me. I've only been able to get 21mpg in the Gt350 and that was lazy and conservative highway cruising. If I go to track and ride her hard, I'm around 16-17.
I don't think its an exaggeration as the 10 speed autobox has proven to be very efficient. If you watch some youtube reviews you will see that the MPG rating is pretty consistent and in line with this article. I only average about 13mpg in my R ; )

strikes2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda S2000; 2017 LB Mustang GT350
Remember, they're talking about the GT 5.0 motor, not the GT350 5.2.

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I don't think its an exaggeration as the 10 speed autobox has proven to be very efficient. If you watch some youtube reviews you will see that the MPG rating is pretty consistent and in line with this article. I only average about 13mpg in my R ; )
lol I'm glad I saw this -- when I read 16-17 on track I'm like...maybe mine burns excess oil AND gas.

If I take the R out for the day - I need gas on the way home --- or as soon as I fire it up the next day.

OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
lol I'm glad I saw this -- when I read 16-17 on track I'm like...maybe mine burns excess oil AND gas.

If I take the R out for the day - I need gas on the way home --- or as soon as I fire it up the next day.
LOL! on track I average 4-6 MPG : )

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R

Lol, same here. I'm at 13.6mpg on the street with combined street/highway.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Id really like to get 16-17. Without any track days or even trips to redline on a tankful, I can’t do better than 14. If I get more liberal with higher rpm’s it’s closer to 13.

Last edited:

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Id really like to get 16-17.Without ant track days or even trips to recline on a tankful, I can’t do better than 14. If I get more liberal with higher rpm’s it’s closer to 13.
If I drive with the exhaust on quiet my mileage goes up a lot. But as soon as I go loud all bets are off. Not sure what the correlation is.. :shrug: :bolt:

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Why is this in the GT350 section..?

And why is someone thanking voodoo for the Gen3 Coyote ..?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why is this in the GT350 section..?

And why is someone thanking voodoo for the Gen3 Coyote ..?
If you read the original post it will answer your questions.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
The hp combined with mpg that automakers are coming up with these days is remarkable. I swapped a Windsor engine into my first car years ago and thought it was the bees knees with a cam, intake and headers, but my Coyote would eat it for lunch while getting way better mileage.

From the things I've been reading/watching, both stock and tuned versions of the '18 models are ripping it up. Well done Ford.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
If you read the original post it will answer your questions.

I did... and was mocking it.

Ford had already said that they were expanding and incorporating spray-in cylinder liners into many of their new performance engines. The technology is now readily accessible. I don't see "spray-in liners" lending itself to Voodoo lineage, or something to needing "thanking" to the voodoo. (More about investment into US plants.)

I can not wait to see the VE of this engine and a detailed view of the engine's components. It's weak points, etc. I also wonder how much one can alter the Gen3's tq curve with tuning, without going forced.

Questions?
Can you get 480hp out of the Gen3 on 93 octane..? Does it breath enough? What is the engine's max revs after internals are replaced..? I am also wondering, how good the new transmissions are... or if the manual is good enough, or will it need replaced, etc..?

But again, this is a GT350 forum & this engine is in a GT.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Its a great engine that 5.0 ... even the first gen 412 HP yote in the 2011 GT felt a lot more powerful than it was, while getting 30 MPG hypermiling on the freeway. I'm glad I owned that car once; that Mustang was a milestone in history for the books to come.
Sponsored