Sponsored

Completed: BMW M3-Style Steering Wheel Installed Into S550

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[MENTION=26543]swat 79[/MENTION]

Did you get it installed? I ended up scoring an unused black / black redline cover with extra padding for a good deal. Also got a OEM wheel used for a good price, so I don't have to have down time while I figure out if I'm going to do it myself or not. I wasn't the best at using glue in school - so I may farm it out to a local upholstery shop.

Hey man, you have great timing. So I have been trying to find a place to get it installed, and no where would take it. They all said it was a too difficult job.

So I ended up finding SeatCo in Springfield, and they called me yesterday to tell me that they were struggling because the thread wasn't strong enough and it continued to break. I actually had to leave the car with them overnight.

I'm hoping to pick it up today at 12, hopefully I will have some good news, but so far this has been an absolute grip.
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Hey man, you have great timing. So I have been trying to find a place to get it installed, and no where would take it. They all said it was a too difficult job.

So I ended up finding SeatCo in Springfield, and they called me yesterday to tell me that they were struggling because the thread wasn't strong enough and it continued to break. I actually had to leave the car with them overnight.

I'm hoping to pick it up today at 12, hopefully I will have some good news, but so far this has been an absolute grip.
Well I called several local (Richmond area) upholstery shops. Two of them want to see it before they give a quote - I'll likely bring them the wrap / padding and the spare wheel when it all arrives and see what they say. Two other places said they don't do steering wheels, because of airbags etc - even AFTER I explained I was bringing them the steering wheel off the car.

Another small shop said he couldn't see it taking more than two hours (labor is $65 an hour). I will likely hit him up as well.

Of course I didn't realize that the shop that Redline themselves uses for install is in Cary, NC and not far from me at all. 1 day shipping for UPS and USPS. It would be @$190 to have it installed there (padding and wrap). Add another $7 for USPS Priority.

Since I will recoup around $100 selling my original wheel - that adjusts the cost some. Still haven't figured out which way I'm going.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well I called several local (Richmond area) upholstery shops. Two of them want to see it before they give a quote - I'll likely bring them the wrap / padding and the spare wheel when it all arrives and see what they say. Two other places said they don't do steering wheels, because of airbags etc - even AFTER I explained I was bringing them the steering wheel off the car.

Another small shop said he couldn't see it taking more than two hours (labor is $65 an hour). I will likely hit him up as well.

Of course I didn't realize that the shop that Redline themselves uses for install is in Cary, NC and not far from me at all. 1 day shipping for UPS and USPS. It would be @$190 to have it installed there (padding and wrap). Add another $7 for USPS Priority.

Since I will recoup around $100 selling my original wheel - that adjusts the cost some. Still haven't figured out which way I'm going.
If you have a separate wheel, I strongly suggest sending it to them to have their installer do it. $190 is a great price, I am going to pay right around $300 (simply because the company didn't want to charge me any more for a "simple" wheel cover).

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I got it done, and despite the headache that was the install I'm thrilled with the result. It looks and feels great, and while maintaining the factory look.

Unfortunately, I can't get the pictures to upload for some reason. Once I'm back from the holiday's, I'll write up a proper review!

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Update: the wheel has been on the car for about a month now and it is holding up great. The divine odor of fresh leather still circulates about the cabin and the leather is so, so smooth.

Additionally, the overall purchase experience was literally perfect. I ordered the wheel (+core charge), had it delivered within a week, sent my old OEM wheel to the vendor, and they refunded my core charge immediately. Their customer service even emailed to notify me of the refund and to check how their product and my satisfaction was. A+, and highly recommend.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I'm waiting on my recovered wheel to make it back to me. Snow has delayed the USPS Package. Will post pics when it's installed.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Very nice!

I bought a GT350R wheel from someone on the forum (used), and have been driving with it for a week. While I love the feel of the Alcantara, and I rather like the D-shape, I feel like it's too thin. The D-shaped wheel on my wife's Mercedes C300 Sport with AMG package (not a C43 or C63) feels so much better, because it's thicker.

I think I'll use the GT350R wheel until the Alcantara is worn, then have a local shop recover it. The red leather stripe was worn on my wheel, so I had it re-dyed, but they quoted me $225 for a full recover, including leather, Alcantara, and contrasting stitching.

JR

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice!

I bought a GT350R wheel from someone on the forum (used), and have been driving with it for a week. While I love the feel of the Alcantara, and I rather like the D-shape, I feel like it's too thin. The D-shaped wheel on my wife's Mercedes C300 Sport with AMG package (not a C43 or C63) feels so much better, because it's thicker.

I think I'll use the GT350R wheel until the Alcantara is worn, then have a local shop recover it. The red leather stripe was worn on my wheel, so I had it re-dyed, but they quoted me $225 for a full recover, including leather, Alcantara, and contrasting stitching.

JR
$225 sounds like a good deal for transitioning materials, especially with alcantara involved. I vote that you intentionally wear down the alcantara on your current wheel to justify getting what you really want :headbang:

RileyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Gt PP
Having a thicker steering wheel is one of the biggest things I miss about my old bmw. Definitely bookmarking this for a future mod! :D

Last edited:

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
One of my best mods I ever did on my SN95 was the much thicker FR500 steering wheel. Might look into doing this to mine as well.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got the recovered wheel. Will be installing tonight. I didn't want any other color but black, but I did add padding. You really can't tell a difference unless you look close, until of course you put your hands on it. Will post side by side pics (if I remember) and pics after installed.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Well I didn't take a side by side picture...honestly, since I opted for the black leather with black stitching - there really is no difference just LOOKING at the recovered wheel. It's when you put your hands on it.

Got it installed and I like it a lot. Thicker on the sides where it counts - at least for me. I also like the smoother texture of the leather from Redline than the factory 'textured' cover.

Overall - definitely worth the effort.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well I didn't take a side by side picture...honestly, since I opted for the black leather with black stitching - there really is no difference just LOOKING at the recovered wheel. It's when you put your hands on it.

Got it installed and I like it a lot. Thicker on the sides where it counts - at least for me. I also like the smoother texture of the leather from Redline than the factory 'textured' cover.

Overall - definitely worth the effort.
Where did you go to get yours done? For some reason, I can't upload pictures on either of my computers or phone :frusty:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you go to get yours done? For some reason, I can't upload pictures on either of my computers or phone :frusty:
I scored the new, unused Redline cover and padding here in the marketplace. Ended up buying a spare steering wheel off Ebay for cheap. Sent that wheel and the cover to the Redline installer in NC (I'm in VA).

They did a great job.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I scored the new, unused Redline cover and padding here in the marketplace. Ended up buying a spare steering wheel off Ebay for cheap. Sent that wheel and the cover to the Redline installer in NC (I'm in VA).

They did a great job.

Ah, that's right. I'm glad that worked out for you, for future reference I will absolutely do the same thing. I'm thrilled with my wheel (with the redline cover) and it looks quite a bit different (added white stitching and a white center stripe), but install was a PAIN haha
Sponsored