Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
*** Group Buy is active here - http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2039785#post2039785 ***

Hey fellas. I decided to share this here as well since most of my write-ups and photos are focused at the GT350R section, but this one is looking like a good mod for you guys as well.

After my last photoshoot at Thunder Hill Raceway I was contacted by a company named DCT Motor Sports. They are looking to bring a new steering wheel for the S550 Mustang to market and asked me to try it out. I had not felt the need to upgrade from the GT350R wheel, but when I saw their product I was intrigued. Even more pleased when I actually got it in my hands. The stitching, quality of the leather, and weave on the carbon fiber is VERY good.

DSC_1146.jpg

DSC_1144.jpg

DSC_1143.jpg

Of note were the impressions in the top of the steering wheels for your fingers to grip.

DSC_1149.jpg

The only real knock I can make on the OEM wheel is that the Alcantara (or whatever it is) will eventually get messed up if you have sweaty hands, let your kids touch on it, get dirt on the material, or constantly let the wheel slide through your hands after turning. I think a few here have discussed the option of a full leather wheel. I basically resigned myself to wearing driving gloves all the time to save the material, but sometimes that is a bit of a hassle. Being that guy who pulls up to the cars and coffee with the racing gloves on is a bit much at times.

DSC_1147.jpg

This is looking like an attractive option. Once I get it installed I will take pictures side by side of the OEM wheel to check for any differences in size, and will provide impressions after driving.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Since-64'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (soon)
Nice pickup. Very interested in seeing your thoughts and pics after install.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Looks good, hopefully it's priced reasonably. This may be my next mod.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Looks similar to the Beith wheels, I'm curious what type of price they'll come in at.

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Beith steering wheel. How much does this one cost op?

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
These people need to get in contact me with to try things out dammit, that looks beautiful!

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Got the DCT Motorsports carbon fiber/leather GT350R style steering wheel installed. Process was pretty easy using the instructions you can find from Ford Performance, and vides from Late Model Restoration. Took me an hour total and that included taking photos along the way. These should get you through the process pretty easily, but here are a few things of note.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-3600-M350R_FP.pdf
https://lmr.com/products/how-to-install-mustang-gt350-steering-wheel-15-16

Make sure you have the negative battery cable disconnected for at least 1 minute before starting. Once the airbag is loose make sure you pop out these little orange clips to release the connectors

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_1.jpg

This is a good photo of all the screw locations for when you reassemble. Note you will use the supplied screws from DCTMS that are already installed in the new wheel

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_2.jpg

Lift up on this edge to disengage the tabs once the screws are removed

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_3.jpg

The bottom bezel is on kind of tight due to this small piece. Lift up from the bottom with a little force and it will pop out.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_4.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_5.jpg

These clips that hold the airbag in place need to be transferred over to the DCTMS steering wheel. They seat on a small ledge on the wheel. Use a screw driver or pry tool to compress it past the seat and it will slide out. Installation into the new wheel is best done with a pair of pliers and a small pick or screw driver to help seat it back into place.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_7.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_6.jpg

This entire plastic piece will pop off the steering wheel frame so just pull form the top and sides gently to separate them. You will see push pins at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock on the steering wheel. Keep note of how all the wires are ran as you push it back into the new DCTMS frame.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_8.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_9.jpg

Here are some side by side comparison shots I snapped quickly to show the differences in construction. The flat bottom is noticeably longer on the DCTMS version. I took some rough measurements and it appears the OEM wheel is about 14 ¾ inches all around. The DCTMS version is about 14 inches top to bottom, and 14 ½ inches side to side. Depth appears to be identical.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_10.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_11.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_12.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_13.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_14.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_15.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_16.jpg

The final product looks good if you ask me. The juice was definitely worth the squeeze.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_17.jpg

DCTMS does not have these up for sale on their web page yet, but should be live soon. They have a carbon fiber ($599) and full leather ($449) option available. Looks like they also do custom colored stitching.

Sponsored
OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Took my first drive with the wheel tonight and it was very rewarding. The leather feels good in my hands and the added thickness provides a better grip for me. Working on setting DTCMS up as a vendor so I can post the group buy information here.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Quick Update:

DCTMS are still building some inventory since they are one of the few companies that DOES NOT require a core. They are waiting until they have confirmation on when they will have them ready to ship. Should be known by the end of October. They are going to start the vendor account so I can post the group buy around then as well since it gets charged on a monthly basis

After a few more days of driving I am starting to appreciate the new curvatures, thickness, and design of the wheel

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Sub'd. Would be in on the group buy if the price was right. I don't like Alcantara for the reasons the OP described.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Quick Update:

DCTMS are still building some inventory since they are one of the few companies that DOES NOT require a core. They are waiting until they have confirmation on when they will have them ready to ship. Should be known by the end of October. They are going to start the vendor account so I can post the group buy around then as well since it gets charged on a monthly basis

After a few more days of driving I am starting to appreciate the new curvatures, thickness, and design of the wheel
Thanks for the update! I'm really looking forward to this mod :D
Sponsored