Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
All black wheels are an aweful fashion thing that is rapidly going away. Check all the videos covering the IAA in Frankfurt and you'll see 99% of the new models now have wheels with silver or polished edges and only black parts in the inside of the spokes and in the barrels.
Yeah but this is just what the manufacturer's chose to display, this does not represent what the driving public wants on their cars.

I agree that they may be a fad and may work their way out of popularity, but the manufacturer's role... well they don't have a role in setting what the public wants. The wheel color at the show is likely picked by what pairs well with the car color... they are trying attract attention.

It could also be as simple as black wheels don't sell in Germany.

I actually never liked black wheels, then I bought a comp orange GT and black just looks right on the car and will likely look right 15 years from now.
Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Usally the makers just present their top level rims on the cars. So with the Mustang they of course show the new premium package 3 & 4 wheels, because everybody knows the 10Y in black and silver we already got on the Mustang. There are cars where black wheels look awesome, and on other cars it can look stupid. I don't think you can say across all cars if people love or hate black rims.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
That's friggin retarded.. Hopefully they fix that in the 2019 model. Hoping it shows up standard across all models then.
Why is that retarded? European models are priced pretty high because we have no choice but buying a high equipped model. I would love to have the same options as in the US and just build a weekend car with the features I want ;)

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Sponsored

actionjackson83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
white
Why is that retarded? European models are priced pretty high because we have no choice but buying a high equipped model. I would love to have the same options as in the US and just build a weekend car with the features I want ;)
Sorry to clarify the digital dash should be included on every trim as an option, no exclusive only to the premium GT model in the US.

bluefirestarter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue Mustang GT PP1 401a
I'm not a huge fan of black wheels (have gun metal 18" on my EB) but I think the PP wheels on the 18 EB look MUCH better than the GT PP wheels. The GT PP rims just look old to me for some reason. I also think the 15-17 20" wheels look much better than the new 20" wheels.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
thx for the update, I somehow missed that memo.
Indeed. If anything else, you'll be seeing MORE black wheels on higher end performance vehicles when the cost of carbon fiber wheel manufacturing decreases. Those wheel designs and colors will trickle down to lower cars trying to emulate the look.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Too bad.

Count me in on the Burned Out On All-Black Wheels Club.

Early on in S550dom, I remember seeing a show pic of some black GTPP wheels with a machined face that were supposed to be an eventual Ford accessory. Looked killer, amazing what a little machining detail added. The all-black PP wheels were the only thing I really disliked about my '15....

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I never used to like black rims, then I got into the gunmetal thing with Japanese sports cars. Now I love it. I think the new silver outside with black inside rims look cheap. I prefer all silver or all black/gunmetal. I agree with the guys that say OF only looks right with dark rims. I also think the blue colors look best with silver rims.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
Just wondering. How old are you guys that like and hate black wheels? I'm 31 and like black wheels and hate anything with chrome or polished aluminum.
My guess is the break point is around 30 - 35. I'm 31 and only like black wheels if the color fits it. Younger crowd = black wheels, older liking what they grew up with. Younger crowd grows up with black wheels, yet the older crowd can't understand why black is so popular. :shrug: Then again, I grew up in the old school scene so my preferences then to lie there. Love the black on my CO, would puke if I put black on my blue 240Z.

What I don't get is the people who say all black wheels are ugly, or all chrome wheels are ugly. :shrug: Wheels should fit the car, there is no one size fits all.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
40 years old here. Black or bust.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
My guess is the break point is around 30 - 35. I'm 31 and only like black wheels if the color fits it. Younger crowd = black wheels, older liking what they grew up with. Younger crowd grows up with black wheels, yet the older crowd can't understand why black is so popular. :shrug: Then again, I grew up in the old school scene so my preferences then to lie there. Love the black on my CO, would puke if I put black on my blue 240Z.

What I don't get is the people who say all black wheels are ugly, or all chrome wheels are ugly. :shrug: Wheels should fit the car, there is no one size fits all.
39, like the black wheels on my Ruby Red. They also give you a great base to plastidip over (hello copper!).

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I'll immediately admit I'm an old fart with my 52 and geniune dislike of all black wheels.

But note that I say all black wheels. Together with black tires in a black wheel well they create the optical effect of a black blob. Might as well put steel black winter wheels on the car, looks the same.

But... even a thin silver outer edge already makes a vast difference. And I can actually appreciate a well designed combination of silver or polished spokes with black inner edges and black barrell. Or charcoal like on the 20" optional foundry wheels on the 2015-17. I love those.

It's that style that looks like the next mainstream design trend if you take all the new cars at the IAA as a reference.
Sponsored