Sponsored

Does imperfections in the road pull your car all over the place?

diegoaccord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Lancer Evolution X, 325i E46
Well, any minor imperfection and this car seems to go where ever it wants, and it definitely has this sideways hop in long turns, like interstate to interstate curves.

Is this a thing? base GT.
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I don't really notice that with my car, but it probably is affected by several factors. Tire size if getting caught in a rut/indent in the road, as well as what has been changed in the rest of the suspension. Even when my car was stock I didn't really get that feeling though. May not be a bad idea to bring it to the dealer and get the suspension checked out if it's extreme. I do notice on a Premium model the steering settings do make a big change in how tight or loose the car feels.

The sideways hop would most likely be fixed by some suspension upgrades in the rear. Cradle lockout comes to mind as it really tightens up the rear, but let someone else more knowledgable chime in on that. [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION]

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Mine did that until I put Continental Extremes on. Pirelli tires suck. Also check tire inflation, too low does that as well. Always check the easy fixes first!

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, my ecoboost is rock solid, then again, it is lowered, has anti wheel hop (subframe bushings) installed, strut brace, etc.

I am also driving on the original 18" eagle goodyear tires that came with the car, also I always put the steering on sport mode, much tighter and precise that way.

That is the one thing I like about the car the most, just how planted the whole thing feels, especially at speed, the fastest you go , say around 120mph, the better it feels.

TC

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
As mentioned, the first things to check are tire pressures and alignment. Honestly, it can be "green" and still off enough to cause erratic handling. Make sure your pressures are 32 cold, so 34-35 warmed up. The dealers overfill them and most people drive off with 40+ psi in their tires.

Outside of that, I would look at two things primarily. The first is dampers, as the base cars are pretty underdamped and can be improved dramatically with better shocks. The next is the BMR CB005 cradle lockout kit, as it stops the subframe from moving around a great deal during acceleration, cornering and over bumps (pretty much anything).

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Well, any minor imperfection and this car seems to go where ever it wants, and it definitely has this sideways hop in long turns, like interstate to interstate curves.

What did you drive previously? At what speeds does this happen?

My base GT PP with oem springs and bars doesn't do anything like this either with original shocks or with Konis and with either original Pirelli's or with Bridgestone RE-71R's. Our solid axle Mustangs were/are more likely to "sideways hop" in bumpy turns.

Assuming your cold tire pressures are close to oem specs then the absolute biggest improvement to "road disturbances" moving the chassis around would be a set of Koni shocks set close to full soft. The spring rate differences between the base GT and the PP version are minor.

It will also help to know what type of vehicle you are used to and how "relaxed" your grip is on the steering wheel. That said the car really doesn't require more than a light grip until you are cornering hard or the road is bumpy. I've driven Ohio interstates with my 2015 on stiff autocross tires with no problems.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What did you drive previously? At what speeds does this happen?

My base GT PP with oem springs and bars doesn't do anything like this either with original shocks or with Konis and with either original Pirelli's or with Bridgestone RE-71R's. Our solid axle Mustangs were/are more likely to "sideways hop" in bumpy turns.

Assuming your cold tire pressures are close to oem specs then the absolute biggest improvement to "road disturbances" moving the chassis around would be a set of Koni shocks set close to full soft. The spring rate differences between the base GT and the PP version are minor.

It will also help to know what type of vehicle you are used to and how "relaxed" your grip is on the steering wheel. That said the car really doesn't require more than a light grip until you are cornering hard or the road is bumpy. I've driven Ohio interstates with my 2015 on stiff autocross tires with no problems.
Koni yellow with stock springs, even on full soft would be a bit much for anyone that's not used to the compromises for handling. I would recommend Koni orange or Steeda fixed pro action for stock springs unless he's prepared to also go up in spring rate some.

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
I've experienced the same on bumpy roads with stock Pirelli's on a base GT. Think the slightly wider rear track (?) may play into this.

My C5 Corvette did the same thing but was stiffer so more of a battle than a wandering over bumps.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Not when I'm actually cruising but if I'm rolling slowly say near a light that has pavement rutting then I can feel the car pulling but that's going to happen on a wider tire with road imperfections. If you are driving 60 MPH and still feel it, I'd say that isn't right...

bigdave03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2106 Mustang Gt
Its called "Tramlining" and my car does it too. Especially once I put the fat meats under it. It does take a pretty bad road to cause it but I've noticed it from time to time. Most of the roads I dive are well maintained so it runs straight and true. A good bump in a corner will upset the car but not near as bad as the older solid rear cars :lol:

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Its called "Tramlining" and my car does it too. Especially once I put the fat meats under it. It does take a pretty bad road to cause it but I've noticed it from time to time. Most of the roads I dive are well maintained so it runs straight and true. A good bump in a corner will upset the car but not near as bad as the older solid rear cars :lol:
I had 285s in the front on my 2011 GT. horrible lol

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah my base does it on the stock all seasons. I installed the CB005 kit followed by an alignment which helped with wheel hop but the car still tramlines whenever there are imperfections in the road. My air pressure is at 32 on all 4 corners. Was pretty surprised it happens with the new car. It doesn't happen all the time by any means, just certain sections of roads where there are dips or indentations. Also like meantioned above I notice it when going slower speeds the most.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Not a problem on mine.

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes

How many miles do you have on it? When my GT350 was new, it was a handful if the road had ruts. It would jerk the wheel out of your hands if you didn't hold tight. As the car got some miles, the intensity went way down. Probably the tires and suspension getting broken in.

I'm at 6500 mi now and it rarely happens. The wider the tires, the more pronounced the effect is.

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
It would jerk the wheel out of your hands if you didn't hold tight.
This exactly what I'm dealing with everyday.

Funny thing, it got much worse when I replaced the original Pirelli with PSS :doh:
Sponsored