Sponsored

Revved near 8000rpm

Numa210

Numa210
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
I was out with a friend last night showing off the GT, and I asked her if she wanted to downshift for me. Instead of going to 4th, she went right down to 2nd and the engine revved all the way up to the end of the redline. Car didn't take off either. I hit the clutch after a second n a half. Engine temperatures and oil temps were still at their usual temps. Car drove fine the rest of the night too and even held up when I'd gun it or drift around too. I think the car is fine. Figured I'd drop a post here about it and see if y'all think I should check anything else
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I hope the valves are not bent or something. Check your engine oil maybe do an UOA to find out if you spun any bearings.

Mr. Dad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT w/PP Magnetic 6 spd; 2005 F150 FX4
So you asked a chick to downshift for you, she went right into 2nd, and your engine revved past 8000 rpm? Yeah, I remember when I was young and had girls do similar things to me. Consider yourself lucky! Is she cute?

Figured I'd drop a post here about it and see if y'all think I should check anything else

Last edited:

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
Ah, the ole' let her shift your car for you so you might have a chance to have her shift other things later that night...

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I hope the valves are not bent or something. Check your engine oil maybe do an UOA to find out if you spun any bearings.
Right because the rev limiter is there well before any of that could happen. :lol:

I swear that no thought at all goes in to your posts its just type type type.

Ritchie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any old shite.
Right because the rev limiter is there well before any of that could happen. :lol:

I don't mean to be a smartass but the limiter won't do diddly on the overrun.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT

A rev limiter does nothing if the engine is mechanically overdriven.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

I don't mean to be a smartass but the limiter won't do diddly on the overrun.
A rev limiter does nothing if the engine is mechanically overdriven.
ELOHEL. I bet he regrets that post. Akin to saying "Your retarded."

Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
So one guy with a manual is letting some strange shift for him and reving to 8000 and one guy is lazy and driving around in 6th at 30 mph at 800 rpm. (Yes on level ground so that is fine)

Maybe a refresher drivers ed course! Maybe that's why I don't buy used cars, especially one with a manual?

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Volkswagen Beetle, 2018 Mustang GT
So one guy with a manual is letting some strange shift for him and reving to 8000 and one guy is lazy and driving around in 6th at 30 mph at 800 rpm. (Yes on level ground so that is fine)

Maybe a refresher drivers ed course! Maybe that's why I don't buy used cars, especially one with a manual?
Man I thought I was the only one who wouldn't buy a used manual sports, muscle, or performance car! I just couldn't get the thought out of my head of someone, out of ignorance, ineptitude, or just plain douchery, absolutely TRASHING the engine, clutch, transmission, etc., and I didn't want to inherit the potential problems of their shenanigans.

Related: when I used to drop off my Evo VIII for any type of service, I wrote down the odometer, and make sure the service guy knew that I wrote it down. I fully expected the service people to go all Ferris Bueller's Day Off Parking Lot Attendants on my car.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was out with a friend last night showing off the GT, and I asked her if she wanted to downshift for me. Instead of going to 4th, she went right down to 2nd and the engine revved all the way up to the end of the redline. Car didn't take off either. I hit the clutch after a second n a half. ...
Next time let out the clutch slower, or try to have a quicker reaction time. I think you should have been able to catch that as RPMs crossed 6000.

... Related: when I used to drop off my Evo VIII for any type of service, I wrote down the odometer, and make sure the service guy knew that I wrote it down. I fully expected the service people to go all Ferris Bueller's Day Off Parking Lot Attendants on my car.
This is where I would prefer an auto. MyKey helps some. MyKey will generate an alert to the driver that a speed limiter is in effect.

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
I had a friend who mis-shifted the same way about 10 years ago in his LS1 TA. The car drove perfectly afterwards until a week later the bottom end just took a dump enexpectedly. Good luck.