Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If we want apples let's do this:

http://cars.mclaren.com/files/live/...n/Spec Doc's/720S Technical Specification.pdf

Over 230lbs lighter dry, with an 8 under the bonnet.

But I'll stop as I don't want to derail this thread any further. Ford although is awesome at drivetrains, chassis and lightening is not their forte.
I get that we're on a Ford site, and I like the GT, I really do.

Mclaren has hydraulic steering, rear deck wing, and V2.0 suspension from the P1.

It also has a nutty 4L V8 that turns 8500rpm. Sorry the GT doesn't quite compare, especially being the weight it is. It's also 150k cheaper lol.

But back on Mustang talk.

I'm thinking centrifugal supercharged configuration. They're much harder to discern sound wise than roots. A slight whooosh vs whining. Can be mistake as NA
How has McLaren been doing at LeMans?

And try this:
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/news/ford-gt-supercar-faster-ferrari-mclaren-article-1.2956133

I do agree that a V8 is superior in sound to a V6, but I think you're implying that the McLaren is better in performance than the Ford GT. I don't think they're even close. A car's weight is an indicator of performance, but it's not the only factor by any means.
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
How has McLaren been doing at LeMans?

And try this:
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/news/ford-gt-supercar-faster-ferrari-mclaren-article-1.2956133

I do agree that a V8 is superior in sound to a V6, but I think you're implying that the McLaren is better in performance than the Ford GT. I don't think they're even close. A car's weight is an indicator of performance, but it's not the only factor by any means.
You should actually check out the car I'm talking about. Not the mclaren or Ferrari from last generations. Lol.

Every review this far has pointed to a better, quicker, cheaper car. Mclaren.

Only thing is the GT can do 216mph vs 212. So I'll tip my hat there.

There's a lot of butthurt going on here, just because our FORD, and yes I use our because I'm a fan, came out with a half million dollar car - it doesn't mean it's faster or as good as another car it competes with at 2/3 price.

The Ford GT is built around a carbonfibre tub, the 45 pieces that comprise it bonded together, and that bonding said to soak up any small variability in production. All the body panels are carbonfibre too. The dry weight of the ‘Competition Pack’ car –without air-con, and with carbon wheels and titanium exhaust – is 1385kg, around 100kg more than a McLaren 720S. The regular Ford GT adds a further 60kg, and that’s the car we’re driving.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/ford/ford-gt-supercar-2017-review/

Normal GT is 160kg heavier. SMH.

Wait until the bespoke Mclaren is announced next year. It'll likely be 200kg lighter and have 740+ hp.

Like our muscle car wars, the supercar wars are also heating up.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
You should actually check out the car I'm talking about. Not the mclaren or Ferrari from last generations. Lol.

Every review this far has pointed to a better, quicker, cheaper car. Mclaren.

Only thing is the GT can do 216mph vs 212. So I'll tip my hat there.

There's a lot of butthurt going on here, just because our FORD, and yes I use our because I'm a fan, came out with a half million dollar car - it doesn't mean it's faster or as good as another car it competes with at 2/3 price.

The Ford GT is built around a carbonfibre tub, the 45 pieces that comprise it bonded together, and that bonding said to soak up any small variability in production. All the body panels are carbonfibre too. The dry weight of the ‘Competition Pack’ car –without air-con, and with carbon wheels and titanium exhaust – is 1385kg, around 100kg more than a McLaren 720S. The regular Ford GT adds a further 60kg, and that’s the car we’re driving.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/ford/ford-gt-supercar-2017-review/

Normal GT is 160kg heavier. SMH.

Wait until the bespoke Mclaren is announced next year. It'll likely be 200kg lighter and have 740+ hp.

Like our muscle car wars, the supercar wars are also heating up.
You forget that the GT has a built in roll bar that the Mclaren does not have.
The Mclaren must be modded for a roll bar. This fact adds weight.
The Mclaren needs much more mods to compete with the GT in FIA/IMSA.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
You forget that the GT has a built in roll bar that the Mclaren does not have.
The Mclaren must be modded for a roll bar. This fact adds weight.
The Mclaren needs much more mods to compete with the GT in FIA/IMSA.
Doesn't the GT race in a performance balanced class? That's why a lowly Corvette gives the GT a run for its money. A competitor adding a roll bar would mean fewer/lower handicaps from the sanctioning body to offset the weight gain. Those classes are about reliability, preparation, execution, luck and how well you can sandbag while handicaps are being formulated. The speed (pre-handicaps) is almost irrelevant.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I get that we're on a Ford site, and I like the GT, I really do.

Mclaren has hydraulic steering, rear deck wing, and V2.0 suspension from the P1.

It also has a nutty 4L V8 that turns 8500rpm. Sorry the GT doesn't quite compare, especially being the weight it is. It's also 150k cheaper lol.

But back on Mustang talk.

I'm thinking centrifugal supercharged configuration. They're much harder to discern sound wise than roots. A slight whooosh vs whining. Can be mistake as NA
Oh, you're talking about the new 720S that weighs 3,120lbs and not the 3,000lb 675LT -got it.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2018-mclaren-720s-first-drive-review

The GT is heavier than the 675 with similar power, more downforce and a lower ride height. iirc, the 720 turns similar lap times to the 675 with non Trofeo-R/PSC2 "street" tires and weighing about the same as the GT, which is pretty impressive.

On note of price, out the door it's difficult to find 488 & 650/720s anywhere near their base price. Pretty much add on an additional $100K for the true "as delivered" price of those cars. No one makes a "stripper" model 458/488/650/720 anywhere near their base price. The 458 Speciale is a 400K car and most 650S' are sold around 350-400. Heck, the base price of the 675LT is $350K so the realistic difference isn't huge when you consider those are all mass-produced cars vs the one-off GT.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Oh, you're talking about the new 720S that weighs 3,120lbs and not the 3,000lb 675LT -got it.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2018-mclaren-720s-first-drive-review

The GT is heavier than the 675 with similar power, more downforce and a lower ride height. iirc, the 720 turns similar lap times to the 675 with non Trofeo-R/PSC2 "street" tires and weighing about the same as the GT, which is pretty impressive.

On note of price, out the door it's difficult to find 488 & 650/720s anywhere near their base price. Pretty much add on an additional $100K for the true "as delivered" price of those cars. No one makes a "stripper" model 458/488/650/720 anywhere near their base price. The 458 Speciale is a 400K car and most 650S' are sold around 350-400. Heck, the base price of the 675LT is $350K so the realistic difference isn't huge when you consider those are all mass-produced cars vs the one-off GT.
Yes I agree with what you're saying. And just as a side note, Mclarens are just as handbuilt as the Canadian Ford GT.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Must not be very impresive then. Why not butter people up way in advance. Same deal with the raptor, i practically already had it ordered when the power figures came out and once they did i was disapointed. Wanted about 50 more of each. Oh well...

Watch the easter egg dash shot of 455hp and it actually come with 445 HP. Or 755 HP come with 730 (just enough to beat a hellcat)
With the largest components of the suspension already aluminum(RLCA, front and rear knuckles) there isn't much weight left to be lost there. Best bet would be the subframes but with the race teams including the GT4 Mustang still using the standard stamped steel subframes it seems unlikely to me Ford will change those much for an SE model.
You all hoping for drastic weight changes on an aged platform are going to be disappointed. Just saying... CF bits/pieces are nice but there just lipstick on a pig.
Carbon fiber can save lots of weight. Carbon fiber has EXTREMELY anisotropic properties, so its very hard to generalize as its extremely dependent upon the fiber weave. Depending on application, you can get a stronger and lighter part with carbon fiber compared to aluminum. Its "just" a matter of making it cheap enough.

Ford worked with magna and was able to save 45 pounds out of a subframe, and drastically reduce the number of components compared to steel.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/magna-ford-testing-carbon-fiber-subframe-future-cars/

The problem with weight today is we get nickeled and dimed with everything. Engineers say 5 pounds here, 10 there, a few grams in 100 bolts, etc. aren't a big deal but it all adds up. All to save a penny on hardware here and there, or a few bucks on components.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yeah, they probably wont offer that in this chassis but would be nice if they used carbon fiber in place of heaviest components and economicaly build them. Say 100 lbs reduction for maybe 8k. Still almost $100/lb
Id be better off going on a diet.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Yeah, they probably wont offer that in this chassis but would be nice if they used carbon fiber in place of heaviest components and economicaly build them. Say 100 lbs reduction for maybe 8k. Still almost $100/lb
Id be better off going on a diet.
I think they could do better if they mixed in more aluminum. I think for 10k they could cut 200 lbs or so, the question is do they care that much and so they think the customers are willing to pay for it.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I hear you man, id love to have the weight reduction. I think all aluminum will be coming next chassis. Dont know what they will offer this go around for the price point they want to be in. My guess is, it wont be much :(

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I hear you man, id love to have the weight reduction. I think all aluminum will be coming next chassis. Dont know what they will offer this go around for the price point they want to be in. My guess is, it wont be much :(
I'm with you, I think they'll do just enough to keep it under 4K, and save it for the S650 platform, since the S550 is a relatively short lived platform, what 5-6 years. If they go all aluminum chassis for the S650 I think they could easily cut 200-300 lbs.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yeah, thats where i think it dropa quite a bit. Maybe 300 lbs overall, depending on size.
Hopefully we will still get at least 600hp without added battery weight.
Maybe we can see a 3300 lb 550HP na.. hmmm.