2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Ford is going to sell each and every SE mustang they make regardless of your approval on their marketing decisions. I don't recall if GM was so secretive regarding their 5th-gen Z/28 but those ended up sitting on lots with deep discounts. FoMoCo is obviously doing something right if the demand is this crazy for their products.
Im sure they will sell them... maybe not to me, but im sure someone will buy the one i do/dont. History is on their side it wont be a flop like the Z28 but anything is possible.

Edit:
Was just talking to my ford dealer, he sells Dodge too. Said that mustang was outsold by the the challenger for june and most likely july too as the demon figures werent applied to june. He told me it was most likely due to the demon marketing. Also could be some are waiting for the mustang refresh.
If ford did do some marketing (like they are starting to try with the 350 vid) maybe that would spread to the full line, which isnt doing as well as it can/should. Makes more sense to me...and with the 350 vids maybe ford is starting to realize this too.
Sponsored

Last edited:

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I guess my concern is, well they build that many? How many 350/350R have been built? I still haven't seen a 350R for MSRP or under, and most 350's still are going for about MSRP and its been what 2 years or so. I hope they exceed expectations as well, but I'd rather see them do it in the more surprising ways like cutting weight.
Their easiest opportunity to loose weight is in the suspension, and cradles.

There is lots of talk about the use of composites in this new Halo stang and across Ford in general within the chassis. With confirmation of a CFRP cradle in the works for Ford passenger vehicles.

The Fusion lightweight concept is a good indication of materials and manufacturing considerations for other components.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Their easiest opportunity to loose weight is in the suspension, and cradles.

There is lots of talk about the use of composites in this new Halo stang and across Ford in general within the chassis. With confirmation of a CFRP cradle in the works for Ford passenger vehicles.

The Fusion lightweight concept is a good indication of materials and manufacturing considerations for other components.

More than likely won't be seen until the next generation.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I would agree for a CFRP Cradle.

I can see composite springs and increased use of aluminum within the control arms with this model.

With the largest components of the suspension already aluminum(RLCA, front and rear knuckles) there isn't much weight left to be lost there. Best bet would be the subframes but with the race teams including the GT4 Mustang still using the standard stamped steel subframes it seems unlikely to me Ford will change those much for an SE model.

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
With the largest components of the suspension already aluminum(RLCA, front and rear knuckles) there isn't much weight left to be lost there. Best bet would be the subframes but with the race teams including the GT4 Mustang still using the standard stamped steel subframes it seems unlikely to me Ford will change those much for an SE model.
Buzz kill!! Probably true though, so most likely this SE car is going to weigh about 4K.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Ill take a carbon fiber 650 HP 2800 lb mid engine beauty for 250k...
If only someone built it for 250k. I dont care whos name is on it, ill buy that!
Lol. Where is this 2800lb car you speak of? Ford dropped the ball on that and it came in over 400lbs heavier.

Nothing about fords are light.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Lol. Where is this 2800lb car you speak of? Ford dropped the ball on that and it came in over 400lbs heavier.

haha! Id take the extra 400 lbs, i read it was heavier than the proposed weight but didnt know 400. Thats a lot more :(
Hopefully the SE mustang comes in weighing a tad less than the zl1, that may be a feat.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
haha! Id take the extra 400 lbs, i read it was heavier than the proposed weight but didnt know 400. Thats a lot more :(
Hopefully the SE mustang comes in weighing a tad less than the camero.
It came in more because they decided the active aero was much more beneficial.
If they don't go with lightweight sub frames only an R version would weigh less. The standard version I highly doubt it.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Spec weight is 3054. Not sure how you got 3054-2800 = 400.

and 3054 lbs is still super light for a 650 hp mid engine car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Here's your leg work.

3054 DRY. Curb weight is 3250 range.

http://performance.ford.com/content...sts/Media Room/2017/01/2017_GT_Tech_Specs.pdf

Just to compare a 2006 Z06 with the LS7 was 3150 CURB weight.

GT is amazing but the weight disappointed.
I stand corrected. The 2017 Z06 is 35XX lbs, though. That's a little more apples to apples as the 'vette gained ~400 lbs in the last 11 years, other than the fact that the ZO6 is not going to have anywhere near the performance of a GT.

I will say that I blame the government for high vehicle weights.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I stand corrected. The 2017 Z06 is 35XX lbs, though. That's a little more apples to apples as the 'vette gained ~400 lbs in the last 11 years, other than the fact that the ZO6 is not going to have anywhere near the performance of a GT.

I will say that I blame the government for high vehicle weights.
If we want apples let's do this:

http://cars.mclaren.com/files/live/...n/Spec Doc's/720S Technical Specification.pdf

Over 230lbs lighter dry, with an 8 under the bonnet.

But I'll stop as I don't want to derail this thread any further. Ford although is awesome at drivetrains, chassis and lightening is not their forte.
Sponsored