Sponsored

Damn tire pump that came with the car was defective

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't know whether to bring this up with the dealership or with Ford.

My buddy is driving my GT PP, first time I've ever ridden passenger. He tells me that my tire pressure warning light came on and is telling me I have 24 PSI. We're in the middle of nowhere with no shoulders to pull off and one gas station coming up for a few minutes.

Pull into the station, the one air pump costs money. Ok fine, whatever, but this woman is parked across it and she is spending several dollars vacuuming her car for literally 30 minutes, wiping it down, etc.
Somebody asks her to move but she refuses. So I say fuck it, pull out the air compressor in the trunk and screw it onto the tire, plug the end into the AC outlet. I turn it on and somehow it's not going up in PSI. (I don't know WTF I am doing wrong, maybe it's something blatantly obvious to people here but I've filled tires with tiny AC compressors a lot of times in my day and this one was screwed on tight for sure).

After a few seconds or so, my buddy puts his hand down and says he feels air coming out of the hose from the compressor!

So now the car TPMS reads 10 PSI and the tire is FLAT. After trying to fill it with air, I lose another 15 PSI. I have no choice but to wait for this woman to basically detail her stupid daycare babysitting business minivan thing. Pull up to the coin operated air compressor at the gas station when she's done detailing her vehicle at a busy gas station, fill the tire and it's been holding air ever since without losing any.

So either I'm an idiot and doing something very stupid with the air compressor that came with my GT or the damn thing is defective and could've been a lot worse if there wasn't a gas station nearby.

Poor guy beside me in the Explorer though at the gas station, his hood is steaming and coolant is pouring out his front grill! Bad heater core? Smelled sweet.
Sponsored

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I had the same exact issue. I just pulled it out and threw it on a shelf in the garage.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Same issue. It's a piece of crap.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Air Compressor Problem

Glad I read your post because I am going to try mine tomorrow.
Guess I am ordering a spare tire for my Stang. :(

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
The first time I tried the air pump I had the same problem with air escaping from the valve while trying to fill the tires. You need to screw that thing on tight and it will work fine.

Sponsored

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
mine was not tight enough and the liquid was escaping outside. i have to tight it a lot to avoid this.

didn t you use the repair position ?

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The first time I tried the air pump I had the same problem with air escaping from the valve while trying to fill the tires. You need to screw that thing on tight and it will work fine.
I tried about everything possible. Still just blows air around the valve and tire loses pressure. I'd be better off with a $5 bicycle pump.

yellowragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 mustang conv
Walmart sells a small electric tire inflator that costs $20 or less. No matter what kind of car you have, it is always a good idea to have this "device" in your car. Sorry the factory unit you had was broken. You might also carry a can of fix-a-flat also just for emergencies. good luck

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Glad I read your post because I am going to try mine tomorrow.
Guess I am ordering a spare tire for my Stang. :(
I don't think the spare will work on the front of the PP equipped GT. Something about those big ass brakes....

I will be placing a tire plug kit with an nice aftermarket pump back there instead.

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
Greetings from Oz. I had the same issue and bought a mini compressor to replace the OEM part. I was later advised that there are attachments underneath the OEM unit that you fit onto the air hose before you attach it to the tire valve. I know the hose will screw onto the valve by itself but it leaks air. If you screw on the attachment and then attach to the valve then it will not leak. The instructions are a bit poor on the inflater kit.

Sponsored

Namda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue manual GT
I don't think the spare will work on the front of the PP equipped GT. Something about those big ass brakes....

I will be placing a tire plug kit with an nice aftermarket pump back there instead.
Normal space savers don't work due to the Big Ass Brembos. A company here in Australia is working with Levittown (I think) on a solution. They are in the final stage of the proto-typing phase right now :)

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I've had a Kobalt compressor in my car since I bought it and sold the factory unit for $90 on eBay ezpz

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I tried about everything possible. Still just blows air around the valve and tire loses pressure. I'd be better off with a $5 bicycle pump.
Just keep screwing until it stops blowing air out the valve, it requires a bit of force to get it on tight.

I tested it on my boat trailer tires until I figured it out. I know exactly what you are saying and I had the same problem.

mrjohnsmitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Just keep screwing until it stops blowing air out the valve, it requires a bit of force to get it on tight.
I tested it on my boat trailer tires until I figured it out. I know exactly what you are saying and I had the same problem.
Same issue. Thanks for the reply, this will be very helpful for our future vacation.
Sponsored