Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
That's is little to nothing to be gain from C.F. front fenders. The aluminum ones are extremely light.

There is talk about CFRP cradles which. That coupled with forged aluminum links would really help the mustang.

It's a pretty weight efficient car with how little light weight materials are used on it in comparison to the camaro.

That will help tip the weight scales back intonyhe mustang corner.

If they don't augment pick up point to the body, it could be a viable weight solution for the 15' and up cars.
Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
You are correct. You don't know. I don't either. You could be right as those other components do make a difference in how the GT350R functions. I still believe that super light wheels have much less inertia and road feel/handling will be significantly improved.

Everyone who has reviewed the GT350 and GT350R has said that the GT350 is great, but don't drive the R first or you will want it.

The Mustang is a unibody car. There's no frame to replace with CF.

CF is not better at handling heat than aluminum. That's why there is a ceramic coating inside the front CF rims on the R to shield the CF rim from the brake heat. The regular aluminum GT350 rims don't need that shield. To be super detailed about it, the actual carbon fibers can handle heat, but the epoxy component in the carbon fiber rims doesn't handle heat nearly as well.
Good info on the CF epoxy not being able to handle, I didn't realize that. To me it looks like it is a unibody car but assembled in a lot of areas where they can replace some of it with CF. what about going to an aluminum unibody, probably is it too late in the S550 production for that though.
As far as the 350R being a better experience that doesn't surprise me at all it's not the wheels that do that though. Its the whole car, it looks more aggressive, has more aggressive suspension, and it has a more aggressive louder exhaust which most people are going to make a much more emotional connection to.
Your right the wheels do increase feel but there is a very marginal performance gain.
Also, you said that they can fix scratches on CF? Are you just talking like our light scratch? I've always heard once the CF gets damage it's done because it's too difficult to repair.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Also, you said that they can fix scratches on CF? Are you just talking like our light scratch? I've always heard once the CF gets damage it's done because it's too difficult to repair.
Since the CF rims on the GT350R are painted, scratches can be sanded, filled and repainted.

Yes, I'm not talking about fixing a broken wheel. Just light scratches from normal usage that age the appearance of the wheel.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Good info on the CF epoxy not being able to handle, I didn't realize that. To me it looks like it is a unibody car but assembled in a lot of areas where they can replace some of it with CF. what about going to an aluminum unibody, probably is it too late in the S550 production for that though.
As far as the 350R being a better experience that doesn't surprise me at all it's not the wheels that do that though. Its the whole car, it looks more aggressive, has more aggressive suspension, and it has a more aggressive louder exhaust which most people are going to make a much more emotional connection to.
Your right the wheels do increase feel but there is a very marginal performance gain.
Rotating mass reduction, especially of the magnitude of the R's wheels, is a very significant performance gain and handling improvement. It will change direction faster, accelerate faster, brake faster and will have better control of the body of the car because it has less unsprung mass to deal with. The dampers can be retuned specifically for the reduced unsprung mass. You're definitely understating the improvements light wheels can provide.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Rotating mass reduction, especially of the magnitude of the R's wheels, is a very significant performance gain and handling improvement. It will change direction faster, accelerate faster, brake faster and will have better control of the body of the car because it has less unsprung mass to deal with. The dampers can be retuned specifically for the reduced unsprung mass. You're definitely understating the improvements light wheels can provide.
I guess I'm undervaluing the gain, I know it helps turn faster and helps improve handling. But I'm pretty sure if you put SC2 tires on a 350 it would have identical 0-60, 1/4 times even with the additional weight. I'd love to see a 350R test with CF and without but same tire. I just find it odd that it's such a "massive" benefit but high performance cars and exotics aren't using them.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
On the track it would be a better rim for sure. Your not gonna see a ton of gain going down strip
Im guessing the KR or race version will come wirh the Carbon rims. Perhaps maybe the regular version and/or drag pack car may not. The difference from the carbons going down the strip is probably - .05 or .1 Still, better than nothing but for track duty....lap after lap of 1 second gain from carbons can really be noticed.

I love the look of the carbons, they feel light and the feed back from the road is incredible.

You ever fish with a fiberglass pole? No sensitivity.... put a carbon pole in your hands.. feel that sensitivty. Now, some of the other steering components soak up some of that feel but there is still a lot left.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
On the track it would be a better rim for sure. Your not gonna see a ton of gain going down strip
Im guessing the KR or race version will come wirh the Carbon rims. Perhaps maybe the regular version and/or drag pack car may not. The difference from the carbons going down the strip is probably - .05 or .1 Still, better than nothing but for track duty....lap after lap of 1 second gain from carbons can really be noticed.

I love the look of the carbons, they feel light and the feed back from the road is incredible.
You guys are probably right it makes sense on a track car such as the 350R or a special edition race oriented car.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Im guessing that the standard version wont have the carbon rims.
Hoping there are a few packages to choose from.

GT500-

Base Coup 755 HP(with or without electronics)
Convertable 755 HP (with or without electronics)
Track pack (carbon bits rims and wing - no back seat) 755 HP
Drag pack 755HP (carbon bits no back seat ) key to unlock 808 hp.
All with variable exhaust...
pack cars have resinator delete.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
That's is little to nothing to be gain from C.F. front fenders. The aluminum ones are extremely light.

There is talk about CFRP cradles which. That coupled with forged aluminum links would really help the mustang.

It's a pretty weight efficient car with how little light weight materials are used on it in comparison to the camaro.

That will help tip the weight scales back intonyhe mustang corner.

If they don't augment pick up point to the body, it could be a viable weight solution for the 15' and up cars.

Yep..

Take a look at how much of the Mustang, even the GT350's, substructure, suspension components and such is made out of heavy cast components and such.

Now take a look at the Camaro and how much aluminum and "composite polymers" are used.

You'll see the Mustang still has quite a bit of area to trim some heft..of course..at a price.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
GT500-
I like where you're going with this Jim!!!!
:thumbsup:

Sponsored

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt

GT500-

GT500 825hp,and the KR,875hp.:lol:
:ford::cheers:

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Then how do carbon brakes hold up to the heat? :confused:

Carbon wheels is still a new technology. I think Carbon Revolution figured out the epoxy issue with the 350R since they don't use that ceramic heat shield on the wheels of the new Ford GT.

I guess I'm undervaluing the gain, I know it helps turn faster and helps improve handling. But I'm pretty sure if you put SC2 tires on a 350 it would have identical 0-60, 1/4 times even with the additional weight. I'd love to see a 350R test with CF and without but same tire. I just find it odd that it's such a "massive" benefit but high performance cars and exotics aren't using them.
You are severely under valuing the gain. Again, it's a new technology and they haven't got to the point where they can mass produced them at a much lower cost. The GT350R was the first production car to use CF wheels only last year and they can't make the wheels fast enough for the demand. The new Ford GT utilizes them as well and I'm sure you'll see more cars using cf wheels as they become cheaper and quicker to produce..

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Was reading the book that the dealer sent me.
Read it...
It lays the ground work for a story that will play out for years to come!

Its gonna be a good car fellas!
I think we are in for something really special! I really feel like our patience is going to pay off with a true beast of a ride!!! Remember good things come to those who wait! I bet the next several months will get exciting!

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Then how do carbon brakes hold up to the heat? :confused:

Carbon wheels is still a new technology. I think Carbon Revolution figured out the epoxy issue with the 350R since they don't use that ceramic heat shield on the wheels of the new Ford GT.

You are severely under valuing the gain. Again, it's a new technology and they haven't got to the point where they can mass produced them at a much lower cost. The GT350R was the first production car to use CF wheels only last year and they can't make the wheels fast enough for the demand. The new Ford GT utilizes them as well and I'm sure you'll see more cars using cf wheels as they become cheaper and quicker to produce..
Well I'm not the one that said carbon fiber doesn't handle heat. But carbon fiber and carbon ceramic are two totally different things.

My point about the CF wheels, we're not building a purpose built race car, building a production car. How many guys are actually tracking these cars, maybe 15-20% and of that how many are actually using the carbon fiber wheels for their intended purpose? I know 2 guys with them, both only put the CF wheels on for car shows. I think it's a perfect stand alone option at a reduced price if ordered with the car for the guys that want/use them. But otherwise I think that cost being built into the car would be more useful in other areas, like overall weight loss.
Sponsored