Sponsored

On the fence about MGW

Bert03GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I bit the bullet and ordered the MGW with the flat stick along with some jacking rails and some 25mm spacers. Cant wait to get it all on.
Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
mess around with someones MGW if you can find someone local, youll see why. If anyones ever worked on guns and put a really good trigger in a gun, feels the same way for the MGW in a stang

ChristianDev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT MT
Also interested.. any idea how much a shop would charge for the install I don't have the equipment to to it myself

OP
OP
Desta

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
Well I just got my MGW in the mail. I ordered a flat stick race spec but they sent me a flat stick x-spec. Not too thrilled. Gonna call them tomorrow and see what the deal is.

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
Well I just got my MGW in the mail. I ordered a flat stick race spec but they sent me a flat stick x-spec. Not too thrilled. Gonna call them tomorrow and see what the deal is.

Due to the height of the flat stick ALL of them are mated with the x-spec base so that you get the comparable throw of the regular one like you asked for. This is by design not by mistake.

George Ciamillo
( owner MGW)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Desta

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
Due to the height of the flat stick ALL of them are mated with the x-spec base so that you get the comparable throw of the regular one like you asked for. This is by design not by mistake.

George Ciamillo
( owner MGW)
Ah ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I did end up installing​ it last night and it feels great. Install took about 2 hours if you include the test drive. Definitely a night and day difference! The hype is real.

My only concern is that I could have sworn I read somewhere on this forum that the x-spec was harder on your transmission than the race spec. I daily the car so if that is the case, I wish I would have known that the flat stick shipped with the x-spec before ordering :shrug:

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
Ah ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I did end up installing​ it last night and it feels great. Install took about 2 hours if you include the test drive. Definitely a night and day difference! The hype is real.

My only concern is that I could have sworn I read somewhere on this forum that the x-spec was harder on your transmission than the race spec. I daily the car so if that is the case, I wish I would have known that the flat stick shipped with the x-spec before ordering :shrug:

You have to understand the physics of the shifter and arc throw...

two things will affect the distance of the throw....the pivot position and the height of the knob. So if you do NOT move the pivot but simply lower the knob height you can still shorten the throw. ( Boomba does this )

You can also move the fulcrum up to shorten the throw and thirdly you can do a combination of fulcrum positioning AND knob height.

The X-spec with standard and low profile handles will be a SHORTER throw than the regular race spec but when you put the flat stick on an X-Spec , you raise the height of the knob up above the standard level for cosmetic reasons , therefor, the throw actually gets INCREASED closer to the regular race spec.

So basically you are NOT putting anymore stress on the trans than with the standard race spec.

George

OP
OP
Desta

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
You have to understand the physics of the shifter and arc throw...

two things will affect the distance of the throw....the pivot position and the height of the knob. So if you do NOT move the pivot but simply lower the knob height you can still shorten the throw. ( Boomba does this )

You can also move the fulcrum up to shorten the throw and thirdly you can do a combination of fulcrum positioning AND knob height.

The X-spec with standard and low profile handles will be a SHORTER throw than the regular race spec but when you put the flat stick on an X-Spec , you raise the height of the knob up above the standard level for cosmetic reasons , therefor, the throw actually gets INCREASED closer to the regular race spec.

So basically you are NOT putting anymore stress on the trans than with the standard race spec.

George
Ah, thanks for clarifying that George. Well, despite the confusion, I love the shifter so far! Good work!

I highly recommend that people do the install themselves, there really is nothing to it. Probably the easiest thing I've ever installed on a car, no joke. Maybe it's because I've previously only worked on diesel trucks where NOTHING is easy :shrug:

If you have the tools shown in the video (all 4 of them) and you follow the steps, it shouldn't take you more than 2 hours. Hardest part was putting the boot on. And even that took less than 5 minutes (and a few drops of blood, I'll admit). I've never had any install go as smoothly as the shifter went in.

If you are capable of changing your own oil, you can definitely install the shifter.

Thanks again George!

Reactions: MGW

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
Buy it! and then if it isn't meeting your needs sell at a small loss on the forum...

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Ive had MGw in the past and have tried many short shifters over the last 20 years. I too dd My 15 GT pp and I feel the Stock shifter is actually pretty good. I have no doubt the MGW will make it feel much better.. and I really want to just drive down the street in a car with it before I decide but what stops me is the price. The MGw is $500 plus and ive seen 6060 Trans for under 2k. Makes it hard to justify for me because I would rather put in a better trans than spend that much putting a wicked shifter on a turdbox. EVen so I shift mine hard when warm and it goes in all gears just fine. little notchier when cold.

Sponsored

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Just get it. Like mentioned above you can sell it if you upgrade your Trans. This should be a mandatory mod for every stick shift mustang. I have never heard anyone regret a MGW shifter. Think about how often you interact with the shifter. We bought manuals even though they are slower than autos because we enjoy interaction between man and car. Making that feel as good as possible should be high on the mod list.

shawn3210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 PP Triple yellow
I just had mine installed. Worth every penny. No sloppiness at all. Those who are scared about accidentally putting it into reverse.....it takes a lot to get it into reverse lol. I doubt anyone would be able to do it on accident.

mustangcobra93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The only reason I'm holding out is because I don't want any excuses to deny a warranty claim. I'm only at 2,500 miles so I have a while to go. I do have the BG fluid kit ready to put in though when I get time.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The only reason I'm holding out is because I don't want any excuses to deny a warranty claim. I'm only at 2,500 miles so I have a while to go. I do have the BG fluid kit ready to put in though when I get time.
There is nothing about the MGW that would exacerbate wear or damage anything in the transmission. If anything it's better for that, being trans mounted vs. body mounted, providing a consistent and properly-constrained linkage to the transmission. Don't let that be what discourages you.

RidetechJosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 LX Mustang, 2003 Mach 1
I haven't drove one of the new cars with their shifter in it but I've had them in three of my other Mustangs and they were great. Hands down, shifter I've ever used.
Sponsored