Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mule? Front Gills/Louvers

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
That article is too far fetched. The truth is somewhere in the middle of a gt350 and that.

Titanium roof, possibly. Carbon cradle, carbon rad support, wheels, spoiler.

It won't be 3500 lbs that's lunacy. I wish though.
No way would they do a titanium roof. The cost of titanium is orders of magnitude more than carbon fiber.
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
No way would they do a titanium roof. The cost of titanium is orders of magnitude more than carbon fiber.
Carbon is the smart choice although it would have to be seam glued and might not meet crash and roll over I think.

Titanium doesn't weld easily to steel, but it does.

Aluminum could be riveted and glued.

I would have shot for magnesium personally.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
All of this talk of the next GT500 being high-hp but still needing to meet CAFE standards in some ways made me thing of something... What if Ford uses the next GT500 to preview its hybrid technology that we know is coming in a standard model for the next generation.

Having a halo car showcase the technology beforehand and what is possible with it would be very smart and you could kill two birds with one stone: power and economy.

I know that Ford has mentioned how they have learned a lot about carbon fiber in a production car with the new Ford GT and how that will trickle down, so maybe the next GT500 will have a hybrid drive-train. Even if it is something simple such as contained in the transmission (a specially equipped 10 speed auto) or something else.

Just a thought.
Hopefully Trump cuts CAFE back enough that there's no problem for many years.

Personally - as a buyer I'm not interested in a hybrid no matter how fast it is. Same with electric. No thanks. I realize there probably are some who don't care, but hybrid technology is intellectually offensive to me.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
This dude is even more stoked than i am. Obviously this isnt probable but it would be awesome if ford threw down the gauntlet.

That channel posts up more garbage than HPKings.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I hope it doesn't even come in 4 years with hybrid tech. Give me a couple more gas guzzlers and then throw me the new tech. This way I can have the cars I really want for long term keepers and then sit back and enjoy. Not saying I won't try the hybrid but I'm almost certain it won't be my keeper car.
Amen Jim, Amen!!! :thumbsup:

Sponsored

supersnake94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SE
Guys, guys! It was just a theory and answering a question. I was not saying Ford is going to do this. No need to start a heated debate about it. :lol:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Haha! Anything to debate is good.. Better than listening to the crickets
Yeah the guy on YouTube is over the top.
I wouldn't say there is no way possible. But 2.6 - 0-60. Lots of carbon fiber... titanium roof. 100k+ no.
As much as I'd like ford to charge to put the good stuff into the vehicle, they are gonna charge similar to the zl1. 70k and it'll probably have a supercharged and nothing special in it. Auto. Possibly carbon rims or enough to keep it under 4,000 lbs. Guys, I feel it will be a fast car it it just not gonna reach out and grab me. Could be wrong but don't think so.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Carbon is the smart choice although it would have to be seam glued and might not meet crash and roll over I think.

Titanium doesn't weld easily to steel, but it does.

Aluminum could be riveted and glued.

I would have shot for magnesium personally.
Now with carbon and others they use epoxies that are believe or not stronger then some welds.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Haha! Anything to debate is good.. Better than listening to the crickets
Yeah the guy on YouTube is over the top.
I wouldn't say there is no way possible. But 2.6 - 0-60. Lots of carbon fiber... titanium roof. 100k+ no.
As much as I'd like ford to charge to put the good stuff into the vehicle, they are gonna charge similar to the zl1. 70k and it'll probably have a supercharged and nothing special in it. Auto. Possibly carbon rims or enough to keep it under 4,000 lbs. Guys, I feel it will be a fast car it it just not gonna reach out and grab me. Could be wrong but don't think so.
This is why I think there might be or at least I believe there is a market for a very good 70K car and an over the top one of kind 85-90k car.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
In the GT350 on the radiator support it is carbon composite.
Don't know exactly what's in it but I'm sure its strong, and light and is actually blow molded vs the tedious/time consuming hand laying of carbon fiber fiber. Maybe this could be used for other parts of the vehicle

Yeah, would love to see what ford could do with a higher range mustang. The GT4 is cool and all, but put it in a street legal package with more HP. That would be something I'd like to see.
With every month we get closer to the time of actually knowing what it's gonna be.
Was thinking back in '15 we would have had a '16 GT500. Here we are in 17 hoping for a 19. Unreal.....

Sponsored

hated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 gt500
Just wait till 19 comes and your hoping for something in 20, and doesn't come till 22 and it is a 2.7 liter hybrid.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
In the GT350 on the radiator support it is carbon composite.
Don't know exactly what's in it but I'm sure its strong, and light and is actually blow molded vs the tedious/time consuming hand laying of carbon fiber fiber. Maybe this could be used for other parts of the vehicle

Yeah, would love to see what ford could do with a higher range mustang. The GT4 is cool and all, but put it in a street legal package with more HP. That would be something I'd like to see.
With every month we get closer to the time of actually knowing what it's gonna be.
Was thinking back in '15 we would have had a '16 GT500. Here we are in 17 hoping for a 19. Unreal.....
*Injection molded

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Just wait till 19 comes and your hoping for something in 20, and doesn't come till 22 and it is a 2.7 liter hybrid.
The sky is falling!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
If it doesn't come I'll buy something else. No worries
Sponsored