Sponsored

2015+ mustang GT Convertible - rear subframe brace?

Does your 2015+ Mustang Convertible have a OEM rear subframe brace?

• Yes

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mixedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Does your's have an OME one? If not, can you let me know your year, and option package? I've been told not all 2015 and up convertible have the factory rear subframe brace.
Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Not sure I'd know it if I saw it. Any pics?

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
Look under your car from the rear if you have what looks like a y going from the rear of the car to both sides of the car you have the brace the brace also covers your exhaust system so you would not be able to remove the exhast system with out removing the brace

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
They all have it from the factory. The only way I could see it being removed is if someone was lazy with aftermarket exhaust.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
They all have it from the factory. The only way I could see it being removed is if someone was lazy with aftermarket exhaust.
Exactly. All convertible GTs (maybe all model variants) have the rear subframe brace - MY16+ with the Perf Package (N/A for MY15) have additional bracing (that could be the confusion).

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mixedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Convertible brace

Exactly. All convertible GTs (maybe all model variants) have the rear subframe brace - MY16+ with the Perf Package (N/A for MY15) have additional bracing (that could be the confusion).
That is what I though too, however my "Performance Shop" who I have used for many mod's on my car, told me that some models of the 2015+ Mustang Convertibles do NOT have the brace .... thus I thought I would reach out to everyone and ask what they have.

I think this weekend, I'll go to a dealer and look at GT's and other model 'Verts to see if I can find any "unbraced."

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
The coupe and convertible while similar are a different chassis. The rear support is on all verts V6-V8 from the factory. The removable 2 piece bolted black brace is a structural component of the car that ties into the rear rocker section, and rear subframe/chassis area to the unique to a vert spot welded brace under the spare tire well. The coupes have the roof as part of the cars structure the verts have the brace in its place with some other reinforcements.

My guess one day there will be a video where someone removes it and we will get to see what part of the body bends or creases after hard use and how the doors line up.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
That is what I though too, however my "Performance Shop" who I have used for many mod's on my car, told me that some models of the 2015+ Mustang Convertibles do NOT have the brace .... thus I thought I would reach out to everyone and ask what they have.

I think this weekend, I'll go to a dealer and look at GT's and other model 'Verts to see if I can find any "unbraced."
I suppose it's _possible_ there's some weird early production anomalies.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask? It looks like you have a MY16, and I'm assuming you've confirmed you have the brace.

Kcode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robb
Vehicle(s)
TY EcoBoost Prem Vert Auto PerfPkg Nav
2015 Ecoboost PP Vert had full rear brace installed.

OP
OP

Mixedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Convertible Subframe brace update

Just to bring closure to the thread - As said before, my Shop that has done a bunch of mod's for me, told me I didn't need my subframe brace - AFTER they chopped it up putting in and aftermarket full exhaust system.

I thought they were crazy, but hey they work on mustangs all the time and he said it so convincingly.

So I turned to you all for clarification and as I thought many of you helped me out to know the truth - ALL 15+ CONVERTIBLES DO HAVE A FACTORY SUB FRAME BRACE under the car.

A new brace is over $500 from ford, so I found another shop to make a chrome moly brace to replace the chopped up area's of the original brace.

Thanks again all for sharing your knowledge.

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Here's what The Brace Looks Like

see picture. I just undercoated mine.

CVCashmere
Subframe Compressed Undercoat.jpg

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Just to bring closure to the thread - As said before, my Shop that has done a bunch of mod's for me, told me I didn't need my subframe brace - AFTER they chopped it up putting in and aftermarket full exhaust system.

I thought they were crazy, but hey they work on mustangs all the time and he said it so convincingly.

So I turned to you all for clarification and as I thought many of you helped me out to know the truth - ALL 15+ CONVERTIBLES DO HAVE A FACTORY SUB FRAME BRACE under the car.

A new brace is over $500 from ford, so I found another shop to make a chrome moly brace to replace the chopped up area's of the original brace.

Thanks again all for sharing your knowledge.
I would definitely have a conversation with them about chopping up your car's bracing without your consent and they should help you pay for a new one. Ford does not just waste money putting bracing on a car if it does not serve a purpose, and you should have the ability to make that decision not them.

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
I would definitely have a conversation with them about chopping up your car's bracing without your consent and they should help you pay for a new one. Ford does not just waste money putting bracing on a car if it does not serve a purpose, and you should have the ability to make that decision not them.
Agreed. A year or two from now when your doors no longer open or close properly you'll miss the additional structural reinforcement. Sooner if you indulge in "performance" driving that stresses the chassis.

OP
OP

Mixedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Agreed. A year or two from now when your doors no longer open or close properly you'll miss the additional structural reinforcement. Sooner if you indulge in "performance" driving that stresses the chassis.
I have replace the brace - not to worry, and will not be going back to the shop.

End of thread

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I just ran into this question and got it answered in the suspension section. It's interesting because I've received some IRS parts and springs that "fit 2018 Convertibles" but no mention in any of the instructions or online videos about removing/reinstalling the brace. Raising this thread from the dead for awareness.
Sponsored