Sponsored

How to tell if I have TPMS

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
So I bought a set of wheels off eBay they were already mounted and balanced. They said TPMS was not included so I was going to buy some new sensors off eBay or something and have them installed. I've had the wheels for a few days now and my TPMS light hasn't come on. When I go to the tire pressure monitor screen it is listing the pressure for all 4 tires.

Is there a way to tell if they have the sensors?
Sponsored

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
Everywhere I've read you need to teach the car when you change the sensors ,with that in mind how many miles have you driven I don't believe the computer is constantly checking the tire pressure. for me that would be a great scenario as I check mine every 2 weeks and I won't need to buy sensors.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I would think by now your car would have complained about no sensors. I know when I had my '12 SHO and put on my winter tires (no sensors) I would get the "No TPMS" warning before I got to work the next day - 25mi or so.

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Everywhere I've read you need to teach the car when you change the sensors ,with that in mind how many miles have you driven I don't believe the computer is constantly checking the tire pressure. for me that would be a great scenario as I check mine every 2 weeks and I won't need to buy sensors.
With the S550 and Ford sensors you do not need to train them.

Also - my tire pressure is refreshed multiple times on my trips to and from work (10-15 min)

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
My tired pressures readjust within 15 minutes of me changing the wheels and I have had 3 sets on my car and switch between sets every couple of months so if the sensors are there its quick. I have no idea what happens if they are not. Try adding more air to the tires and see if the pressures go up on the screen.

Sponsored

bandit67

Mustang Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2007 SPJ 302, 2019 Ranger
I doubt Ford has changed it in the S550 - on the S197, it takes 2-3 miles of rotations to calculate it after you swap.

On the earlier S197, the tpms warning light will come on if there's no tpms, then eventually it will shut off, but the warning light apparently will stay on all the time if you mount a set without tpms on the S550. Safe to say your new set does have tpms.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
as said, you would have gotten a dash light by now, when I recently changed wheels, with the initial test drive on the new wheels, my dash display for tire psi showed this symbol at each corner - a few miles later the pressures were reading. a physical way to check, is grasp the valve stem, and LIGHTLY move the valve stem side to side, you will feel the sensor physically touching the wheel inside, again, do this lightly, but I dont think its necessary in your case

OP
OP

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
My tired pressures readjust within 15 minutes of me changing the wheels and I have had 3 sets on my car and switch between sets every couple of months so if the sensors are there its quick. I have no idea what happens if they are not. Try adding more air to the tires and see if the pressures go up on the screen.
Thanks for the tip. I'll go I'd try that out. I would think that while it was learning the sensors the light would come on the first time while driving around but it never came on. I don't daily drive my mustang but I did take out a few times over the weekend.

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
I agree. Seems that way but adding the air should see if its reading a sensor

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Mustang will complain after about 20 miles without TPMS sensors. If it hasn't yet... the must be in there or your car is pretending they are, haha.
Sponsored