Sponsored

HOW TO: Add MyFord Touch/Sync 3 to base model S550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
MFT uses the GPSM vis MS CAN
Sync 3 connects to an antenna inside of the roof mounted antenna module that is split inside of the console to the ACM and APIM
Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
MFT uses the GPSM vis MS CAN
Sync 3 connects to an antenna inside of the roof mounted antenna module that is split inside of the console to the ACM and APIM
Or, in a swap to an antenna you mount under the center panel of your dash. No exterior antenna necessary.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Correct, I was just explaining to him why it needs to be changed. When I was digging for the USB that we were discussing I found that ACM APIM external antenna harness that I kept seeing in the schematics but never the location of.
I have someone adding a convertible antenna and couldn't find it.

ghostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2017 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
My bad, I thought you had a base that needed re-pinned.
For the USB hub you need a Tyco connector and some pins. I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Ford sells the WPT-1239 kit but its a rip off.
Do the 2017's with 4" screen need to be re-pinned like the 2015's? Also, is re-pinning required when replacing the 4" screen with a SNYC3 bezel with climate control and track mode switch?

mgrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Convertible - V6
Finished my install tonight

Finally finished my install tonight, with the help of so many people on here...

It all started by reading Zack's post and great documentation that enabled me to have SYNC on a base car.

Special thanks to DanMc85 and Hextall for helping me iron out a few bumps in the road.

All the contributors in the DIY / Modifying As-Built Data Guide thread that really made it so easy to get things customized just right.
Complete Install_resized.jpg

Sponsored

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
I am currently running MFT using a full replacement 3d printed bezel and all of the stock 4" electronics for the climate controls. Is it possible to swap the sync 3 screen into this? Every sync 3 swap I have seen uses the factory bezel with toggle switches.

attachment.jpg

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I am currently running MFT using a full replacement 3d printed bezel and all of the stock 4" electronics for the climate controls. Is it possible to swap the sync 3 screen into this? Every sync 3 swap I have seen uses the factory bezel with toggle switches.

attachment.jpg
I can't imagine why not, I think you'll need the fakra GPS antenna though.

ghostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2017 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Finally finished my install tonight, with the help of so many people on here...

It all started by reading Zack's post and great documentation that enabled me to have SYNC on a base car.

Special thanks to DanMc85 and Hextall for helping me iron out a few bumps in the road.

All the contributors in the DIY / Modifying As-Built Data Guide thread that really made it so easy to get things customized just right.
Is your install a MFT or SYNC 3?

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Do the 2017's with 4" screen need to be re-pinned like the 2015's? Also, is re-pinning required when replacing the 4" screen with a SNYC3 bezel with climate control and track mode switch?
No matter what you'll have to add a few pins, and move a few, it's easy. Sync 3 is easier, performs better and the prices have come down on APIM/Touchscreens.
No wires to the bezel are involved.

ghostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2017 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
No matter what you'll have to add a few pins, and move a few, it's easy. Sync 3 is easier, performs better and the prices have come down on APIM/Touchscreens.
No wires to the bezel are involved.
Thanks for the help! I have been searching for a Sync 3 unit, but all I seem to find are MFT units.

Sponsored
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr

attachment.jpg
The Sync 3 screen should disassemble just like the MFT screen. That should be the only concern since sync 3 should behave just like MFT without the premium bezel.

sv9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Prem
If anyone wants help sourcing APIM and Touchscreens or ACM I have Car-Part Pro which has better pricing and for whatever reason displays more results than regular Car-Part. I'm seeing SAT ACM's for $75-150 and APIM's from $250-450 (Sync 3).

Does that price for the APIM include the touchscreen? I bought an APIM+screen I thought had Nav, but after installation I'm not seeing the Nav icon. Not sure what a fair price would be for this.

sv9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Prem
Ah..shame. $450 is what I paid for mine, B condition. $250 is insanely cheap. I'm guessing it's a perk of Car-Part Pro?

If you had a free minute, I would certainly appreciate if you could help me source a more wallet-friendly APIM.

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
I just received a used SYNC3 APIM/Touchscreen, but I am not sure if it is with or without Nav since I got it from salvage store. What I know is it's from 16 EB Mustang. Is there any way to check the unit if it has Nav or not prior to installation?
Sponsored