Sponsored

Raj Nair discusses Hybrid Mustang at 2017 NAIAS

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Ecoboosts produce peak torque at 2000ish rpm, so i dont see why an Ecoboost V6 would need low end torque help. Seems like the V8 would be the better pairing, but maybe that means the motor and turbos will be sized to make peak torque later and make more power.
Sponsored

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Ecoboosts produce peak torque at 2000ish rpm, so i dont see why an Ecoboost V6 would need low end torque help. Seems like the V8 would be the better pairing, but maybe that means the motor and turbos will be sized to make peak torque later and make more power.
I believe the low end torque is mentioned as a selling point. All electric motors provide high low end torque instantly.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I believe the low end torque is mentioned as a selling point. All electric motors provide high low end torque instantly.
100% of torque available at 0 rpm. When integrated right, this allows a huge variable control to be had when launching a vehicle. You would be able to get killer 60 foot times both on the streeet and strip.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
No way its going to be cheap. It will be the top option. V8 in the middle, Current EB or v6 EB at the bottom.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Sheesh...twin turbo, electric motors and a battery pack of some yet to be determined size. This thing is going to be expensive, complex and heavy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm psyched that the Blue Oval is pushing the technology and trying new things but as someone who likes their cars to be as "pure" (simple) as possible, the hybrid isn't on my potential dream car list. I really don't care how quick it is.

Sponsored

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
I doubt the Mustang will be available with three engines. The V8 is going anywhere. Ford knows the demand for it. My guess is EB4cyl and Hybrid 4.0V8. Putting the Hybrid higher than the GT would make the thing expensive.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
. . . as someone who likes their cars to be as simple as possible, the hybrid isn't on my potential dream car list. I really don't care how quick it is.
This ↑↑↑ . And I'm more than fine with pushing the technology on the more mainstream segments of the market.

I'd buy a 4.0 V8 over a 4.0 hybrid every time.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Because in order to get good low-end torque like that, you have to spec turbochargers that are smaller inertia/size that have their peak efficiency much lower in the RPM range. As a result, they cannot continue to make boost efficiently above ~5500 rpm. The idea with the electric motor hybrid would be to go to a larger compressor to keep an engine that can rev high (fun), without sacrificing the low-end torque overall.

Red2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No thanks Raj. I'll keep the GT I got.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Because in order to get good low-end torque like that, you have to spec turbochargers that are smaller inertia/size that have their peak efficiency much lower in the RPM range. As a result, they cannot continue to make boost efficiently above ~5500 rpm. The idea with the electric motor hybrid would be to go to a larger compressor to keep an engine that can rev high (fun), without sacrificing the low-end torque overall.
I think you nailed it on this one.
The combo of big turbos and electric motors has massive potential as one can compensate for the shortcomings of the other.

That said, with the Tesla P100D now supposedly able to do 0-60 in 2.4 eyeball-flattening seconds (with the latest software), all of this will seem pretty silly as the all-electrics become cheaper. Even then, they'll have to pull the keys for my V8 Dinosaurs out of my cold dead hands. :D

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My reservation on this is not on performance, as it'll be easily faster than a full bolt-on GT currently, but with driving dynamics and sound. No matter what they do, it'll never have the symphonic characteristics of a NA V8. Fortunately, that'll still be available at the same time :)

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I agree that a high performance hybrid (utilizing Ecoboost technology) Mustang will surely be quicker and faster than any present or future S550 generation Mustang GT.
With V8 levels of torque immediately available, what is the business case for keeping the V8 around, be it 5.0L, 5.2L or 4.0L?
I do not know Ford's product development/powertrain application strategies, nor do I personally know Mr Fields or Mr Nair or what either man thinks and believes regarding the future of the Mustang.
However, they both appear to possess the desire to advance and lead the industry in the application of green, future-think technologies including power trains and mobility.
And that's all well and good.
IMHO...I just don't think their collective vision includes an extended future for the V8 engine in a Mustang or F150.
I'm surprised the new Ford GT wasn't a hybrid.

Last edited:

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Key phrases from Raj Nair:

"V8 like performance" and "electric motors make instant torque, so couple that with an Ecoboost type engine, and you have a great combination"

My take is ... no more V8 with the hybrid S650.

Could be they might still offer a non-hybrid V8, but maybe not if they want to move the whole Mustang line in the direction of hybrid technology.
Don't see how you get V-8 and hybrid to fit, let alone weight.
Screw a hybrid, just give me an electric turbo for low end.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
As I said, hopefully they size the turbos for more high end power.
Sponsored