Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
V8 will replace the V6 and eventually be phased out just like the V6 was. Not just Ford but a lot of people and those who aren't planning to step up on the hybrid/EV game will be too late. Regulations will only continue to get worse for manufactures. Keeping big V8 engines with poor economy figures will not get them there.

Wasn't 2025 the deadline for everyone to have an average of 54.5mpg...

Like it or not, they are going to go away. I am more opened minded to technology. There was always a time where we go "OMG WHY WOULD I WANT THAT" which ends up becoming "OMG, HOW DID I SURVIVE WITHOUT THIS". I will gladly take performance & tech over a sound that comes out the rear of the car.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I think you couldn't be further from the truth...
Look at all of the special edition models that have come out over the last 5 years? Ford has been a leader in this area and I think they will continue to be.
Agreed.

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
I suspect that after GT350 has completed it's production run...and if there is another GT500, Mach 1, Cobra or Boss something produced...there will not be anymore special-edition models.
Ford is turning itself into a "mobility company" and no is longer interested in celebrating the relics of it's old, gas-fueled, rubber-burning, CO-spewing history.
Mustang will be turned into a "mobility platform"...and soon enough, it will be driving itself.
"Sounds" like a blast.
i hate to admit it...but it's the reality of the world we are in. Autonomous vehicles are not going to go away. Fuel and emissions regulations are also not going away. You simply look at the F150...Ford's bread and butter...to see.

Ford handicapped the coyote to push the TTV6. They are eliminating the V6 in the next Mustang and going 4banger/V8. The market has shown that Mustang buyers will opt for a 4-banger. If Ford can present an offering that has similar level performance to the traditional V8 in a more regulation-friendly package they will. They will even sandbag the V8 to get them there. If the next generation is interested in cars that drive themselves, Ford will be in that space too. There is nothing to sacred, nothing that is off limits.

I need to buy my 5.0 while there is still a 5.0 to be had.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
A friend of mine who heard I was looking at purchasing a mustang kept trying to get me to look at the Tesla.. he sent me all the information: mileage improvements, cost of ownership, how quiet it was etc. etc..that's all great for a daily utility commuter to get from point a to point b. but what he didn't realize is that is not why I purchased a mustang....It's experiencing the sounds of a NAS V8 (not the stupid sound tube either)...the feel, acceleration, the sound......My first Mod this spring is going to be a Borla Exhaust.....I'm 51 and just bought my V8...it will last me another 10 years and there will be plenty of used one's on the market as well... I'm going to enjoy the V8 rumble for as long as I can!

Last edited:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
i hate to admit it...but it's the reality of the world we are in. Autonomous vehicles are not going to go away. Fuel and emissions regulations are also not going away. You simply look at the F150...Ford's bread and butter...to see.

Ford handicapped the coyote to push the TTV6. They are eliminating the V6 in the next Mustang and going 4banger/V8. The market has shown that Mustang buyers will opt for a 4-banger. If Ford can present an offering that has similar level performance to the traditional V8 in a more regulation-friendly package they will. They will even sandbag the V8 to get them there. If the next generation is interested in cars that drive themselves, Ford will be in that space too. There is nothing to sacred, nothing that is off limits.

Wrong. They have no reason to do this as Chevy still produces only V8s in their half tons and the people buying the 5.0L F-150 are directly comparing to that, often times.

Ford gave the Coyote different cams in the truck that are more suited to low-end torque than the Mustang, which is why it produces 385 hp and not 435. This is not to say that it develops more peak torque, but more area under the curve in the low to mid-range.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I suspect that after GT350 has completed it's production run...and if there is another GT500, Mach 1, Cobra or Boss something produced...there will not be anymore special-edition models.
Ford is turning itself into a "mobility company" and no is longer interested in celebrating the relics of it's old, gas-fueled, rubber-burning, CO-spewing history.
Mustang will be turned into a "mobility platform"...and soon enough, it will be driving itself.
"Sounds" like a blast.

Calm down.... the sky isn't falling. Performance and special editions will exist as long as consumer demand remains. Ford turning themselves into a mobility company is smart on their part as it means that they will continue to remain relevant into the future and still be around to offer special edition cars. The consumer tastes are changing and the industry is adapting to answer that demand. As long as a performance enthusiast crown remains there will be options to satisfy that demand.

Look at watch company's, there seems to be a new one popping up every day even though every person carries a smartphone and doesn't need a watch. Just because someone doesn't need to drive a car anymore because things are going autonomous and electric doesn't mean that people don't still want to. Best thing you can do is to instill the interest and passion for performance cars into the next generation.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
From the sounds of some of the posts here, I'm going to dump my 401k and start buying all the Coyote crate motors I can.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt

I don't know if Ford handicapped the 5.0 but they did handicap the 3.7L V6. Make the trim and options as restrictive as possible, one small option package, base interior the only choice, etc. If there was a V6 Premium for 2015+ I don't think the EcoBoost would have sold nearly as well as it has. Hopefully the V8 doesn't suffer the same slow death through options limiting from 2021-2023 like the V6 did from 2015-2017.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
"Sounds" like a blast.
You act as if Mustang is Ford's creme of the crop money maker. It's not really so them continuing to not make a lot of changes to it isn't going to hurt the company even if it's what all the other cars are doing. The Mustang is a small figures of sales compared to their whole line up of vehicles. They don't need the Mustang to succeed so they have no need to make the Mustang a "mobility platform". They are very aware of why people by Mustangs. They spends millions researching this stuff :lol:. They know that a Mustang is a drivers car and would never change that. What they do know is, people are OK with an EB Mustang just as much as any other. So it would make sense to continue down that path if there wasn't a large amount of risk involved. The amount of people who wouldn't buy a Mustang because it didn't have a V8 is probably smaller than you think.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
"Sounds" like a blast.
There will always be a "special edition" as long as they are bringing in money to Ford and more important, Ford dealerships.

I can't wait until they are driving themselves... long as I can take over when needed.

I can't wait until I get off work, get in the car late at night, sleep and then wake up in SC well rested the next morning...

Embrace the future.. can't wait...

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
There will always be a "special edition" as long as they are bringing in money to Ford and more important, Ford dealerships.

I can't wait until they are driving themselves... long as I can take over when needed.

I can't wait until I get off work, get in the car late at night, sleep and then wake up in SC well rested the next morning...

Embrace the future.. can't wait...
I agree... i am sure some out there enjoy sitting in 5mph bumper to bumper traffic working the clutch and gear shift but that is not where my driving enjoyment comes from. I will take the autonomous drive to and from work so i can sleep both ways, and when i get home i will have plenty of energy to carve corners with the gt350. On top of that more autonomous cars means less morons that can't drive!

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I will be enjoying and keeping my V8 manual GT forever now

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I don't know if Ford handicapped the 5.0 but they did handicap the 3.7L V6. Make the trim and options as restrictive as possible, one small option package, base interior the only choice, etc. If there was a V6 Premium for 2015+ I don't think the EcoBoost would have sold nearly as well as it has. Hopefully the V8 doesn't suffer the same slow death through options limiting from 2021-2023 like the V6 did from 2015-2017.

True but, as I understand it, the V6 was a late addition to the Mustang line-up. It was never intended to go into S550 but it was bought in to appease the fleet market.

Ironically, the majority of fleet/rental S550s I've seen have been Ecoboosts......and some of those have even been Premium ones.

I do agree though, that if the V6 had been available as a Premium, it's sales would have at least matched the Ecoboost.

I don't think they'll take a similar approach with the V8s of the future though. These will always be the low volume/niche models :)

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Calm down.... the sky isn't falling. Performance and special editions will exist as long as consumer demand remains. Ford turning themselves into a mobility company is smart on their part as it means that they will continue to remain relevant into the future and still be around to offer special edition cars. The consumer tastes are changing and the industry is adapting to answer that demand. As long as a performance enthusiast crown remains there will be options to satisfy that demand.

Look at watch company's, there seems to be a new one popping up every day even though every person carries a smartphone and doesn't need a watch. Just because someone doesn't need to drive a car anymore because things are going autonomous and electric doesn't mean that people don't still want to. Best thing you can do is to instill the interest and passion for performance cars into the next generation.
People keep saying this but look at how rare the manual transmission is getting. There's still a very vocal and real demand for it, yet it continues to go away. Many enjoyed it but give way to the new technology of dual clutches and fast shifting automatics eventually because it's faster by half a second and is less work. The V8 will be the same, look how many on here are excited about a Hybrid Mustang. Many that once enjoyed a V8 will dump it due to the hype of new technology and it's undeniable benefits in every cold, objective metric. The hybrid will be faster and more efficient and that will be enough for many enthusiasts. The demand will eventually become less and less until it doesn't make business sense (like the manual) and will be killed off by most large volume companies.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.