Mustang Hybrid (S650) Announced, Debuts in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
First, our electrical grid cannot, in any way, shape or form, handle even 10% of cars being 100% electric. The grid can't handle it. It would cost trillions to update and upgrade our electrical grid to handle the majority of cars being electric. And where does the electricity come from? Gas, coal and nuclear powered plants.

It's also common knowledge that hybrid/battery cars are worse for the environment than regular gasoline vehicles, over the complete life-span.

Second, just because Ford is announcing a "hybrid" Mustang, doesn't mean the V8 is going away. It's just going to be an option.

Third, Ford and other companies "announce" all sorts of stuff that never end up happening. This announcement is probably more of a political statement concerning the EPA mandates coming up in 2020.

Fourth, the world has plenty of gas. Plenty. The days of petrol engines are nowhere near over. The days of V8 gas cars will end when bullshit PC enviro-mandates kill them, and hopefully the Trump administration is going to inject some logic and common sense into things for a long time to come.
muthereffing dot

The masses are too stupid to realize the environmental impact of precious metal mining that's necessary for the production demand for modern batteries.

Add to that that yes, the current electrical grid is ancient and cannot support the increase demand expected in 5-10 years. Tree huggers want power, but they don't want to invest in true green power which is not solar or wind. Nuclear is the only way to keep up with the demand and current nuclear technology is amazingly efficient and safe.

But as long as the marketing makes everything look pretty, who cares about the underlying mess.
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
While it'll probably be good performer, stop comparing it to the 918. 918 uses exotic materials and costs $1M. All wheel drive, dual clutch and the like would make the current 5.0 motor do sub 4 seconds.

ACR2011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Very interesting. If it's anything like the i8 or 918, ford is starting to step up their game even more. My concern would be the price.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Took a while for me to process this announcement.

I'll buy the last year that a NA V8 is offered at 5.0L or greater displacement.
My guess it's 2019...and Ford will sell every one they can produce.
I know that times change and technologies need to advance for the betterment of us all, but for me the Mustang has always been about the V8.
I do not believe there will be a TT EB 5.0L or factory S/C Coyote for the S550...they would have been out or announced already.

A 2019 5.0/5.2 GT/ 50th Anniversary Mach 1 will work for me, then I'm out.

3.5-3.7L EB TT V6/4.0L EB TT V8/hybrid for 2020 S650 GT500.
$$??

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Oh boy - is this a change coming to the forum, everyone is going to unite in unison without any conflict? The haters aren't coming out of the woodwork with "it's not a Mustang unless it has a V8 and the sound from hell, you EB and V6 owners are all worthless... muhwahahahaha".... ???

Who woulda thought a Mustang Hybrid announcement would make everyone so loving...

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh boy - is this a change coming to the forum, everyone is going to unite in unison without any conflict? The haters aren't coming out of the woodwork with "it's not a Mustang unless it has a V8 and the sound from hell, you EB and V6 owners are all worthless... muhwahahahaha".... ???

Who woulda thought a Mustang Hybrid announcement would make everyone so loving...
U see the eb and v6 aren't pushing 400+ horsepower stock and they aren't on the top of the food chain. It's like a BMW 300 series owner trying to match up to the BMW m3. Who said everyone is all loving? Read half the thread.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Purely guessing here:
The V8 will stay in some form.
The 4 cyl will lose the turbo and go hybrid with a sizable electric motor.

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
I'm guessing the hybrid will be a version of the Ecoboost 4. They already have it up to 350/350 in the focus RS, a 100 HP electric motor and it will have more or than the outgoing GT, while leaving some extra room and weight for electric motors and batteries.

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
The future has arrived.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Purely guessing here:
The V8 will stay in some form.
The 4 cyl will lose the turbo and go hybrid with a sizable electric motor.
No way, ford invested too much into the ecoboost already. I doubt the electric motor will be given to a base model car, it seems to be put into the top mustang in the s650. My guesses anyway

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
U see the eb and v6 aren't pushing 400+ horsepower stock and they aren't on the top of the food chain. It's like a BMW 300 series owner trying to match up to the BMW m3. Who said everyone is all loving? Read half the thread.
Well, if you wanna talk food chain - last I recall, GT owners are still wishing they were a Shelby... :lol:

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, if you wanna talk food chain - last I recall, GT owners are still wishing they were a Shelby... :lol:
'Shelby' but yes I bet the majority owners would want a gt350. However they're extremely limited in supply and not part of the standard mustang lineup

gonna be a bitch to tune that one
That's implying future mustang wouldn't adopt a closed up ecu to prevent tuners from frying the motors.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
That's cool..it sounds like they're trying to appeal with the techno-performance crowd.

I think it's a hellava ideal and over due.:thumbsup: Now if Greedy Motors doesn't axe camaro they'll come out with one to no worries though they'll have ass do it like they did the turbo 4.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
They better still have a f*ing stick shift.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.