Mustang Hybrid (S650) Announced, Debuts in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It's going to be tough mentally having a muscle car without the growl.

But I think the 918 etc have proven that hybrids are even faster than naturally aspirated alone cars. The 918 proves you can have a smaller displacement V8 hybrid car making 800hp+ and getting 67mpg EV mode and 22mg gasoline. So average, what, 43mpg?

Look at the BMW i8, 1.5L 3 cylinder engine making 357hp and hybrid 0-60 in 4.0sec faster than a Mustang GT. And gets 78mpg EV/gas combined.

I still think Ford could make a decent sounding V6 (the Ford GT has a pretty nice sound for a V6) and EV with huge torque and power at the same time. The mustang being heavier (i8 is 3455lbs) will need a bit more than a 3cyl engine.

I would be in for more hp/tq than a 5.0 and double the mpg.
Sponsored

ob1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Orville
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I sell my S550 when I can get it in all wheel drive! :D

Lucky13Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Purple
I wouldn't expect TT v6 + electric motors. I bet it's NA 3.7 v6 300HP + 150HP electric motors = same ole 450HP (V8 like performance):doh:

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I'm all for technological advancements and progress. The ecoboost was one of the things that attracted me to the Mustang in the first place. But I've had a hybrid vehicle, and the hybrid battery wore out twice in 6 years for a total of 3 batteries needed over 70,000 miles. They were under warranty, but it wasn't a pleasant ownership experience, and I won't go back to battery tech until it matures more.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I wouldn't expect TT v6 + electric motors. I bet it's NA 3.7 v6 300HP + 150HP electric motors = same ole 450HP (V8 like performance):doh:
There's no way they'll bring back the 3.7L V6. If they're shooting for 450 hp then it'll be the EcoBoost 2.3 or 2.7 with electricity.

Sponsored

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
Currently all Ford hybrids have a standard 8 year 100K mile warranty on the battery. This type of support is used to make traditional buyers comfortable with the hybrid technology.

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
It sounds great as long as the power is there which I'm sure it will be.

While it sounds good, what is lost in being able to modify and work on the car yourself? I personally fear for the future of sports cars because of technology. Some of it I think is great while there are other things that frankly scare me. How about all of the nanny systems they have now? Systems that manipulate your brakes and steering for you. All great things in daily driving assuming they work right. Things that can also spell disaster if they go haywire going down the highway or around a racetrack. Right now I can buy a car without these systems but I don't think that will be the case for long.

Personally I believe the day will come where you won't be able to drive yourself anywhere. I think autonomous cars will be mandated by the government one day because it's "safer" for us.

I am sure many will read this and think I am a nut job or something. Trust me I hope I am wrong. Personally I think this is a great time for cars but I do feel we are at the highpoint. Great things are coming but I also fear that there are going to be a lot of not so good things coming with it, some of which won't be an option.

Edit: Just wanted to add my wife's Fusion had all kinds of issues with it's blind spot sensors which we were told was related to the sync. This didn't make me feel any better about all of the added "goodies" to the electrical system.

Last edited:

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
They should nickname it the 'Musk Mustang'

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Here is the Mule they will be testing.
FB_IMG_1483466411357.jpg

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Personally I believe the day will come where you won't be able to drive yourself anywhere. I think autonomous cars will be mandated by the government one day because it's "safer" for us.

I am sure many will read this and think I am a nut job or something. Trust me I hope I am wrong. Personally I think this is a great time for cars but I do feel we are at the highpoint. Great things are coming but I also fear that there are going to be a lot of not so good things coming with it, some of which won't be an option.
It wont be mandated by the government, it will be that the insurance for a human operated vehicle will be exorbitant.

Sponsored

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
To 'chain's point, many customers do not like the Auto Start/Stop feature appearing in many vehicles. Currently you can turn this off in Ford vehicles but if there comes a day when you can't I am not sure I would want a Mustang so equipped.

moubayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
To 'chain's point, many customers do not like the Auto Start/Stop feature appearing in many vehicles. Currently you can turn this off in Ford vehicles but if there comes a day when you can't I am not sure I would want a Mustang so equipped.
Im sure you can either mod it or pull a fuse. The camaro crowd does this as far as i know

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Sounds good to me.. although I 'd rather have a pure EV with Tesla performance levels!!

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I will keep my V8 Mustang until it qualifies for antique license plates lol
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.