Not open for further replies.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Just sounds like yet another thing to go wrong. I think this just solidified my choice in grabbing an S550 before the S650 hits. That was a pretty poor choice of words saying "V8 like power". Pretty much hints at that not being a V8 and most likely a V6.

All I can say is, have fun replacing that battery when the time comes. It will be interesting to see the brave ones to test this first year it's available.
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
You realize Ford made the decision to build a hybrid Mustang probably years ago, correct? There is a lot of engineering that goes into determining the feasibility of new vehicles.
While I agree, ford did say the "GT" was designed and made in a year as basically a last minute thing.

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
So it sounds like my 3 year old son who currently drives an electric power wheels Mustang will be able to drive one with the same type of propulsion system when he gets older. Better tell him to start loving that sweet electric motor whine instead of daddy's V8 rumble.

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
I daily a C-max plug in hybrid. I plug in twice a day. Once at home, once at work.
I love that I can go 1,600 miles between fill ups but I hate how frumpy the car looks.

The all electric driving experience is great for commuting and I love the instant torque of the electric motor. I hate the CVT transmission in the thing and how it sucks any passion for the ICE engine experience.

I am also concerned about battery life. In my experience with the C max I have lost 1/3 of the all electric range in 50,000 miles. I think this is because the battery is air cooled. I hope that Ford builds a water cooled battery for the Mustang.

IMO the platform should not loose the V8. I would hope that they would build a 4L V8 that is rear wheel drive with spindle motors driving the front wheels and a 10-12kw water cooled battery. I would think this combination would go 0-60 in 3ish seconds. It would also give you 100 mpge. It would look good doing it too.

Sponsored

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
I don't think this version automatically means that there won't be another V8 mustang.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I don't think this version automatically means that there won't be another V8 mustang.
V8 will be the new V6 line up but eventually axed out too.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Pretty much solidified for me to get a refreshed s550. A hybrid mustang is gonna weigh more than 2 ton of bricks.
While i do agree that hybrid batteries add weight one thing to be aware of is how the weight is added. Traditionally it is very well distributed and also very low to the ground lowering COG. For me it comes down to performance, but the world is changing, La Ferrari, P1, 918, Lambo Urus, as long as i don't have to give up performance i care less about the method used to get there.

My Current v6 family sedan makes more HP than a v8 mustang from the 80's with less cylinders and better fuel economy, change is a good thing.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hell they probably already started round tables on the Hybrid Mustang before the S550 was launched. With big businesses, the work never stops, projects over lapse each other, risk and analysis happens YEARS before it's even mentioned to the public.
The rear-drive hybrid platform has been in development since 2014, so yes, you're correct. It has nothing to do with the election or anything like that. The US could go dodo brain and regress on everything but most of the carmakers would stay the course, as Europe is still trending the same way and most vehicles & powertrains are global platforms.

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
Just sounds like yet another thing to go wrong. I think this just solidified my choice in grabbing an S550 before the S650 hits. That was a pretty poor choice of words saying "V8 like power". Pretty much hints at that not being a V8 and most likely a V6.

All I can say is, have fun replacing that battery when the time comes. It will be interesting to see the brave ones to test this first year it's available.
i agree with you on that.more things to go wrong and,the cost will be high.for years they are pricing the mustang out of alot of peoples hands.this monkey see monkey do crap in the auto industry is pathetic.self driving cars is one of the most stupid things ever.at this rate of stupidity,there will be people growing up never knowing how to DRIVE a car.:tsk::crazy:

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The reality is petrol powered automobiles will begin to dwindle as manufacturers find alternative sources. That's the entire purpose of electrification. When a vehicle has a hybrid variation, it's given a very real mark on it's record to be turned entirely electric in its future. It means the model will live on past the days of petrol. Which I'm happy to know. But just the same, I would never buy one.

Despite what some say, if you tune one of these 5.0L cars, it's still fairly analog. Which is what the mustang was all about. Ford, as well as many many other people, know the days are dwindling where V8 muscle cars exist. This is the start of it.
First, our electrical grid cannot, in any way, shape or form, handle even 10% of cars being 100% electric. The grid can't handle it. It would cost trillions to update and upgrade our electrical grid to handle the majority of cars being electric. And where does the electricity come from? Gas, coal and nuclear powered plants.

It's also common knowledge that hybrid/battery cars are worse for the environment than regular gasoline vehicles, over the complete life-span.

Second, just because Ford is announcing a "hybrid" Mustang, doesn't mean the V8 is going away. It's just going to be an option.

Third, Ford and other companies "announce" all sorts of stuff that never end up happening. This announcement is probably more of a political statement concerning the EPA mandates coming up in 2020.

Fourth, the world has plenty of gas. Plenty. The days of petrol engines are nowhere near over. The days of V8 gas cars will end when bullshit PC enviro-mandates kill them.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
"V8 Power and low end torque" :)
Indeed. My mind goes to the Porsche 918. Can't think of a way to criticize that, except it's likely to cost $50k or more.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Coupled with a twin turbo v6 , and a decent auto gearbox (e.g. PDK) , this thing could be a track monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.