Sponsored

To tune, or not to tune?!

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
Why does 93 burn easier? I think octane rating is just a rating of how much pressure gas can take before sponsniously combusting. That's why everyone tells me not to put 93 in a car that calls for 87, because the gas wont fully combust. If you put 87 in a car that calls for 93 the gas will combust before the spark and cause knocking(pre-detonation) in the engine. You need to tune your car to run optimally on a certain type of gas.
that makes sense now idk what tune to get ahhh

can anyone else chime in on this?

maybe i should stop putting 93 octane >.<
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Why does 93 burn easier? I think octane rating is just a rating of how much pressure gas can take before sponsniously combusting. That's why everyone tells me not to put 93 in a car that calls for 87, because the gas wont fully combust. If you put 87 in a car that calls for 93 the gas will combust before the spark and cause knocking(pre-detonation) in the engine. You need to tune your car to run optimally on a certain type of gas.
Yes, octane rating is just about resistance to detonation, BUT my understanding is there is a good chance a higher octane fuel could also burn faster than a lower octane fuel. Even how they achieved the octane can have a bearing on burn rate. Lighter components burn faster and can also effect octane. But there is no hard and fast rule. You can get some idea by checking the fuels specific gravity (how much a gallon weighs compared to a gallon of water). But even that isn't a 100% sure indication of burn rate. I think its probably more likely that the higher octane gas will burn faster, not slower. But I doubt if burn rate has any noticeable effect on performance of a street driven engine.

15Black3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 3.7
Just to add to the actual post, I will tune as soon as I'm off warranty and will use MPT. I've looked at all options and besides a custom dino tune at a reputable mustang tuner, MPT is the way to go. I'm going to use their 93 tune.
So you're going to wait until either 5 years or 60,000 miles to tune your car?

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
I use 93 in my V6 I went from getting 24 MPG to 27 MPG and with the tune I am at 30MPG the 24 was with 87 octane the 27 was with 93 no tune and 30 with tune so don't let anyone tell you that you should not run better gas because your car calls for 87 octane the higher octane fuel also burns more cleaner with less carbon deposits in your motor why do you think a lot of BMW's acura's and other sports cars all use 93 its for the power you can get out of it and how the motor runs on it if there were no diff then all cars would call for 87 those people telling you to only run 87 really have no idea what they are missing

Sponsored

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I use 93 in my V6 I went from getting 24 MPG to 27 MPG and with the tune I am at 30MPG the 24 was with 87 octane the 27 was with 93 no tune and 30 with tune so don't let anyone tell you that you should not run better gas because your car calls for 87 octane the higher octane fuel also burns more cleaner with less carbon deposits in your motor why do you think a lot of BMW's acura's and other sports cars all use 93 its for the power you can get out of it and how the motor runs on it if there were no diff then all cars would call for 87 those people telling you to only run 87 really have no idea what they are missing
Science and car engineers would disagree...

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
From my understanding based on how it was explained to me the higher the octane the faster it will burn.
Not necessarily. If the higher octane was achieved with lighter components, then yes it will burn faster. BUT there are other ways to increase octane and the provider could intentionally add things to slow it down. The differences with pump gas will be so small that it doesn't matter for a street car.

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
Science and car engineers would disagree...
Well then let them prove it wrong, I get better gas mileage and more power out of the 93 than I do 87 any day. and why then does the mustang GT and the ECOBOOST both say the rated horse power is with 93 octane only ? Car Engineers might be able to make it work but then it goes to show that they are not doing the job if they are able to and Science sure but its all just theory where is the proof show me and I will agree but for right now if you can get 93 and you see the improvement running it then a few extra cents at the pomp is worth it to me and the fact that I am gaining 3 to 6 extra miles to the gallon and better power you cant tell me its not good to run it I will say it again people that tell you if its rated for 87 that is all you can and should run in it do not know what they are missing

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
Nope 3 years or 45k miles (i think)
your car has the 3 year 36K bumper to bumper but the power train has a 5 year warranty on it look at your owners manual it will have it in there

Sponsored

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Well Mark's mind is made up...

And I don't believe I have 5 years on my powertrain but ill check on that

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
So you're going to wait until either 5 years or 60,000 miles to tune your car?
I didn't know all mustangs came with that 5yr 60k mile powertrain warranty that's pretty cool! I'll probably wait the 5 years, yes. I rather wait out the 5 years and see if anything fails than put a tune on at 3 years and have the motor blow at 4 due to a defective rod or something. Not sure if that logic makes sense universally but it adds up in my head!

But then again the Magnuson Moss Act is supposed to protect modifications by putting the burden of proof on the manufacturer not the individual who modded the car. So I might say screw it and get a tune sooner, we'll see.

racinreddy

P51 - MUSTANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6, Race Red, 051a, Auto, CAI: Roush
I didn't know all mustangs came with that 5yr 60k mile powertrain warranty that's pretty cool! I'll probably wait the 5 years, yes. I rather wait out the 5 years and see if anything fails than put a tune on at 3 years and have the motor blow at 4 due to a defective rod or something. Not sure if that logic makes sense universally but it adds up in my head!

But then again the Magnuson Moss Act is supposed to protect modifications by putting the burden of proof on the manufacturer not the individual who modded the car. So I might say screw it and get a tune sooner, we'll see.
Dude IMO you would be missing lot of fun for 5 years without tune :D

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
im almost at 30k im tuning as soon as i get the money for the intake and tune ^^

curious, why is it sold with more than one tune? lets say i get the tune then add h pipe and throttle body it will need another tune and thats why its sold with more than one often?

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Honestly I just worry about my engine since I beat on it daily but a tune sounds great since i have a cat back GT exhaust, H pipe and custom intake tube coming, maybe I'd pickup some extra ponies!
Sponsored