Sponsored

Oil leak after oil change

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Unfortunately, I've found that I need to regularly check the torque on my filter as it's come loose several times; that's after torquing it with a torque wrench. I also may have a problem with the oil filter mount sealing surface, but that seems to be a unique issue.
What kind of torque wrench are you using?

If you properly torqued it to 24 ft/lbs, it shouldnt come lose at all.
Sponsored

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
What kind of torque wrench are you using?

If you properly torqued it to 24 ft/lbs, it shouldnt come lose at all.
Are you asking for a brand name, or something else?

I've tightened the filter to 24 Nm, and it's come lose.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I wrote Nm, and that's what I meant to write.

24.2 Nm is about 18 ft lbs. 24 Nm and 18 ft lbs are listed as the max torque value for the GT350 filter

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
^You guys are missing the point. HilziBullet and likeaboss's oil leaks are in front of the driver's side tire, this isn't where the oil filter is located. It is where the oil cooler is located.

So it's probably less likely a case where the oil filter wasn't torqued correctly and possibly due to something else. Perhaps oil spilling during the oil change or maybe even the recall issue.

Sponsored

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
^You guys are missing the point. HilziBullet and likeaboss's oil leaks are in front of the driver's side tire, this isn't where the oil filter is located. It is where the oil cooler is located.

So it's probably less likely a case where the oil filter wasn't torqued correctly and possibly due to something else. Perhaps oil spilling during the oil change or maybe even the recall issue.

omg thanks for telling me that..I have more shots from tonight
IMG_0516.jpg
IMG_0517.jpg
IMG_0520.jpg
IMG_0522.jpg

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Only one way to know is to look under the car.

It could be oil that spilled over the plastic under carriage due to filter change and that oil is spilling around.

But the way that leak looks like (its a steady stream), the above poster might be right. It could be the recall.

Check the oil level and add oil if necessary. If its below minimum and you cannot add oil, dont even start the car. Have it towed to the dealer.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
reporting back: oil level was good, looks brighter than the leaked one

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
When removing the filter, poke a hole in it first. Eliminates most of the mess.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

You may be right, since the cooler is inside the bumper, in front of the driver's side wheel.

But, a heads-up to check the oil filter, or spillage from a filter change, or even a leak in the cooler lines back to the oil filter adapter is also not misplaced. If residue its residue from a messy filter change or a leak in one of the crimps in the oil lines, then the oil can move around quite a bit before it finds a low point and opening.

I personally don't want any catastrophe here, but with the way oil (any fluid really) moves around, you have to check multiple possibilities.

subtle

Smart Like Truck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NB
Will buy it right away, that is amazing!
Amazing?! A piece of plastic for $12.99?

You could go to bed bath & beyond and buy a flexible cutting board for $5 and achieve the same thing. Or better yet just go to a supply house and buy a bulk piece of flexible plastic for less than $1. Or use aluminum foil.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Amazing?! A piece of plastic for $12.99?

You could go to bed bath & beyond and buy a flexible cutting board for $5 and achieve the same thing. Or better yet just go to a supply house and buy a bulk piece of flexible plastic for less than $1. Or use aluminum foil.
Ok

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Can get orange plastic oil filter mess-reducers from your local Harley dealer for $49.95! :)

Comes with HD logo... extra HP.
Sponsored