Sponsored

2015 GT PP defective front strut replaced by dealer, they say i dont need a alignment

TheWal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s197
Hi guys,

So I was getting this clunking noise whenever I drove the car over uneven road/bumpy roads. The same noise would occur when i braked.

So i took to the dealership and ofcourse they tell me they hear nothing. Then i had to go back and drive the car with them to point it out.

The tech ordered a new front strut and sway bar link?

Anyways today they call me and say the car is good to go but they did not do an alignment because it doesn't need it.

im confused about this because from what ive been told in the past any time we change any suspension related items, we would require an alignment so the tires dont get uneven wear.

The tech says the car drives straight still and does not need an alignment.

Can anyone back this up?

Thank you very much
Sponsored

Last edited:

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Any time a suspension component like a strut is removed and replaced, you need an alignment IMO. I'd insist the dealership at least puts it up on the rack to give you the current alignment specs and prove that it's good.

OP
OP

TheWal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s197
Any time a suspension component like a strut is removed and replaced, you need an alignment IMO. I'd insist the dealership at least puts it up on the rack to give you the current alignment specs and prove that it's good.
Yeah thats what I thought. Ugh this is very frustrating. I talked to the tech who keeps telling me it doesnt need it since its being replaced by the same part.

I dont understand where they get these techs from.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Lol. Yeh, that's ridiculous, especially if it was a warranty repair. I would definitely push the subject. The second you mess with the suspension, it needs to be re-aligned. Period. The fact that it tracks straight on the road is great and all but does not mean it shouldn't be aligned.

As was said above, tell them to at least "check" the alignment to ensure it's within spec.

OP
OP

TheWal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s197
Lol. Yeh, that's ridiculous, especially if it was a warranty repair. I would definitely push the subject. The second you mess with the suspension, it needs to be re-aligned. Period. The fact that it tracks straight on the road is great and all but does not mean it shouldn't be aligned.

As was said above, tell them to at least "check" the alignment to ensure it's within spec.
I will ask them tomorrow,

By check you mean put it on the alignment machine right?

I dont want him saying "Yeah i checked it, it drove straight" lol

The worst thing is that I have to drop off the car (since I have to be at work) so I wont even know if they will "check" with the machine or just say its been checked and its good to go.

Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP

The worst thing is that I have to drop off the car (since I have to be at work) so I wont even know if they will "check" with the machine or just say its been checked and its good to go.
There is minimal alignment available but just request a print out of the alignment check.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI

They can, and any reputable place always will, print out the actual alignment numbers from their machine. Typically when you go for an alignment, they give you a before and after. They should at a minimum give you a "before" or current state to prove all is good (spoiler alert: It won't be).

NowhereFast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem. PP, 1999 WS6,2010 Expedition
I don't really know what these cars look like underneath, but if there's no adjustments on the strut and it's a straight bolt in, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more concerned with them marking up the wheels with the targets on the machine.
Sponsored