Col3371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Ruby Red GT
Morning all.
Rains stopped so today is the day for me to hardwire my Thinkware in at long last.
Did my homework last night and from what I can gather (from lots of conflicting info from all over the place);

Yellow into Fuse 2 & Red into Fuse 23?

My question is, the fuse taps have 2 slots for fuses. Obviously the original that you take out goes in one (& I thought that'd be it) but I've seen photos of the other one being filled with a 5A fuse as well? Is this right?

I'm no electrician in any sense of the word but I ain't no novice either. Trouble is that the last car I messed with (electrics wise) was my old Astra in 1988 :lol: Things have changed somewhat!
I'd have thought that by putting a 5A in the fuse tap would render the other higher one useless? I'm sure I'm wrong but would like to understand.

Can someone let me know what I should do at all? Wanted to get this done today :frusty:
Sponsored

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
the original fuse will protect the original circuit,
and the 5v one just protects the dash cam
Yellow to 23 & Red to 2

Col3371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Ruby Red GT
the original fuse will protect the original circuit,
and the 5v one just protects the dash cam
Yellow to 23 & Red to 2
Cheers Ian......... going with your final word :cheers:

Clever little things these fuse taps

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I had to shave a little bit off of the black plastic on mine. They was too tight

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
@Col3371 please can you edit the fuses mentioned in your last message to stop other getting it wrong.

Thinkware F750

Red Wire - Battery (Continuous +12v)
Fuse 2 Power mirror memory module
This fuse is continuously powered

Yellow Wire - ACC (Accessories ignition switched)
Fuse 23 Switches Power windows Rear-view mirror
This fuse switches on and off with ignition

These fuse positions are at the bottom of the passenger compartment fuse panel.

When you load the fuses into the fuse taps the fuse position nearest the prongs protects the original circuit and the top most fuse position protects the fuse tap. It also matters which way the fuse tap is inserted into the panel because if it is the wrong way round the original fuse will be inline with the fuse tap. I buzzed out and checked the switched voltages and as far as I know the positions shown in the picture below are the right way around but I don't give any warranty or guarantee.
P1010841 (Medium).JPG
P1010845 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

Col3371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Ruby Red GT
[MENTION=19927]Col3371[/MENTION] please can you edit the fuses mentioned in your last message to stop other getting it wrong.

Thinkware F750

Red Wire - Battery (Continuous +12v)
Fuse 2 Power mirror memory module
This fuse is continuously powered

Yellow Wire - ACC (Accessories ignition switched)
Fuse 23 Switches Power windows Rear-view mirror
This fuse switches on and off with ignition

These fuse positions are at the bottom of the passenger compartment fuse panel.
Cheers Mark. Had to abort again anyway cause I haven't got any fuses! Ordered on ebay & will take at least a week.
Stupidly thought that the 'unused' fuses shown in the manual would actually be there as spares (like my Jag had) but no, all empty.

I give up :headbonk:

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
;)
Cheers Mark. Had to abort again anyway cause I haven't got any fuses! Ordered on ebay & will take at least a week.
Stupidly thought that the 'unused' fuses shown in the manual would actually be there as spares (like my Jag had) but no, all empty.

I give up :headbonk:
BTW I just added a bit to my post.

Don't give up but are you sure that you ordered the correct Micro 2 fuses from eBay, maybe post the link?

I ordered my Micro 2 fuses over the parts counter at my local (non Ford Store) Ford dealer for next day collection. I didn't go to my Mustang dealer in case I screwed up and needed their help ;). For those of you still prepared to visit a Ford dealer this could be where to get your fuses :).

Col3371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Ruby Red GT
;)

Don't give up but are you sure that you ordered the correct Micro 2 fuses from eBay, maybe post the link?

I ordered my Micro 2 fuses over the parts counter at my local (non Ford Store) Ford dealer for next day collection. I didn't go to my Mustang dealer in case I screwed up and needed their help ;). For those of you still prepared to visit a Ford dealer this could be where to get your fuses :).
It's okay mate, only given up for today ;)

Planning on nipping into the Ford dealer to tomorrow to get a couple of fuses so I can get this done.

Thanks for all your help, it's well appreciated

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Planning on nipping into the Ford dealer to tomorrow to get a couple of fuses so I can get this done.
I expect Fuses are not a stock item and it's next day delivery from Germany :)

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
;)

When I did mine I asked my dealer to supply the fuses. They made a song and dance about giving them to me for nothing because of the other warranty work. Got home and they'd given me micro fuses not micro 2 anyway. The incompetence persists....:frusty::frusty:

I ordered the right ones from www.altecautomotive.co.uk and they came within a couple of days

Sponsored

Col3371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Ruby Red GT
Update. Finally have my Dashcam hardwired. Bit of a ballache to thread through the dash into the door seal but with a little patience, all done and not a wire in sight.
I was a little concerned with the fitment of the fuse taps into 2 & 23 though, they don't seem to 'seat' very well because of the wire bottoming out onto the plastic bit to the side and I am a little worried that they might pop out due to bumps or spirited driving. I've wobbled them like mad & they seem secure so I've decided on giving them a 'check' over the next few days to make sure.
Did anyone else find this (Mark? Pete?) or is it just my taps?

Other than that, all good & the motion detectors work well.

Many thanks for the help before as well........... good example of what these forums are all about :cheers:

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Mine didn't feel particularly seated either - until I had to take them out when I realised I'd go them transposed and I had quite a job of prising them loose. Couple of months in and no issues (apart from the camera itself bricking when I flashed the new firmware which necessitated a replacement from the vendor!)

All good now though

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Did anyone else find this (Mark? Pete?) or is it just my taps?
The fuse tap on fuse 36 at the top of the panel used for my dealer installed front parking sensors actually fell out when I tried to look at what they had done and I then had to workout where to put the fuse back in.

The original fuses 2 & 23 were so tight that I purchased a fuse puller to get them out. When I fitted the taps in 2 & 23 they were tight and it turns out that 2 & 23 were a good combination as the fuse taps sit snuggly next to each other. Other pairs of fuse taps would not fit.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I still need to wire in my dash cam after my last attempt blew up :(

Col3371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Ruby Red GT
I still need to wire in my dash cam after my last attempt blew up :(
Well, all's well with mine if that's any incentive?
Sponsored