Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Styling: Keep the current theme of modern looks with just enough retro cues, more evolutionary than revolutionary. Maybe push the front wheels further toward the front of the car to have the engine sit further behind the front axle. Keep exaggerated fastback roofline.

Engines:
Base - 2.3 Ecoboost @ 310hp/320 lb-ft
Mid - 2.7 V6 Ecoboost @ 350hp/380lb-ft
GT - 5.0, add DI, 450hp/415lb-ft
Hard to say about any other editions because it seems like there may still be an S550 Mach 1 and they haven't released power figures for the GT500 yet.

Weight: Lose at least 300lbs w/ aluminum construction.

Interior: Less hard plastics. Power seat recline. Bigger infotainment screens for the center dash and instrument cluster (maybe move from touchscreen to a rotary dial, although that is highly unlikely).

Technology: This may sound crazy for a Mustang but I would love to see autonomous driving capabilities. Ford has been at or near the forefront of developing this inevitable technology, so having it applied to the next Mustang is not too far outside the realm of possibilities. While I would never get rid of my three pedals and stick shift for around town and spirited driving, driving on the highway is such a boring chore. I would love to be able to just hand the task over to the car's brains/sensors.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So, in your opinion, do you think those gains are realistic with a stock GTPP?
:shrug:

If Ford did leave that much on the table, I'd have to wonder why.

Norm

Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Without being too nitpicky, here is my scaled down list

1. Improved throttle response. (Might be better with premium modes but it's atrocious on my base even with 3.55's)

2. Anything but the MT82. I know some don't mind it, but it seriously has me considering going 10 spd auto if the non-PP's get stuck with this, or similar, gearbox again.

3. Paint. I would like to daily drive my car without constantly cringing and praying for no chips. I see more in 6 months with this car than 7 years with my previous.
I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but my source indicates that the transmission will be "redesigned". The front fascia will look the "sportiest of any Mustang ever made."

However, my source did not confirm if these changes are final and if they correspond to 2018 or 2021.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but my source indicates that the transmission will be "redesigned". The front fascia will look the "sportiest of any Mustang ever made."

However, my source did not confirm if these changes are final and if they correspond to 2018 or 2021.

Well.....ask him to clarify :gossip:

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/PP, 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
Why so much dislike for the Getrag? Is it a breakage problem? Drag racing? What, exactly?

Because from a purely driving standpoint it's great and has a very precise feeling. Further, I like the close ratio design where 5th is 1:1. I highly doubt a Tremec could feel this good.

What am I missing here?

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Why so much dislike for the Getrag? Is it a breakage problem? Drag racing? What, exactly?

Because from a purely driving standpoint it's great and has a very precise feeling. Further, I like the close ratio design where 5th is 1:1. I highly doubt a Tremec could feel this good.

What am I missing here?
For me it's the ability to hold power. People going forced induction with the MT-82 have nothing but problems. One guy I know blew out 2nd gear. Other guys had other various problems. But if you have a Tremec, it's solved. Good for much more horsepower.

Since I'm not forced induction (yet), it's a non-issue.

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I know some will scream at me...but I would like to see full automatic collision braking similar to what is now available on Volvo/Hyundai/Nissan etc.
Yesterday, I had someone zip out just behind a car I was following with adaptive cruise set to the max 4 mark. Before I had a chance to even apply the brakes, the adaptive cruise cut the throttle and applied the brakes then the collision warning light/chime went off. I slammed on the brakes and just barely missed broadsiding the idiot who had shot out. The automatic system had already dropped my speed by at least 20 mph before I even had a chance to hit the brakes. Not exactly full collision braking, but enough to keep me from hitting someone.
I didn't know the adaptive cruise could be so aggressive in braking. I have had it gently slow me down...but never experienced what it can do in an emergency.

OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

What am I missing here?
I have driven several shelby's with tremec's and, IMO, they are far smoother.

I have a car with less than 100 miles and my mt82 is already having problems shifting into third. The car has only been shifted at full throttle once, otherwise driven conservatively. Never launched, never powershifted, clutch always to the floor when shifting. I wait the full 2 seconds beforw shifting to and from reverse, etc. I've never experienced such slop in a performance vehicle.

I'm told the tranny comes from the factory missing essential stabilizing components. I talked to my local S550 guru today and he said he had to replace 2 of them before he wised up and had Ben Calmer build his third. He ended up out of pocket for them too. Ford considered his warranty claims "failure do to abuse".

TnGT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GT500
I have driven several shelby's with tremec's and, IMO, they are far smoother.

I have a car with less than 100 miles and my mt82 is already having problems shifting into third. The car has only been shifted at full throttle once, otherwise driven conservatively. Never launched, never powershifted, clutch always to the floor when shifting. I wait the full 2 seconds beforw shifting to and from reverse, etc. I've never experienced such slop in a performance vehicle.

I'm told the tranny comes from the factory missing essential stabilizing components. I talked to my local S550 guru today and he said he had to replace 2 of them before he wised up and had Ben Calmer build his third. He ended up out of pocket for them too. Ford considered his warranty claims "failure do to abuse".
Are you referring to shifter problems or the transmission itself? I know even on my Tremec I've had to upgrade the shifter due to excessive slop rowing through the gears with the factory setup.

OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Are you referring to shifter problems or the transmission itself? I know even on my Tremec I've had to upgrade the shifter due to excessive slop rowing through the gears with the factory setup.
Both.

Status
Not open for further replies.