Sponsored

Hellion 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt twin turbo, 04 powerstroke, 15 escape eco
Hi all, first post!

I have a 2015 gt premium with the mt82. I have done quite a bit of work to it but the item in question today is my hellion kit. Has been on the vehicle for 2000+ miles and almost a year without issues.

On the way home frpm the american muscle show last month it blew the cooling fan fuse #29 (which was swapped to a 40a) and drove fine after. I attributed it to the heat of the say being almost 120°. It has since happened multiple otger times becoming more frequent to the point where im not even driving the car anymore.

I have checked visible wiring with no signs of melting, breaks or cuts in sheathing, though I do gave the original singke fan setup rather than the dual fan as that was not avajlable when my kit was sent.

Has anyone ever had this issue? Im not sure if the fan motor went bad or what the case is. Hellion sais i can buy the updated fan shroud from them, but i dont want to throw parts at it if I don't know it will fix the issue. Any help or recommendations would be truly appreciated.

Josh
Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Sounds like the fan is drawing to much power and blowing the fuse, or you have an intermittent short. A multi meter and a couple minutes should rule out a short or high resistance in the wiring. An amp clamp will tell you how much current the fan is drawing. If you do not have either i suggest taking it to someone. Or just throw parts at it.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like the fan is drawing to much power and blowing the fuse, or you have an intermittent short. A multi meter and a couple minutes should rule out a short or high resistance in the wiring. An amp clamp will tell you how much current the fan is drawing. If you do not have either i suggest taking it to someone. Or just throw parts at it.
I do not have an amp clamp but do have a multimeter. I'm not sure what im ohming out is it just positive to negative on the harness? Or would i have to prove all tge way to the pcm?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
how much is a new fan?

what kind of temps do you get under the hood?

do you have one of these gadgets?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Las...er-Thermal-Heat-Sensor-Gauge-IR-/361595677901
Digital Laser Infrared Temperature Gun Thermometer Thermal Heat Sensor Gauge IR

this video might be useful :

How To SEE And Fix Electrical Shorts
Published on Sep 6, 2016
Scotty Kilmer, mechanic for the last 48 years, shows how you can use a thermal imaging gun to quickly see electrical shorts so you can fix them.They even make thermal cameras to use on your I phones and android devices that don't cost all that much.

[ame]

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how much is a new fan?

what kind of temps do you get under the hood?

do you have one of these gadgets?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Las...er-Thermal-Heat-Sensor-Gauge-IR-/361595677901
Digital Laser Infrared Temperature Gun Thermometer Thermal Heat Sensor Gauge IR

this video might be useful :

How To SEE And Fix Electrical Shorts
Published on Sep 6, 2016
Scotty Kilmer, mechanic for the last 48 years, shows how you can use a thermal imaging gun to quickly see electrical shorts so you can fix them.They even make thermal cameras to use on your I phones and android devices that don't cost all that much.

The updates fan design is 230$ i just dont wanna spend the money if not needed thats all. But the conclusion I and local techs are coming to is we think the fan motor is internally shorted. Just wasnt sure if there was a way to guarantee we were correct.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What's the power / current rating of the fan ? 40a fuse seems like a lot for a fan.

maybe get an ammeter and a Thermal IR gun. Those are inexpensive tools. You look on ebay? Thermal camera is more expensive but it would be fun to try.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The stock fans run a 30 amp on one and a 40 amp on the other. According to hellion tgey run the 40a fuse with no issues.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
That was a horrible video, i want my time back. I do not have a wiring diagram in front of me, i am sure someone will tell me i am wrong. I assume the fan has a 2 wire plug? The power wire should have either really high resistance or no continuity to ground. The ground wire should have .1ohm to ground or darn close to it. Start the car, turn the a/c on with fan unplugged you should have battery voltage at the power wire.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the oroginal harness was 4 pins 4 wires 2 plugs. Going to a single fan 1 plug and 2 wires were removed. I just wasnt sure if anyone had heard this issue previously is all.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two different fans? Which one do you have?
Yes there are almost always 2 fans. A low and a high speed. Hence the amperage difference. When the Hellion kit was released it came with a large single fan instead of 2 smaller ones.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately they don't make anything over 40a in that style fuse (it is the miniature box fuses I think theyre calles micro female maxi fuse) that i have been able to find. I was willing to go to a 50 as a doagnostic trial. To this point i dont know if it is pulling 40.1 amps or 800 amps.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The stock fans run a 30 amp on one and a 40 amp on the other. According to hellion tgey run the 40a fuse with no issues.
strange to have a 40a fuse for a 40 amp fan. You could shop for an ammeter and try to determine what the fan normally pulls while running, or just purchase the latest fan kit from Hellion. I'd probably just do the latter.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well i pulled the fan out today, and hooked it to a battery. Fan turned about a 1/4" and then the wiring started arcing. I guess i found my answer.
Sponsored