Sponsored

2018/19 Shelby GT500 Mustang Spotted! Twin Turbo V8 Powered? [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still looking
Ain't no damn way on earth I'd even consider putting > $70k in a Chevrolet.
+1....or any car for that matter!!!

Too many thing I want to do with my life, including retiring early, to waste $70K+ on a freakin car! :headbonk:
Sponsored

93 347 Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 SVT Mustangs (all sold)
I am all for Ford keeping things simple for the 2019 GT500. I just want an aluminum headed supercharged SOHC 6.2 liter aluminum block without direct injection into the combustion chamber. Port injection is good enough. SOHC aluminum Raptor block would fit nicely in the sixth gen Mustang.
Ford will be releasing a new displacement 6.2-based V8, this is 100% confirmed. Meaning 115-mm bores. I think there's a strong possibility this may be the new GT500 engine. When Ford released the original '07 GT500 it was the world's worst kept secret that it was a 5.4DOHC. 5.4 had been a truck engine, aside from the '00R. There's no way in hell SVT will give up the advantages of DOHC to revert to a 2-valve. Aluminum block shorter stroke/shorter deck 6.2(5.8) DOHC with a TVS2 sitting on top. I think they dip back into the truck engines for inspiration again, just with much better cylinder heads, custom cam grinds etc..

healntoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 GT350 Convertible
Maybe once we see what Ford does to the 2018 GT350 , we will all be so blown away that we will all forget about a GT500.
Did I miss something?...I wasn't aware that there would be a 2018 GT350! Is this speculation on your part, or was there an announcement that I didn't see?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Did I miss something?...I wasn't aware that there would be a 2018 GT350! Is this speculation on your part, or was there an announcement that I didn't see?

This is speculation. If they do, it would likely be 1 more model year and with no updates, just a carry over from 17 (think 2015 ZL1)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Ford is not going to a bigger v8. If anything they would go smaller with ecoboost.

moubayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Ford is not going to a bigger v8. If anything they would go smaller with ecoboost.
I think so too. If they really want to push the whole Ecoboost concept they might want go with less displacement. Imagine what a smaller displaced v8 would do for the ecoboost car image.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Ford will be releasing a new displacement 6.2-based V8, this is 100% confirmed. Meaning 115-mm bores. I think there's a strong possibility this may be the new GT500 engine. When Ford released the original '07 GT500 it was the world's worst kept secret that it was a 5.4DOHC. 5.4 had been a truck engine, aside from the '00R. There's no way in hell SVT will give up the advantages of DOHC to revert to a 2-valve. Aluminum block shorter stroke/shorter deck 6.2(5.8) DOHC with a TVS2 sitting on top. I think they dip back into the truck engines for inspiration again, just with much better cylinder heads, custom cam grinds etc..
Source?

If so its for F-250's.

Raptor's are going from 6.2L to Ecoboost.

Everything is going smaller... turbo.

Look to the cutting edge cars... Ferrari, etc.. they're going turbo & smaller.
Porsche did it with their WHOLE line up, Ferrari is doing it, (Italia458 to Italia488), etc.

Example: Aluminum body parts: It happens first in the higher end (aluminum/CF body sports cars), then moves to large volume things (like aluminum body F-150s), then will move to everything mainstream.
CF wheels

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Ford's philosophy regarding EcoBoost is that a turbocharged smaller engine with lower cylinder count can replace a larger NA engine in terms of power output, while improving MPG, right? With that in mind, the only logical thing for them to do with Mustang GT - if they were so inclined - is to replace the 5.0L V8 with the 3.5L EB engine. Replacing it with another slightly smaller V8 makes no sense, and doesn't fit that philosophy.

However, I strongly feel that they'll do no such thing. This segment demands a V8 as top dog, and unlike the midsize sedan customer, the buyers of these cars care a great deal about the 50+ years of brand equity on which that is built. Ford will not throw that away any time soon, because that brand image is what sells these cars.

EcoBoost works outside this niche segment because outside this niche, customers don't car what engine is in there or which wheels drive. But here, its everything. And frankly, this portion of this segment that requires the V8 isn't big enough to have a major impact on fleet economy. Ford can continue to offer the V8 in the car without major consequence as long there is a V8 available that meets emissions regs. And so far, F-150 ensures that. There will continue to be V8s in mainstream Mustangs for the foreseeable future, IMHO.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
I don't think they'll get rid of the V8 yet. But watch out for a size reduction... they did it already once... 5.0 to 4.6, with the hp per liter going up for Ecoboost look for it again.

Porsche basically turbo'd and shrunk their whole line up. The only NA engines left are niche track cars. GT3 & GT4.

Ford will be heading that way too.... its not a matter of IF.... its a matter of when.

And they've got their niche NA engine for track cars.... 5.2L FPC.

Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I want a twin-scolled 289/4.7!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Whatever the GT500 is, my money's on the Voodoo block in crossplane confguration with twin-turbos feeling a large ass MAF and plenum.

Question for the smart engine guys here... May be a really dumb question but what's the possibility of a twin-scroll being fed by a large turbo?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Whatever the GT500 is, my money's on the Voodoo block in crossplane confguration with twin-turbos feeling a large ass MAF and plenum.

Question for the smart engine guys here... May be a really dumb question but what's the possibility of a twin-scroll being fed by a large turbo?
As far as I know, BOTH the turbos in either Twin or BiT configuration can be of Twin Scrolling design.

I do believe the Audi 4.0 and AMG is a Twin Scrolling BiTurbo however, I have heard them say "Twin Scrolling TURBOS". Both turbos feed a single plenum and isn't a traditional "Twin" system that feeds each side of a V or H engine independently (see Motorsport FGT vs EB FGT)...

...more than likely a little Twin Scroll turbo feeding a larger "main". Both feed all 8 cylinders through a single MAF/TB and Plenum... Intake would operate similar to a Strait 6 Twin Turbo (Nissan), no independent FI for each bank.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I want a twin-scolled 289/4.7!
Right now, the EBV8 looks to be around 150hp per liter while being emission and MPG compliant. The goal has always been 800+ because a Pushrod V8 can't go there and be emission/MPG friendly.

So, doing the quick math, they need about 5.4 liters for 810hp (as reported by the media). The 808 just one ups the 707 and I think someone found it amusing...

No 4.7 yet... but went weight comes down, it's surely on deck.

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

Not sure how likely a sequential twin setup is on a large V8, but the twin scroll would be the faster spooler of the two. I think if anything the twin scroll would feed the larger, slower spooling turbo. No? But even then, I don't think either one would feed the other. They would both dump into the intake manifold. Could be wrong though.
Sponsored