Motor tick....

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I have a 2016 mustang gt performance pack manual. So I changed my oil initially at 1500 miles to royal purple, then to redline oil and now amsoil and now I am first time ever hearing a random ticking noise it sounds more at lower rpms. I just noticed it at operating temps and it was pretty hot outside. Anyone else experiencing this??? I'm kind of freaking out rite now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Here's a video of it

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
how many miles are on it .. i changed mine to amsoil at 1400 miles.. i now have 3200 miles and ive never heard anything like that.

does it do it on cold start ?

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
how many miles are on it .. i changed mine to amsoil at 1400 miles.. i now have 3200 miles and ive never heard anything like that.

does it do it on cold start ?
I have 8500 miles and I just changed it to amsoil. I don't think it's the oil to be honest. I just noticed it coming home. I will check tomorrow if it does tomorrow after everything cools down.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i just came back from a nice long cruize and was getting on her a bit so.. i pull into my garage every night .. and because im anal i listen for stuff oddly enough.. lol, never hear that at all .

you might need to go to a thicker oil seeing your in florida ive seen some guys run heavier oil in diff parts of the country

Sponsored

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
i just came back from a nice long cruize and was getting on her a bit so.. i pull into my garage every night .. and because im anal i listen for stuff oddly enough.. lol, never hear that at all .

you might need to go to a thicker oil seeing your in florida ive seen some guys run heavier oil in diff parts of the country
So I guess it's the heat then. I was using redline before this and never had it until I switched it to amsoil... I will see if this continues with a cold start if it does not then I will be switching back to redline if it only does it when getting hot.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
What oil filter you using
I'm using the amsoil one. So this morning I turned it on and no more tick... I wonder if it's because it got hot?

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Also found some info that the motorcraft break in oil carries good amounts of zinc in it, this is my 3rd oil change, i changed oil at 1500, changed it at 5000, and now again at 8500, i wonder if the oils don't have much zinc in them and when it gets really hot it starts to tick.

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
Was the AC on ? Could it be condensation from the AC lines hitting the hot exhaust?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Was the AC on ? Could it be condensation from the AC lines hitting the hot exhaust?
I had the A/C off when i was coming home and just riding with windows down. I did have it on when I drove to my location stayed there for a hour and then left with ac off and i heard the tick. I would expect to hear a hissing sound of the condensation drops from the ac lines as they evaporate but it sounded more mechanical. Im thinking the heat got up really high and got the fluid to thin out and could hear some mechanical workings of the motor. Only weird thing is it wasn't a consistent sound.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
bbq tick?

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
bbq tick?
Im hoping thats not it. I will see if it continues. If still does it, I will apply a zinc additive and see how that goes and continue testing from there. A lot of people are noticing these ticking noises after oil changes. My theory is the zinc being washed out.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I have it, started after first oil change. Seems to die down after a few hundred miles after the change.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I have it, started after first oil change. Seems to die down after a few hundred miles after the change.
How many miles have you had it for? Do you notice it getting louder in certain scenarios in example when it gets really hot or if you run the engine hard?
Sponsored