Sponsored

2018/19 Shelby GT500 Mustang Spotted! Twin Turbo V8 Powered? [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

93 347 Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 SVT Mustangs (all sold)
No need to destroke the 6.2 at all. At the current deck height, Ford was able to get 500cid. They could drop the deck to nine inches and still get 6.2 liters without hurting the rod to stroke ratio.
Seems to me it's against their mantra of using smaller displacements with much greater efficiency. A 6.2 just wouldn't be fair for everyone else to have to compete against. The GM and Mopar fanboys would lose their minds.
Sponsored

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Seems to me it's against their mantra of using smaller displacements with much greater efficiency. A 6.2 just wouldn't be fair for everyone else to have to compete against. The GM and Mopar fanboys would lose their minds.
If Ford put out a supercharged 6.2, it would hurt feelings. I honestly would love to see the reactions. But I hope instead they move the game up one step using a smaller displacement engine and some turbos.

Satan

Overlord.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13' Boss.
It's just not practical anymore for their game to do big cube and big blower. It's not as efficient as turbos now. I can see a Mach 1 variant with a forged engine and supercharger from factory as a package, but even now with places like Lebanon ford offering the 727 package for $39,999 it's hard to buy something like that from ford for what, $55,000-$60,000 just because it'll have a Mach 1 sticker on it?

DohctorSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Mark Viii LSC
I understand all the potential problems with a 6.2. But does any of those problems exceed building the world's largest V-8 FPC? Would the 6.2, with it's incredible potential, end the horsepower wars forever? GM and FCA couldn't answer with their current pushrod technology? I bring the 6.2 up because I've been hearing for years she was dead period, but she just got a horsepower and torque and bump for the SuperDuty. The engine called Boss just won't die. We Ford fans have gotten to see some very special moves by Ford(Trinity and FPC) and I think we will see one more very special V-8 before the V-6's overtake everything and we do have a top line 3.5 in a Mustang(gag!). Again Boss 429 would shake the automotive world probably as much as Voodoo, and look how much good press that has gotten Ford. And come on guys, FI on the Voodoo isn't going to happen at an already scary high 12:1. And it would ruin the characteristics of a masterpiece.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I understand all the potential problems with a 6.2. But does any of those problems exceed building the world's largest V-8 FPC? Would the 6.2, with it's incredible potential, end the horsepower wars forever? GM and FCA couldn't answer with their current pushrod technology? I bring the 6.2 up because I've been hearing for years she was dead period, but she just got a horsepower and torque and bump for the SuperDuty. The engine called Boss just won't die. We Ford fans have gotten to see some very special moves by Ford(Trinity and FPC) and I think we will see one more very special V-8 before the V-6's overtake everything and we do have a top line 3.5 in a Mustang(gag!). Again Boss 429 would shake the automotive world probably as much as Voodoo, and look how much good press that has gotten Ford. And come on guys, FI on the Voodoo isn't going to happen at an already scary high 12:1. And it would ruin the characteristics of a masterpiece.
Ford has the worlds largest V8 FPC. They would need to hit 6.6L to best lambos 6.5L V12 for worlds largest FPC.

The 6.2 also only recieved torque upgrades to 430. HP remains the same.

Sponsored

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Ford has the worlds largest V8 FPC. They would need to hit 6.6L to best lambos 6.5L V12 for worlds largest FPC.

The 6.2 also only recieved torque upgrades to 430. HP remains the same.
V12s don't use flat plane cranks. They have the same advantages as FPC V8s because they are naturally balanced so they don't need huge counterweights, but the crank pins are places every 120°, not 180°.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
V12s don't use flat plane cranks. They have the same advantages as FPC V8s because they are naturally balanced so they don't need huge counterweights, but the crank pins are places every 120°, not 180°.
You're 100% correct. Not sure what I was thinking there, basically two incline 6s.

Just did a whole lot more reading on it.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ford could always de-stroke the voodoo to 5.0(or 4.8), drop the compression, add the twin turbos and presto:750hp!!

A little tune, bigger turbos and intercooler via the aftermarket and we have 1000 hp Mustangs on the street.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
With a tune from Livernoise, the 3.5 pushed a 5,500lb F-150 thru the lights at 12.1 while remaining stock. Now shed 2,000lbs, shorter wheel base for launches, much lighter drive train and far better tires......Don't knock the 3.5 TT. One very unsung Hero!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Ford could always de-stroke the voodoo to 5.0(or 4.8), drop the compression, add the twin turbos and presto:750hp!!

A little tune, bigger turbos and intercooler via the aftermarket and we have 1000 hp Mustangs on the street.
Why destroke it......?

Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Why destroke it......?
Some people here seemed concerned about displacement, so that's a way to reduce it. But more so because FPC engines have more vibration than a CPC engine, this is a way to address the issue with a shorter rod/piston ratio and to make the engine more "oversquare".

Not that Ford may feel any of this is an issue. When Ferrari went to turbos on their 458(NA) to 488(FI)-they reduce the displacement of the engine and still picked up 100+ hp.

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
I'm of the opinion that Ford will keep the displacement at 5.2L or less. A larger displacement engine doesn't seem consistent with the ecoboost strategy.

Also I'm not convinced that it will be a flat plane crank engine. If it is a "hot-v" turbo engine with twin-scroll turbochargers then the exhaust ports from the two banks of cylinders can be crossed over to get even pressure pulses. As a result, you can get the benefits of a FPC without the vibrations. This is what BMW and Mercedes do on their turbo V8s. It also means the engine will sound more like a FPC engine. Finally, it is worth considering that Ford is already offering a cross plane crank for the 5.2 through Ford Racing. Did they develop that crank only for the aftermarket?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
150hp per liter a 5.0 would make 750hp...

But using PTWA on a Coyote up to the ol' 5.4 would be...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I'm of the opinion that Ford will keep the displacement at 5.2L or less. A larger displacement engine doesn't seem consistent with the ecoboost strategy.

Also I'm not convinced that it will be a flat plane crank engine. If it is a "hot-v" turbo engine with twin-scroll turbochargers then the exhaust ports from the two banks of cylinders can be crossed over to get even pressure pulses. As a result, you can get the benefits of a FPC without the vibrations. This is what BMW and Mercedes do on their turbo V8s. It also means the engine will sound more like a FPC engine. Finally, it is worth considering that Ford is already offering a cross plane crank for the 5.2 through Ford Racing. Did they develop that crank only for the aftermarket?
This Ecoboost is a tad bit different. You see, the near future Ford Concept vehicles will be mostly trucks. The EBV8 Raptor, Lighting, Bronco... all require a large Ecoboost engine. Initially, we got to see the Compact/Sports Coupe/Car Supercar line up... Now that the market is swinging toward Trucks/SUV's, Ford will release that lineup. All will be revealed before 2020...

The GT500 is THE ONLY car structure that can handle an EBV8 because it is the only V8 ready car platform.

So, you are correct. This is outside of the traditional lineup. However, the future lineup will require a larger engines. This is where a PTWA EB Coyote comes in handy.

Plus, the Coyote can probably interchange a Single, Bi- and Twin Turbo design at will. Maybe an EB5.0 using a single turbo was planned as well as a BiTurbo. That would be neat...
Sponsored