GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
3,520 LBS with 1/4 tank gas - Outstanding!

Would you say you managed to reduce the car weight by almost 10%? :headbang:

...Did you have any time at stock weight and if so, how much more agile does it feel with the reduction of said %? Thanks for sharing any more info!

My plans for weight loss and max aggro setup include:

..from 3696 lbs with a full tank, and nearly full wiper fluid:

go to 1/3 tank gas-- 64 lbs savings
low wiper fluid ----- 3 lbs savings
Rear seat delete --- 32 lbs savings

Would bring the big girl down to under 3600 :cheers: but, I probably am adding 10 lbs of exhaust wrap and ceramic coating (lizardskin)

But, icing on the cake, hoping for the best weight reduction possible - 25 lbs off my gut! - :D

If someone figures out a good replacement battery that saves >10 lbs and can be for daily use, without impacting the electrical system *at all*, I'd love to hear about it...:confused:

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks, my car feels good, doesn't feel heavy or lazy. I never weighed it when I started, but it was a 300A with no options, so I started with the lightest GT.

Here are major weight savings I remember:
Front seats to Sparco
Remove stock front belts and install 4 points (stock belt system is heavy)
Replace exhaust with SW and no cats
DSS aluminum driveshaft
Aluminum front brake hat on disc

Minor stuff but everything counts,
Hood liner, battery cover, engine cover, sound tube
Felt layer under carpet, saved 10 lbs did it when seats were out
Child seat latch under rear seats
Disc dust covers front and back
Coilovers are lighter than stock
Wheels might be a little lighter. Need to check this.

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Got some pix of the car, not that much new but have blacked out taillights and Rouch hood vents (not completely painted yet).

Waiting to upload, taking forever for verizon to send the pix.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Tail light blackout, check.

Roush hood vents, check.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I like those vents. You have to cut the hood to install and get all the vents open right? Just wondering how much work to get them installed.

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Fitment is good, not absolutely perfect as I recall. Will take a close-up for you.

Honestly gents, the car is still a work in progress - and I do not do my own work... So I still have the grille, splitter, diffuser, and a bit of custom paint to be done (hopefully!)

net-net, I have not put the car to any kind of test - and probably will not for a bit as I am breaking in a new clutch (again) and check engine light came on yesterday, first hour back from shop :(
Back in it goes!

I have not cut out the hood vent metal underpinning... I probably will need to with the higher flow from the RTR grille.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
John,

Were there any codes thrown for disconnecting the blinkers?

Sponsored

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
No, and did not disconnect, the units are an overlay
Oh okay, cool. I was hesitant to do the vents but not now.
I can't even see the passenger hood vent blinker. lol

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Oh okay, cool. I was hesitant to do the vents but not now.
I can't even see the passenger hood vent blinker. lol
Oh sorry I misunderstood. No codes from disconnecting the blinkers as far as I know (but the car is now having engine issues!)

Taking the car home from the shop (again) and check engine light comes on.
Getting to home, a bunch of white smoke from the rear smelling slightly like plastic.

Engine misfire codes. I wonder if that was due to disconnecting the blinkers, ha

Car has been alot of trouble. Kind of regret the purchase.

I guess theres some drama maybe with crank position sensor and/or wiring harness per the shop.

V8 with missfire issues
http://mustangforums.com/forum/the-...t-cs-cylinder-4-and-8-misfire-1600-miles.html

* V8
http://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/brand-new-2016-mustang-gt-random-misfire-please-help-539682/

Thing is, no work was done to the engine. It was re-doing the clutch and exhaust wrap, and cosmetic stuff. I wonder if some jerk did the sugar in the gas tank arse move?

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Oh sorry I misunderstood. No codes from disconnecting the blinkers as far as I know (but the car is now having engine issues!)

Taking the car home from the shop (again) and check engine light comes on.
Getting to home, a bunch of white smoke from the rear smelling slightly like plastic.

Engine misfire codes. I wonder if that was due to disconnecting the blinkers, ha

Car has been alot of trouble. Kind of regret the purchase.

I guess theres some drama maybe with crank position sensor and/or wiring harness per the shop.

V8 with missfire issues
http://mustangforums.com/forum/the-...t-cs-cylinder-4-and-8-misfire-1600-miles.html

* V8
http://themustangsource.com/forums/f806/brand-new-2016-mustang-gt-random-misfire-please-help-539682/

Thing is, no work was done to the engine. It was re-doing the clutch and exhaust wrap, and cosmetic stuff. I wonder if some jerk did the sugar in the gas tank arse move?
Weird. I keep hearing how the 5.0 is bullet proof. It's hard to say in your case though as their is an intake, throttle body, tune etc..

Love the posts, keep 'em coming.
A couple of questions - do you think the Avanti wheels with the 285's (and good tires) would be up for track duty? Summer and track wheels and tires have been the one thing I've held back on pulling the trigger on as I want to finish off the Pirellis.

For weight reduction and rotating mass reduction, no doubt wheels and tires are one of the best mods. What would you recommend next? Drive shaft, front rotors (probably worth replacing when stock ones are toast) or lightened flywheel? Are any of the three really noticeable - they are certainly not cheap.
Whats the difference between EBC Yellow and Carbotechs? Are they good on the street or dont grip unless warmed up.

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
Oh man, so sorry to hear that, John. Your misfire code throwing is definitely not from something small, like the blinkers....the cars are built to be pretty resilient that way. Lots of people beat on these Coyotes hard, with no issues, since 2011.

I think your three most likely causes are;

1) Bama tune - lots of feedback around the web about these not being conservative enough, especially for poor CA gas. General consensus are that their tunes are geared for impressive best-case gains, but can cause problems. Have you gone back to stock tune yet? Lund's seem to be the best option for canned, or a good local dyno tune if you've got the time and inclination to find a reputable tuner (I'm sure there are at least quite a few in our area)

2) Something was damaged during clutch replacement - lots of things to take out, and put back in for this...

3) Rare Ford lemon. You could go back to stock tune, and do some of the tricks to make it look like you never had a tune (engine start count, etc - do a search), then try to get warranty service. Maybe do some research to find a NorCal dealer known for being more mod-friendly, since any dealer can initiate warranty service.
Sponsored