Sponsored

If I go FI and don't upgrade the OPG and timing gear...

al3x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
does anyone know if opg and cg and damper would be necessary for just a stage 1 whipple complete kit with no upgrades? It would be a daily driver, no racing,no abusing it, no track, wot maybe for a few seconds every once in a while only
Sponsored

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
http://www.svt performance.com/forums/showthread.php?994775-How-To-MMR-Billet-Oil-Pump-Gear-s-Install-**A-FEW-PICS**&highlight=

Here is a link to a good how-to, I am sure it's something you and a buddy can take out.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
...Multiple turbo cars with 650-750whp have shit the bed. Its only a matter of time. Driving style, rpms, etc determines lot of it.
I have this tendency to think things get hyped because of our hobby of pursuing the perfect ride by improving up on them. I look at every improvement and have to try a weigh where I lie in the scheme of things. I also am stubborn and it takes a lot to talk me into something, and even then I still get burned on occasion. Problem is having insurance is piece of mind well paid for sometimes.

I don't look very hard, but have been reading since the new gears came out and can't count a whole handful of fingers of guys with the failures. Can you count more than five? I keep thinking of the old rule of how more people go to the internet and complain about things, so there might be some out of proportion thing going on with this. Also thinking maybe 5 or 7 blown engines on a on the internet is probably a mix of guys who drag race with drag radials,and show a smokeshow quite often. Guessing it's like your last statement on driving style.

I just want to think I don't drag race or go to the track so I will get a get out of jail free card and don't need this type of upgrade. Then I think of just today how many times I hammered the gas pedal just today and guess I kind of do drag race, but not anyone else on the track with me.:D

The more I type the more I think it might be kind of cheap insurance, just hate tearing into a brand new engine. Sucks (not really) how there are plenty of guys that just do that because it's not their first rodeo and there are those of us that are just getting their midlife crisis sports car and have become so conservative in life they the engine is a taboo place to disassemble when it's not broken. Tough call.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The engine isnt opened up for a cg or opg. Such drama.

I just did an ATI damper and will stop there. I don't trust many people to open my brand new engine. I know it's risky. Seems like turbos have blown more engines than anything Else. Maybe the harmonics are different. But my though is to save my almost 2 grand, and if my engine goes, I get a short block that can handle more power for 5k. Again, I normally am not one to live on the edge, but the more I read, I just am not seeing enough information to sway me with a blower running around 700whp at this point. Again, not saying crap don't happen, and am not even against doing it. Just that if my engine goes, I will be upset at first, but not devastated as I would then take the car to another level. What's next after opg, cg, and damper? Something else may get exposed after that....

I have this tendency to think things get hyped because of our hobby of pursuing the perfect ride by improving up on them. I look at every improvement and have to try a weigh where I lie in the scheme of things. I also am stubborn and it takes a lot to talk me into something, and even then I still get burned on occasion. Problem is having insurance is piece of mind well paid for sometimes.

I don't look very hard, but have been reading since the new gears came out and can't count a whole handful of fingers of guys with the failures. Can you count more than five? I keep thinking of the old rule of how more people go to the internet and complain about things, so there might be some out of proportion thing going on with this. Also thinking maybe 5 or 7 blown engines on a on the internet is probably a mix of guys who drag race with drag radials,and show a smokeshow quite often. Guessing it's like your last statement on driving style.

I just want to think I don't drag race or go to the track so I will get a get out of jail free card and don't need this type of upgrade. Then I think of just today how many times I hammered the gas pedal just today and guess I kind of do drag race, but not anyone else on the track with me.:D

The more I type the more I think it might be kind of cheap insurance, just hate tearing into a brand new engine. Sucks (not really) how there are plenty of guys that just do that because it's not their first rodeo and there are those of us that are just getting their midlife crisis sports car and have become so conservative in life they the engine is a taboo place to disassemble when it's not broken. Tough call.
This isnt an over hyped mod. Unless youre a gambling man with extra cash to burn to be okay with the car having down time.

For those with increased rpms the trio should be done. No way around it.

OP
OP
daltron

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
It has a different dampner iirc. As does whipple. Stg 3 doesnt get a warranty

Multiple turbo cars with 650-750whp have shit the bed. Its only a matter of time. Driving style, rpms, etc determines lot of it.
That is an interesting point, that the Whipple warranty is for a stock engine with just their dampener change.

Sponsored

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
I'm on the hype end of things. I just went to the track, and there had to be 30 supercharged mustangs there. One guy with no opg or anything who said he has over 1000 passes. I'm sure there are stock engine guys with maybe an intake and tune that maybe blew an opg. The vendors who are selling the SC kits, and some of themeven warranties are saying we don't need it. There are thousands of supercharged mustangs out there who would find this forum faster than you can imagine to complain if their engine went. Just not enough supporting data for me. I get it some feel like it is a gamble, and it certainly can't hurt to do it (unless done improperly). So if it helps one sleep better at night, then it's probably best to do it. But again, there is no supporting data. Maybe 5 out thousands is not enough for me.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
The best information I have found on the cause of OPG failures is from a Ford engineer. He states that OPG failures are caused by torsional vibration on the crank snout. Forced induction adds torsional stresses and vibrations that the stock damper is not designed for. A damper that is designed to reduce torsional vibration such as the ATI Super Damper or the MMR/Romac Race damper will reduce the stresses put on the OPG and timing gear which are cank driven. I believe doing all three OPG, TG and Damper is a rock solid combination, but leaving out the Race Damper would be a mistake especially if you have stayed with stock OPG. Here is the link provided by a member here Sigintel who has contact with a Supervisor at Ford Performance.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53571&highlight=Opg

slowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang A6 5.0
Soo let's say you buy OPG/crank gear/damper then have someone install it all what are we talking easy $2000? Wouldn't it make more sense to sell a perfectly good shortblock and combine that money and the money you would use to do the OPG's and buy a forged shortblock or even an aluminator.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Where does it say the Roush kit comes with a different damper? The warranty comes with phase 1 ONLY if you pay the additional $1000 warranty charge. Phase 3 hasn't even been released yet....

cobrakid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CA Special GT 5.0
my thought is WHY THE HELL DOESN'T FORD JUST HAVE THIS "STOCK"????
it would cost them about +$75 at most at time of build....right????

Sponsored

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Soo let's say you buy OPG/crank gear/damper then have someone install it all what are we talking easy $2000? Wouldn't it make more sense to sell a perfectly good shortblock and combine that money and the money you would use to do the OPG's and buy a forged shortblock or even an aluminator.

This is my thought kind of. I my engine goes, I use that saved 2k towards a short block. Your way is even better. I guess I think what I have will likely not fail. I will not go with "it is a matter of when". If any of us expect the same life on a supercharged stock engine as we would if we left it alone, that is insanity in itself. I know some of us do not beat their cars all the time, but we did buy an SC for a reason, and it's not to look at it. I just hit the track for the first time with this car (maybe 4th time ever). I actually loved it. However, I will go 2 or 3 more times and that will be out of my system. I go cause I just want to know what I have in the street form that I drive it in all the time, and want everything tuned perfectly, then I move onto stereo or whatever is next. If my engine goes, then I get a much improved short block. If it does not fail, all is perfect.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Still going to need a crank gear for the Aluminator. There is no way around it. It makes more sense to reuse your oe shortblock. Youll also still need a dampner. Just face it, you gotta pay to play.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
It is all about RPM. The problem arises in the 7,000+ range pushing it hard. Tune up the rev limiter add boost then you're rolling the dice. Keep it reasonable with "stock" FI tunes, and don't hang it on the rev limiter all the time and you will be just fine. But as somebody said if you want more than that gotta pay to play!

AutoX_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack - Black
It is all about RPM. The problem arises in the 7,000+ range pushing it hard. Tune up the rev limiter add boost then you're rolling the dice. Keep it reasonable with "stock" FI tunes, and don't hang it on the rev limiter all the time and you will be just fine. But as somebody said if you want more than that gotta pay to play!
So with my base 3.8 Paxton kit pushing about 550whp max and keeping it under 7k RPM's I'm thinking i'm gonna be just fine, but all this is good info for the future if I want to kick the power up a notch.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
So with my base 3.8 Paxton kit pushing about 550whp max and keeping it under 7k RPM's I'm thinking i'm gonna be just fine, but all this is good info for the future if I want to kick the power up a notch.
Its also about the transition from wot to letting off the pedal abruptly stress on the cg and opgs.
Sponsored